***Florida vs Texas A&M BBALL Game Thread***

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
You guys are still watching this team?

I've watched worse Gator basketball teams with less talent. This team is at least competitive. I'm still hoping as they continue to adjust to coach White they will get better. We have to remember that last years team didn't even make the NIT. While this team has more talent and I want to see them make the NCAA... it might be a smaller step.

I also agree that we need to see great recruiting, but this team is very very young and only one senior (DFS) is leaving. The reality is that there might not be much room for kids to come in next year. It might take a couple of years and the new ODome to really bring in the talent we need.

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
You guys are still watching this team? I don't have such a big problem with the performance of the team since it's under a new coach and a new system; but if you're going to underperform at least be lights out on the recruiting trail. We are neither. That's a recipe for disaster.
I'll watch every game, even if we lose them all by 40.

We have improved since the start of the season. It's just taking longer to get this team to gel since no one can shoot. If we can just beat Kentucky or WV I see us in the NCAA Tournament. That would be a step up from last season.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Hey guys,
Here is the best part of all for me.
The UAA just announced that my seats will go from $850 each to $1500 next year and $1700 the following year.

Great timing, as I watch our program in free fall, I get the opportunity to throw gobs of money at it.
This may be the end of 35 years for me.

Would you pay $1500 for a seat to watch these guys?

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
You guys are still watching this team? I don't have such a big problem with the performance of the team since it's under a new coach and a new system; but if you're going to underperform at least be lights out on the recruiting trail. We are neither. That's a recipe for disaster.
The Hester kid looks pretty good

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
We played a top 15 team last night that has more talent than us at their place. Whites game plan gave us a chance to win. Players making bonehead mistakes at critical times is on the players. I don't think we're much more talented than we were last year.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
We played a top 15 team last night that has more talent than us at their place. Whites game plan gave us a chance to win. Players making bonehead mistakes at critical times is on the players. I don't think we're much more talented than we were last year.
So it does count as another moral victory? I was wondering about that. Great, so how many MV's does that make for the Tennessee Gators so far this year?

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Hey guys,
Here is the best part of all for me.
The UAA just announced that my seats will go from $850 each to $1500 next year and $1700 the following year.

Great timing, as I watch our program in free fall, I get the opportunity to throw gobs of money at it.
This may be the end of 35 years for me.

Would you pay $1500 for a seat to watch these guys?

That's a hefty hike, but at least you'll be sitting in basically a new arena.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member

Glad to see you've kinda changed your position on White. What happened that caused that (genuinely interested)?

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Glad to see you've kinda changed your position on White. What happened that caused that (genuinely interested)?
The last 2 games we've played better. Atleast defensively we are. I've also come to realize we're not that talented. This is a young group adjusting to a new coach. I'm not sold on white yet but this wasn't a discouraging loss.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
So it does count as another moral victory? I was wondering about that. Great, so how many MV's does that make for the Tennessee Gators so far this year?
I didn't say we should be happy we kept it close. Just saying this wasn't our most embarrassing loss of the year and I wouldn't put it on the coaching staff. We're getting good looks and defending really well. Free throws and timely turnovers aren't usually the coaches fault.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
I didn't say we should be happy we kept it close. Just saying this wasn't our most embarrassing loss of the year and I wouldn't put it on the coaching staff. We're getting good looks and defending really well. Free throws and timely turnovers aren't usually the coaches fault.
Yeah, I re-read your post and it was still appropriately negative so maybe the MV sas was a little over the top LOL.

But who decides what players are on the floor at the critical end of a close game? Having Hill out there is not good coaching because he's a huge liability at the line. As I recall he missed a couple of critical FT in the last couple minutes of the game.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, I re-read your post and it was still appropriately negative so maybe the MV sas was a little over the top LOL.

But who decides what players are on the floor at the critical end of a close game? Having Hill out there is not good coaching because he's a huge liability at the line. As I recall he missed a couple of critical FT in the last couple minutes of the game.
I can't argue with that. I thought allen should be on floor myself.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
The last 2 games we've played better. Atleast defensively we are. I've also come to realize we're not that talented. This is a young group adjusting to a new coach. I'm not sold on white yet but this wasn't a discouraging loss.

I actually think we are very talented, just young. We don't put it all together though. We seem to always have a couple players play really well, but then a couple will disappear. Once we can start putting together more complete games we will be good IMO.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I just don't understand the "we're young" excuse. College basketball is full of One & Dones. This isn't a sport that requires 3 years before going pro so you aren't "young" anymore.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
I just don't understand the "we're young" excuse. College basketball is full of One & Dones. This isn't a sport that requires 3 years before going pro so you aren't "young" anymore.

Can we use the first year head coach excuse? It's going to take time to gel man

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
We aren't young anyway. Only Allen and Hayes are in their first year out of high school. I would bet that the average age of this team is older than our first title team.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I was listening to sports radio the other day and they were talking about the NBA and the lack of players who attend multiple years of college before going pro. That it just isn't needed.

They mentioned the last great NBA player to complete 4 years of college ball before going pro was Tim Duncan, who is about to retire. Other than JJ Redick, who they threw out that name, can you think of anyone else?

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
They mentioned the last great NBA player to complete 4 years of college ball before going pro was Tim Duncan, who is about to retire. Other than JJ Redick, who they threw out that name, can you think of anyone else?
Didn't Jo stay here all 4 years? Maybe he's not considered as "great"? Is to me though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator