Franks to be named starter?

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Franks did not have a good freshman year. Apparently it was bad enough that he has catapulted past Driskel, LDR, Kestahn, Deonte, Kyle and a few others as the most unpopular, disliked and ridiculed Gator in years.

I don’t think he had a good freshman year either but I’m rooting hard for him because I like the kid. He appears to be a good kid.

The attacks have gone beyond just his deficiencies at QB and now include negative judgements of his personality, work ethic and intelligence.

I love that DM talked about his leadership, hard work and his interaction with his teammates. DM also talked In his presser about Josh Hammonds leadership role on team and then later yesterday Josh is quoted talking about Feleipe’s leadership being a significant factor in his winning the starting job.

I don’t how much Franks will improve. I think by next year EJ will have the reins anyway. But I respect the way this kid has persevered in the face of adversity and hostility.

His biggest sin is not being as good a QB as we want him to be. I think he’ll be better this year.

leogator

May 5, 2018
Leadership is fine and all that but I will let results speak for themselves. I will cheer for him and I hope he succeeds! I am a Gator fan after all.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
I still havent given up on Franks. I think with some good coaching he's got potential. No one looked good on a Mac or Muschamp team
Franks is our less talented version of Josh Allen, 6' 5", 240, huge arm for the long ball. Ask Buffalo how that is working out. They thought the same thing, his poor completion percentage, slow decision making, and bad TD to INT percentage was just because he hadn't had real coaching yet.

Franks should show some improvement under Mullen with this simplified offense, but generally after a few starts you can see what you have in a QB and Franks isn't going to all of a sudden develop the ability to process everything and make quick good decisions. He's not going to all of a sudden have a short throwing motion, accuracy and a quick release. We'll be lucky if he's serviceable, but that is probably asking a lot.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Franks is our less talented version of Josh Allen, 6' 5", 240, huge arm for the long ball. Ask Buffalo how that is working out. They thought the same thing, his poor completion percentage, slow decision making, and bad TD to INT percentage was just because he hadn't had real coaching yet.

Franks should show some improvement under Mullen with this simplified offense, but generally after a few starts you can see what you have in a QB and Franks isn't going to all of a sudden develop the ability to process everything and make quick good decisions. He's not going to all of a sudden have a short throwing motion, accuracy and a quick release. We'll be lucky if he's serviceable, but that is probably asking a lot.

I tend to agree. I might be slightly more optimistic but I don’t know that he’ll suddenly give us what we want.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
I don't see how it could be a heated argument, except with somebody who doesn't know the difference between this...

giphy.gif

and this:

giphy.gif

When the CBS announcer said, "It was a Hail Mary, full of grace for the Gators," I stopped screaming long enough to mutter, "uhh no, not a Hail Mary." Then went back to screaming.
Tell it to wikipedia
Hail Mary pass - Wikipedia

In any case I still prefer the term "Walk-off TD".

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The discerning characteristic is simply low probability, but I do think the inference is to jack it and see who gets it. Franks hurled it at one guy.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Let's ask Flutie.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
He'd probably tell you his play wasn't a Hail Mary, either, and that he meant to throw it right to his roommate. But no, that was a Hail Mary. Three receivers all ran for the back right corner of the end zone, and Flutie just put it up. His roommate ran and got under the ball, it wasn't thrown to him in particular the way Franks threw it right to Cleveland, who was alone with no other receivers around him.
That's why the Hail Mary is impossible to define. How it ends isn't necessarily how it was intended.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
That's why the Hail Mary is impossible to define. How it ends isn't necessarily how it was intended.
It's the simplest play in football to define. If everybody and his brother is waiting in the same spot on the end zone it's a Hail Mary.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
05248533-d1d0-4bcd-bb39-01ab7c7eb672-bestSizeAvailable.jpeg

It says here that Emory Jones enters the game before Kyle Trask.
Of course that is true.... unless they have a wildcat package for another "qb". The other main option would be Toney, but he seems to be suspended. I guess it could be Massey, or even JJ (not likely at this point). It could even be a running back. Many teams have done this.

However Im almost certain there will be a wildcat and the wildcat will be on the field game 1. I doubt Trash will be seen in September barring injury.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I don't think it's impossible to define. If the play is, "you three (or four) guys run down and flood one side of the end zone, and I'm gonna chuck it, and hopefully one of you catches it," that's a Hail Mary.

On the other hand if it's a called play and each receiver has a designated route taking them to different parts of the field, and the QB goes through his reads and throws it right to the guy who's most open, that's not a Hail Mary. It's a successful execution of a called pass play.
That differentiation is clear. What isn't clear is when the play is meant for one receiver and others get in the mix.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Just read the article on GatorCountry and apparently a lot of the personal criticism of Franks has simply been untrue.

His teammates really have his back and specifically point out his film study, work ethic, competiveness, leadership and the example he sets.

Damn near a 180 from what we’ve been told. Stories about California vacations and always trailing the pack when walking to and from practice and bad attitude generally.

Looks like the kid has matured and is very focused on improvement. Neither necessarily means he will be a Great QB but I wish we could quit personally hammering this kid. Good Gator and should be treated as such.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Just read the article on GatorCountry and apparently a lot of the personal criticism of Franks has simply been untrue.

His teammates really have his back and specifically point out his film study, work ethic, competiveness, leadership and the example he sets.

Damn near a 180 from what we’ve been told. Stories about California vacations and always trailing the pack when walking to and from practice and bad attitude generally.

Looks like the kid has matured and is very focused on improvement. Neither necessarily means he will be a Great QB but I wish we could quit personally hammering this kid. Good Gator and should be treated as such.
I think you're letting your unrelenting effort to defend all things Mullen and Franks get the better of you.

I've never seen anyone on the board say Franks has a bad attitude. Never seen anything even remotely resembling something like that. Also the reports and all subsequent discussions about QBs trailing the team to and from practice and workouts always spoke of Trask and Jones doing so and specifically noted Frank's was always leading the pack and showing leadership.

The only negative things that have ever been said about franks focus on his poor in game decision making, lack of ability to read defenses and work through progressions, and lack of any touch on his passes. To which are all very valid points. There were some comments in the past questioning his dedication to development bc he'd party alot instead of work on his craft but nothing like that that I've seen recently. And those past comments were valid concerns bc he was well known on campus for partying. The QBs under Mac did very little, and it showed.

Defend or pump all you'd like, but let's leave the straw men out of it.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
I think you're letting your unrelenting effort to defend all things Mullen and Franks get the better of you.

I've never seen anyone on the board say Franks has a bad attitude. Never seen anything even remotely resembling something like that. Also the reports and all subsequent discussions about QBs trailing the team to and from practice and workouts always spoke of Trask and Jones doing so and specifically noted Frank's was always leading the pack and showing leadership.

The only negative things that have ever been said about franks focus on his poor in game decision making, lack of ability to read defenses and work through progressions, and lack of any touch on his passes. To which are all very valid points. There were some comments in the past questioning his dedication to development bc he'd party alot instead of work on his craft but nothing like that that I've seen recently. And those past comments were valid concerns bc he was well known on campus for partying. The QBs under Mac did very little, and it showed.

I have never posted a single thought defending Mullen’s or Frank’s performance. Not one. Primarily because I don’t think their past performance can be defended. It is what it is and it is well documented.

What I have said is although I was bitterly disappointed in the hire I think he deserves a chance now that he is here.

As to Franks I’ve said his performance has been more than lacking but he does not appear to be a bad kid. We all know he is a college student who parties (as we all did)..but all the posts that continue to attack his character apparently are being refuted by his coaches and teammates. You’ve missed those posts but I haven’t.

If he does not perform this year. Sit him down. But it does not mean his coaches and teammates are wrong. Just means he isn’t a good QB.

BTW, my choice would be to go with EJ as soon as possible. He’s a gamer. Get him some experience and then give him the reins. I’ve said it frequently.

Omar's Coming Yo!

Gator til the grave
BANNED
Oct 6, 2016

I do think Mullen just like savage will hold the players accountable for their actions and it will show with Franks. The Mac era will be the seen as the worst regime in modern UF history. No coaching, accountability, or recruiting.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014

:britney:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.