Franks to be named starter?

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Last year I wanted Franks because I didn’t think Del Río or Applebee’s were great, so develop the young guy. That “development” never happened. Coaching? Ability? Is it underway now? Not that we’ve seen yet. (He’s still very young, so there is some hope.)

This year I hope that they build EJ into the offense so he gets real time touches. If Franks shows meaningful improvement, great. If he doesn’t, EJ will rightly pass him sooner than later.

In any case, he needs touches.

I couldn’t agree more. No matter how Franks plays I think EJ needs to get some snaps in the early games.

leogator

May 5, 2018
I didn’t see any whining in that article...just more evidence that he has his teammates respect and his focus on improvement and winning.

I do agree the leash should be short. EJ needs to get under the lights early to adapt to the noise, pressure and speed of the game. True freshmen have delivered elsewhere. I think EJ is the future.
Saying something negative about the press...then saying he does not have to prove anything to anybody. Yes you do. You have to prove to us that you're not the same guy that spotted FSU 28 pts. That you deserve to be the QB for the Florida Gators.

chuckmcphail

Lifetime Member
Sep 21, 2016
Saying something negative about the press...then saying he does not have to prove anything to anybody. Yes you do. You have to prove to us that you're not the same guy that spotted FSU 28 pts. That you deserve to be the QB for the Florida Gators.
...And that you have developed somewhat after been through THREE Fall camps, Three off-season workouts, three spring practices...I understand that those were all under Butters, but by simple cookie cutter growth one would have to at least develop basic QB skills. Or am I way off base on this?

leogator

May 5, 2018
...And that you have developed somewhat after been through THREE Fall camps, Three off-season workouts, three spring practices...I understand that those were all under Butters, but by simple cookie cutter growth one would have to at least develop basic QB skills. Or am I way off base on this?
No you're not. A slant is a slant is a slant. A screen is a screen, a go route is a go route. Recognizing coverages is recognizing coverages. Go though your progressions is going through your progressions. The only thing that's kind of different is running the ball and recognizing your keys in the running game.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
This is the first year any of our players have experienced actual off-season workouts. Plus it's the first year anyone of these guys have run this playbook. Bumps along the way are expected. We just have to hope there's significant improvement. We'll find out soon enough.

chuckmcphail

Lifetime Member
Sep 21, 2016
This is the first year any of our players have experienced actual off-season workouts. Plus it's the first year anyone of these guys have run this playbook. Bumps along the way are expected. We just have to hope there's significant improvement. We'll find out soon enough.
Well I know that there has been improvements as far as size of lineman (Buchannon was 285, now hes above 300). Guys are looking like actual football players now, and not steady-puff marshmallow men out there. He said that we will be the most physical team out there every Saturday. So lets hope this change of mindset in players reflects to production.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Have you ever understood a GD thing that came out of Sharkfvkker's mouth? Any doubt tuat the kids didnt either?

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Have you ever understood a GD thing that came out of Sharkfvkker's mouth? Any doubt tuat the kids didnt either?
One of them deals, huh?

At least Mullen is comprehensible. It does kind of bug me the way he's grinning all the time during his pressers though. It comes across like he can't wipe the smile off his face, and he's always thinking "I still can't believe they agreed to 6 million a year".

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Franks has won the respect of his coaches and teammates due to his work ethic, film study, and leadership example. He has gone so far as to say his focus is on winning more than starting. Everyday more teammates go on record as to his character; attitude and leadership. Today it was Chauncey.

But folks who are nothing but derisive about our press corps suddenly feel reporters were slighted?

Although I have never been impressed with his game I like his competitiveness right now. I like a little chip on his shoulder. I like a leader with a some fight in him and apparently his coaches and teammates do as well. Maybe this new found confidence sparks a change on the field. If not, sit his ass down and he’ll never get another chance again. It’s now or never for this kid and he sounds like he is braced for a fight. Good for him.

Last edited:

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Franks has won the respect of his coaches and teammates due to his work ethic, film study, and leadership example. He has gone so far as to say his focus is on winning more than starting. Everyday more teammates go on record as to his character; attitude and leadership. Today it was Chauncey.

But folks who are nothing but derisive about our press corps suddenly feel reporters were slighted?

Although I have never been impressed with his game I like his competitiveness right now. I like a little chip on his shoulder. I like a leader with a some fight in him and apparently his coaches and teammates do as well. Maybe this new found confidence sparks a change on the field. If not, sit his ass down and he’ll never get another chance again. It’s now or never for this kid and he sounds like he is braced for a fight. Good for him.

Like(thumbs up)

Great post.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member

We got lots of failed athletes who like to project their insecurities and shortcomings on this board.

RiverRat

Glass half full
Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2017

Great Post.
If Franks can put "IT" all together his up-side is Crazy good. DM has been at this a long time with pretty good results. I think his words "Franks give us the best chance to win now" has a underlying meaning, bring DJ along with some meaningful playing time and reevaluate if need be.

jhbyrd

Banned
BANNED
Apr 17, 2018
Maybe this new found confidence sparks a change on the field. If not, sit his ass down and he’ll never get another chance again. It’s now or never for this kid and he sounds like he is braced for a fight. Good for him.
Great post!
He will have a much better surrounding cast and a new system that emphasizes QBs being more physical than Mac's offense did. His strength. Hopefully he learned his lessons from last year like getting rid of the ball before going out of bounds and not forcing the ball into coverage. If it turns out that committing turnovers is his nature then he will not last.

Last edited:

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
Franks has won the respect of his coaches and teammates due to his work ethic, film study, and leadership example.

I see all the love for this post but I’m not sure the initial premise is accurate or ever stated by the coaches (maybe the teammates). I certainly hope Franks does great, but it seems even the coaches feel like they settled on him.

Here is Mullen on the QBs:

“They should understand it by hopefully next summer, I was hoping maybe with just one of them it would really click, but I didn’t see that happen. But that doesn’t shock me. It might not even be next summer. It might be the summer after that. A lot of guys it takes two or three years of really working.”

Kind of surprising Mullen was that candid. But, maybe a lot changed since that recent quote . . .

jhbyrd

Banned
BANNED
Apr 17, 2018
Here is Mullen on the QBs:

“They should understand it by hopefully next summer, I was hoping maybe with just one of them it would really click, but I didn’t see that happen. But that doesn’t shock me. It might not even be next summer. It might be the summer after that. A lot of guys it takes two or three years of really working.”
Unlike last year UF has three WRs who can go deep and Franks can throw it deep to them for 50/50 balls. He is physical enough to break tackles while they go long. I just hope Franks gets better at seeing the open man. If teams have to respect the deep ball it opens up things for our deep running back corps and he did run for 81 yards versus Texas A&M last year.

Last edited:

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
Unlike last year UF has three WRs who can go deep and Franks can throw it deep to them for 50/50 balls. He is physical enough to break tackles while they go long. I just hope Franks gets better at seeing the open man. If teams have to respect the deep ball it opens up things for our deep running back corps.

Of the 19 SEC quarterbacks who had qualifying statistics, Frank’s had the worst completion percentage for passes over 20 yards last year. He had the second highest uncatchable pass percentage for those same passes. (Source: What to expect from Feleipe Franks as Florida’s starting...)

We didn’t miss many balls because of the receivers, it was Franks.

It’s still Frank’s though, and even Mullen has observed that it didn’t click for him at the level he would have preferred.

I hope Franks proves you right and us doubters wrong.

DMVGator

Aug 15, 2018
One of them deals, huh?

At least Mullen is comprehensible. It does kind of bug me the way he's grinning all the time during his pressers though. It comes across like he can't wipe the smile off his face, and he's always thinking "I still can't believe they agreed to 6 million a year".

The last part of your comment is funny as hell. I’d be smiling like that too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator