***Florida vs Texas A&M BBALL Game Thread***

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Turnovers and being 4-12 killed us. Idk how many turnovers we had but they were always timely. That's on the players not the coach.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Well he's performing about the exact same way Billy did with these players. What did you expect?

He actually has more talent than Billy had last year. Allen and Egbunu would have been huge additions last year.

I think getting Murphy back at some point might help a little, but this team needs to figure out how to play with discipline. White does not have them playing with discipline and that is frustrating right now.

Also... somebody please tell Francis he should never shoot the ball.... EVER

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not near as down on Coach White as some of you guys. We obviously don't have the players. Our PG's just suck. DFS has taken a step back. Egbunu is huge, but doesn't seem to play to his size or strength. Hopefully, he can develop out of that and become a beast. Leon has come on, and Allen has a lot of potential, but those are the only 2 somewhat bright spots.

Besides the FT's, I just don't see a team with a high bball IQ. The fact that they are competitive with all the deficiencies is a plus for White. Not saying White is great, but I think he's doing better than what many are suggesting.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not near as down on Coach White as some of you guys. We obviously don't have the players. Our PG's just suck. DFS has taken a step back. Egbunu is huge, but doesn't seem to play to his size or strength. Hopefully, he can develop out of that and become a beast. Leon has come on, and Allen has a lot of potential, but those are the only 2 somewhat bright spots.

Besides the FT's, I just don't see a team with a high bball IQ. The fact that they are competitive with all the deficiencies is a plus for White. Not saying White is great, but I think he's doing better than what many are suggesting.
That's where you have to ask yourself how much of that you put on the coach. Last year outside of Chris Walker it never seemed to me like we were lacking in basketball IQ.

I'm not ready to give up on White yet as he's a pretty young guy and obviously has a lot to learn, but it's pretty clear that he isn't anywhere close to where Billy was at this point.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Well he's performing about the exact same way Billy did with these players. What did you expect?
This year's team and last year's team are actually very different.

Common to both teams:
Dorian Finney-Smith
Devin Robinson
Chris Chiozza
Kasey Hill

Guys that left (or got hurt):
Michael Frazier II
Eli Carter
Jon Horford
Chris Walker
Jacob Kurtz
Alex Murphy

Guys that are new this year (or returning from injury):
John Egbunu
KeVaugh Allen
Justin Leon
Kevarrius Hayes
Schuyler Rimmer
Brandone Francis-Ramirez
Devon Walker

Front court:
Without a doubt Egbunu, Rimmer and Hayes are a big upgrade over Horford, Walker and Kurtz.

Back court and wing:
Frazier II is the only guy that we really really miss from last year. We don't have anyone that can shoot the ball consistently and everyone we play sags into the paint to contain Egbunu and company. Murphy added some value last year when he was available and hopefully he'll eventually come in and help these guys. Carter was a low percentage high volume shooter and a ball stopper on offense. Good riddance. For the newcomers, D Walker and BFR have been garbage, but Allen and Leon look like they could provide the offensive production that we have been sorely lacking. Leon specifically might be able to fill the shooting void left by Frazier.

Looking at the whole team, I think we have upgraded the roster significantly. Billy D would take this team to the tournament. Let's hope Coach White can figure it out.

RobertPooner

BANNED
Sep 4, 2015
Why the hell is Hill on the floor in crunch time? He is the Treon of basketball, just another **** up waiting to happen.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
These Gators seem like a collection of misfits who can't shoot straight.
Either the rim is missed or the rim clangs on misses… clangs even on lay ups.
These driving Gators seem to run out of gas just when they get to the rim.
Our guards are too short to do what they try to do.?
FT % is ridiculous = worthy of ridicule. TV announcers mentioned that we are
the worst shooting team in the SEC!
++ Our passing has no snap, too slow-lazy -- too hesitant-confused-doubting
delay in thinking it.
++ This team and this coach are very discombobulating to watch, yet they have
not been blown out (except at UT). Still, what W-L record does that achieve?
I'll keep waiting for the gelling, esp with Leon and K.Allen and Egbunu maturing.
Our experienced players are unreliable this year-- that is an extreme rarity with
any teams in college ball ? Whew!… hard to watch & hard to talk about.

GBHOR

Its Not Awful
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
Fl is 342nd out of 351 in FT %, now while it's a matter of percentage pts, and there are quite a few teams of note low on the list, but this combined with horrible shooting says it all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
Unfortunately it's Going to be another long season for the Basketball team. Thankfully I have a remote and can find something else to watch.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Problem is we love to watch the Gators … succeed. Coinciding with that is that all this
team's problems seem to be fails that other teams don't have … and we have to play
other teams. They seem to be fails that no team should be so heavily saddled with.
It's hard not to be suspect of the coaching, the practicing ? Plus the remedy seems
out of reach.??

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not sure I'm ready to give up on a coach White, but I think the team could be playing with more discipline. He is new to the team and sometimes it takes a while for the coach's message to get down to the players or for the coach to adjust to the players. Everybody is new to everybody.

I also think there is a huge talent issue. This really is Billy's fault more than White. Billy did not leave a lot of talent at all. His recruiting classes were dropping and I think that would based on fears (obviously accurate) that he would go to the NBA.

The key for Gator basketball in the future is going to be if White can do what Billy was able to do early on and get some high profile talent to come to Gainesville. These don't have to be one and done type guys, but guys like Dupay, Haslem, etc... Obviously a Mike Miller type would be amazing as well.

Texas A&M had a 4* kid who had good size and could shoot the ball. One or two of those type guys could open up the floor for everybody else.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
We had DFS from last year and we added Egbunu ? … and White etc.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
You guys are still watching this team? I don't have such a big problem with the performance of the team since it's under a new coach and a new system; but if you're going to underperform at least be lights out on the recruiting trail. We are neither. That's a recipe for disaster.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Yes. I will follow this basketball team to the grave even if they suck.

I can't. It's just too aggravating. Same reason that I didn't watch the 2nd half of the bowl game. Who wants to watch that garbage?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator