FSU hires Cornrow Norvell from bottom feeder Memphis

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Really who knows what? .... It's remotely possible that the team likes Haggins enough to rebound somewhat. They are in the ACC after all.
Possible they do well enough that officials can reason with their fanship that this is the best choice. Don't you think those "experts" know that whoever they get can produce a lousy season also?

They're facing double barrels. They can save some outlandish expenses and still lose as many games as with Haggins or the new HC. Still, I love picturing their on-field bumbling next year.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Most of the conversation around Haggins is that he'd have the interim tag for a year, plus or minus. Even if he is "officially hired" his contract will be cheap as sh!t. He's not going anywhere, even if they give him a job outside of coaching football, aft this runs its course. So he's not going to bust balls with a huge contract negotiation. It's not difficult.

If Haggins is ultimately the guy (which is the post you responded to), meaning he’s been officially hired as head coach, that would mean he has a multi year contract, he gets to hire assistants who will also have multi year contracts, etc. So no, he wouldn’t be able to be dropped “at any time” as you said, at least not free of charge as you seem to imply. Would he be cheaper than Norvell...probably, but he won’t be working for free and he’ll have a buyout built in lest he gets fired. Ditto for his assistants.

If FSU happens to keep the interim tag on him for a year, there’s a very good chance that would be more detrimental to their program long term. What recruits will want to commit to them knowing they couldn’t land a recognizable or better coach this year and being left to wonder who they’ll be able to hire 12 months out. Any decent assistant coaches they currently have on staff will also be looking to bail first chance they get under these conditions.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
@MBakerTBTimes: WiLLLLLLLie Taggart never signed a formal, finalized contract at #FSU. I asked a few experts to see why that might matter, even after his firing. https://www.tampabay.com/sports/sem...d-a-final-contract-heres-why-it-could-matter/
That’s FSU being hopeful. I deal with contracts and contract law all the time. They were paying him under the terms of the draft contract. He was performing the duties of the HC. A court would rule that he was under contract because both parties were the understanding that he was. Any decent lawyer would crush FSU in court if they tried to claim he wasn’t under contract to get out of any of the buyout.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
All indications are that the Haggins interview went really well.

PitifulFormalCondor-size_restricted.gif

:lmao:

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Interesting, the link isn’t working anymore. Or maybe there’s just a problem with my phone.

Any link that uses Taggert's first name gets jacked up because Ox has it set to add all of the L's......

Interesting read. Also mentions that Butters contract specifically said there was an offset (in his buyout payment) only if he works for an SEC school. Another great job by our AD's office writing a contract not in our favor.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Any link that uses Taggert's first name gets jacked up because Ox has it set to add all of the L's......

Interesting read. Also mentions that Butters contract specifically said there was an offset (in his buyout payment) only if he works for an SEC school. Another great job by our AD's office writing a contract not in our favor.

Any chance Foley is the hiring manager at my next job? I’d like to get me a deal like that.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
...Also mentions that Butters contract specifically said there was an offset (in his buyout payment) only if he works for an SEC school. Another great job by our AD's office writing a contract not in our favor.
Should've added language to compensate any SEC teams that hired him.

CapitalGator02

Founding Member
( . Y . )
Jun 17, 2014
Founding Member
I just cannot believe even FSU is so stupid as to pay all that money and have no plan.
We were dumb enough to not only hire Muschit, but follow that up with hiring of Butterfvvck and give them extensions. The fact that you’re giving FSU this much credit in terms of their lack of stupidity is almost blasphemous.

kepler

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
We were dumb enough to not only hire Muschit, but follow that up with hiring of Butterfvvck and give them extensions. The fact that you’re giving FSU this much credit in terms of their lack of stupidity is almost blasphemous.
I’m a money guy in the end, and this change will cost them over $20 million easy. It’s almost unreal. Even for them I’ll never wrap my mind around going that deep in the hole without a plan. As far as hiring anyone can miss but foley made an art of it.

RiverRat

Glass half full
Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2017
I think Florida State is in a real bad situation here. All of their main big hire targets have told them to go throw rocks. The only dude that seems to be left is Norvell, and we really have no idea how he would do with a big time program, and it seems he has some sort of dark past that keeps programs from taking a serious look at him. I think it's safe to say that Haggins would be laughable, sort of like Matt Luke at Ole Miss. I think the dark days for the semi's are far from over from what I can tell.
Lets keep our fingers crossed!

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Similar to Matt Luke's deal at Ole Miss. They may give him two years and let him get a decent staff in there, pay him $2 million/year w/ a small buyout ($500k or so). It would also allow them to get back in better financial standing. The fans won't like it though, and I can't imagine the recruits would be flocking to Tallahassee either. This will be absolute rock bottom option though (and they're almost there).

may not get top 5 classes, but they’ll still recruit decent

Durty your post makes great sense, but its just hard to believe they came up with 18 million to keep an interim. I just cannot believe even FSU is so stupid as to pay all that money and have no plan. Now they sent another fundraising letter and if they keep Odell I would demand my money back. Somewhere there's a plan, whether they can execute it who knows.

they excised a cancer. Willie was slowly bleeding their bottom line. At least now people will go to games. I’m sure they thought they were more important than they are and would have a big name, but first priority was to stop the bleeding

The guys I talk to in the facility department believe they took it from the all in one project.

I heard that the day the news broke.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
If Haggins is ultimately the guy (which is the post you responded to), meaning he’s been officially hired as head coach, that would mean he has a multi year contract, he gets to hire assistants who will also have multi year contracts, etc. So no, he wouldn’t be able to be dropped “at any time” as you said, at least not free of charge as you seem to imply. Would he be cheaper than Norvell...probably, but he won’t be working for free and he’ll have a buyout built in lest he gets fired. Ditto for his assistants.

If FSU happens to keep the interim tag on him for a year, there’s a very good chance that would be more detrimental to their program long term. What recruits will want to commit to them knowing they couldn’t land a recognizable or better coach this year and being left to wonder who they’ll be able to hire 12 months out. Any decent assistant coaches they currently have on staff will also be looking to bail first chance they get under these conditions.
You must use one of those online contract templates. I’m pretty sure FSU can sign him to any terms he’ll agree to, and since he bleeds Garnett and Gold, could be minimal. Contracts aren’t that difficult to understand.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
You must use one of those online contract templates. I’m pretty sure FSU can sign him to any terms he’ll agree to, and since he bleeds Garnett and Gold, could be minimal. Contracts aren’t that difficult to understand.

Thank you Captain Obvious, but it’s not pretty sure, it’s absolutely certain that FSU & Odell can mutually agree to terms (within the bounds of the law) and everybody on this board (except for you apparently) knows this. However, the question isn’t whether they can do so, the question is do you really believe Haggins would agree to be the permanent head coach without having buyout compensation were he to get fired? While you’re at it, why don’t you enlighten us as to what terms Haggins would agree to were he to be offered the permanent HC job, annual compensation and number of years? You said it could be minimal (again, thanks Capt. O, we know it could be 1 penny per year if Haggins and FSU agreed to that but that’s not happening). Since he bleeds Garnett & Gold and you feel a hometown discount would happen, take a stab at the number you think it would be.

As far as your comment about using online templates and contracts aren’t that difficult to understand, wtf does that even mean? Are you saying that Odell wouldn’t have an agent represent him during negotiations? Do tell.

CapitalGator02

Founding Member
( . Y . )
Jun 17, 2014
Founding Member
I’m a money guy in the end, and this change will cost them over $20 million easy. It’s almost unreal. Even for them I’ll never wrap my mind around going that deep in the hole without a plan. As far as hiring anyone can miss but foley made an art of it.
The amount of money they are shelling out to Willie is absurd, I totally agree. That being said, FSUs administration’s ego clearly did not in any way align with reality. I think they truly believed the FSU “brand” still carried weight and that they’d have no issue landing Bob Stoops by offering him essentially anything he wanted. That was their plan and yet they failed to realize that there is a Florida State logo next to the definition of a dumpster fire in Webster’s Dictionary. Their brand is absolutely destroyed and outside of football, Tallahassee really has nothing to offer in terms of quality of life. They are just in the beginning stages of realizing that FSU is just another football program in the ACC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.