Foley understands the fans..... ESPN

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator;n174870 said:
I think it's funny that you're calling for his head.

Would you agree that if Mac doesn't win and win big that Foley should be fired?

LadyGator74

Sep 21, 2014
Even in corporate America, mistakes are made but the manager/director of the department w/in the company usually takes a financial hit in regard to his bonus or raise when they occur. Muschamp was given a raise and an extension based on one good season and then proceeded to reverse course to the extent that the UF football program suffered loses and humiliations of historic proportion. I have now heard it said/reported that Foley let his deep friendship with Muschamp cloud his decision-making. He just kept hoping that WM would turn the program around. You cannot have it both ways in the business world, not at the level it has to be handled in high stakes SEC football. Yes, it was a definite learning experience for a well-seasoned AD, and yes, it is now just water under the dam....until it isn't. The future alone holds those answers, but for now, IMO, Foley is the one who needs to take a hit in the wallet, and the pedestal on which he stands at UF needs to be shortened a bit. Muschamp got the best of us and we will just have to live with that. To sum up, as OX simply stated, "the whole thing is a major embarrassment."

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
PatDooleySucks;n174849 said:
I've brought this up in other posts and didn't get a lot of traction with it. Muschamp deserved to be fired last year. I actually wanted him fired after the Miami game. However, what position would you rather be in, or which coach would you rather have? Coach Mac or James Franklin or Charlie Strong? If Muschamp was fired last year, it would have been likely that Foley went after Strong. There would have been outside shot at Freeze. He would not have gone after Mac. I would prefer Mac over Strong or Franklin. That's assuming Franklin or Strong came here. What if they didn't? Last year was a bad year to be searching for a head coach. Were these Foley's reasons for not firing Chimp last year, probably not. But Foley may not have wanted to get in a coaching search while USC/Texas/Penn State were searching. Just a thought. I'd rather Mac than any of those guys, and he wouldn't be here had Chimp been canned last year.

Strong wouldn't have been back, there is some personal issues between him an Foley (not due to race)... so the real question of the coaches that were hired last year, which ones would you have taken over Mac... Harsin (Boise State), Franklin (Penn State), Blake Anderson (Arkansas State), Jeff Monken (Army), Dino Babers (Bowling Green), Bob Diaco (U Conn), Chris Creighton (E. Mich), Charlie Partridge (FAU), Willie Fritz (GSU), Bobby Petrino (Louisville), Mark Whipple (U Mass), Chuck Martin (Miami of Ohio), Bill Clark (UAB, FA now), Derek Mason (Vanderbilt), Dave Clawson (Wake Forest), Chris Petersen (Washington), Jeff Brohm (Western Kentucky), or Craig Bohl (Wyoming).

I limited the list to these names because these were all the new hires, so in hindsight the ones we knew were available, not to say others wouldn't have been.

The only on this list that would be a possibility over Coach Mac is either Petersen or Harsin. But overall the coaching pool was pretty dry last offseason, but I would have fully agreed with Muschamp being fired after the Vanderbilt and especially the GSU game (Check GSMB if you do not believe that was my opinion).

But it's a opportunity cost, who do you replace with, and in hindsight at this point are we better at the coaching position now with the year wait?

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
T REX;n174854 said:
Short term? I laughed out LOUD!!!!!

I can't argue the past several YEARS (I emphasize that for you, as I expect you'd do for me) aren't a painful black hole. However, the point I was making is that after this recruiting class and once we have paid off the contractual obligation, how does WM hurt us anymore? We've suffered as a fan base for years, but from today forward, what's left? WM can't do us anymore damage, and IMO it's just positive opportunity with JMac going forward. Yeah, things can always get worse (CeCe's dad, more coaching flips, etc) but where do you see WM, or JF for that matter, shooting us in the foot as an impending future event? Where does the WM pain end for you?

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Gatoravatara;n174911 said:
If it comes up that there were NCAA scandals under WM's tenure.

Absolutely agree. Here's to keeping the current state that there has been no whiff of any such activity.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
ppinesgator;n174657 said:
Welcome to the real world, folks, where you attract coaches with contracts fat with incentives and have those work against you when the relationship doesn't work out well. CFB is a big-money business and if you can't pony up and be generous, you're not going to stay up with the Bidding Wars currently being waged by D1 football programs.

Our Athletic Association is going to be $90 million in debt once the cash is spent on the indoor facility. Let that sink in. Foley's not the problem - while he's partially responsible for our troubles in football of late, he's still one of the top 5 AD's in the country. The problem is the power and leverage celebrity-level coaches now wield. Even after you fire them, the cost you. The cost to keep up with indoor training facilities, plush locker rooms, dorms and such - CFB is becoming a bloated and commercialized empire for the elite programs and coaches to rule.

I thought we had already lined up a lot of pledges to pay for most of the IPF.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
T REX;n174851 said:
There is an obvious succession plan in place. He's been grooming someone I am sure. Don't take it all crazy. He wasn't going to be AD forever.
No one involved with the previous decision-making here at UF since 2000 at least should be considered.

You don't fire Mushchimp and Zook then hire their assistant. You go find a person who has proven capable of the job at some other school.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n174895 said:
The only on this list that would be a possibility over Coach Mac is either Petersen or Harsin.
Every BSU coach has flopped when he left.

The Air Force coach was 3-0 vs. Mac.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n175276 said:
No one involved with the previous decision-making here at UF since 2000 at least should be considered.

You don't fire Mushchimp and Zook then hire their assistant. You go find a person who has proven capable of the job at some other school.

I doubt we go outside the athletic dept family. Just don't see it. I hope Foley disappears though from UF. He seems like a meddler.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n175276 said:

And what school's ad would you like to poach?

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n175277 said:
Every BSU coach has flopped when he left.

The Air Force coach was 3-0 vs. Mac.

Harsin did alright with Arkansas state where Mulzhan and Freeze came from. But it is too early to tell on either of them at their current positions.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Foley deserves to leave on his own terms......

It's not like our Athelitic Dept. is in shambles, we are still a Top 5 program.

Great Leaders can and do admit mistakes and move on. I just think Foley is wrong with his "that's just the way it is" statement.
True, he can't undo it but he can clear the air and join the "real world" again.

C

Clayton Aldridge

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lets be real. Foley obviously makes bad decisions. Steve Spurrier called him back in 2004, expressing interest in getting his old job back. What was Jeremy's response? " Send in a resume." Really? You decided to turn your back on the man who brought you 7 SEC titles and a national title, and went for a guy with zero Florida ties. What'd that get you? Yeah, two national titles. He also left, came back, and left again, and is now coaching his hometown school to national titles. Good move, Foley. Dumbass.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Clayton Aldridge;n175570 said:
Lets be real. Foley obviously makes bad decisions. Steve Spurrier called him back in 2004, expressing interest in getting his old job back. What was Jeremy's response? " Send in a resume." Really? You decided to turn your back on the man who brought you 7 SEC titles and a national title, and went for a guy with zero Florida ties. What'd that get you? Yeah, two national titles. He also left, came back, and left again, and is now coaching his hometown school to national titles. Good move, Foley. Dumbass.

And you know for certain that SOS would have brought more national titles to UF if he came back?

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

It was Machen that said SOS can apply like everyone else not Foley. Machen was hiring Meyer no matter what. He might have just relayed what Machen told him.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
You decided to turn your back on the man who brought you 7 SEC titles and a national title, and went for a guy with zero Florida ties. What'd that get you? Yeah, two national titles
Nobody love SOS more than I. They should name the street the stadium and the field after him. He is why we are a national power today. But you answered why they hired UM. He is the REAL deal. Those two national titles and SEC titles came in half the time SOS was there. Nobody could have predicted all the other sh#t and if they could they win the lottery and move away. Urban earned every penny we gave him. Ask about 99% of the other schools if they trade TWO national titles in the last decade for some turmoil. YOU know the answer/

Now, would I have still wanted SOS back even knowing we get a Tebow and two more national titles.........YOU DAMN right. SOS is ours and always will be but he burned out little too and wanted to see if the F&G works in the NFL. Then he wanted to coach kids again. I would have taken him back in a NY minute ......but its hard to discredit the success we had with Urb especially when it went hand in hand with the 04s. We were absolutely the talk of the NCAA awhile. The ESPN lead in, the TOP PHKN DOG

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Lol, hiring Meyer was the best move he ever made. You act as if we're worse off by having 2 championships.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n175575 said:
It was Machen that said SOS can apply like everyone else not Foley. Machen was hiring Meyer no matter what. He might have just relayed what Machen told him.

This is the best evidence I have heard regarding that situation. It actually makes sense. It really makes it look like it was Machen pulling the strings not Foley.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator