FSU hires Cornrow Norvell from bottom feeder Memphis

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
LOL. Their savior has a 26-24 record as a head coach at a P5 school and they'll be paying millions for the buyout? This sounds vaguely familiar. Yes, please.

He's only the second coach with a winning record at Iowa St. is 100 years. Yes, 100 years. No one wins at that school. Mocking it just makes you look stupid.

But, Campbell's impressive accomplishment doesn't mean automatic success at a program like fsu. Can he recruit? Can he manage a program much larger? Can he handle the pressure of a fan base expecting to be in the title hunt? Some guys are just good mid level coaches and nothing more.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Assuming warclowns is correct, they already had their coach before last night's game. For the first time all season, the ad and prez weren't at the game. My guess is Campbell.
A guy whose team laid an egg last night to finish the season 7-5, has only coached in Ohio and Iowa, and not exactly lit it up on the recruiting front (the only Florida guys on his roster were low 3*s and 2*s), really doesn’t worry me.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
If they already had their coach lined up before last night, why wouldn’t the FSU admin be at the game? It’s not like they flew out to Manhattan, KS. This weekend to close the deal with Campbell. Doesn’t mean Campbell won’t end up being their coach, but this doesn’t add up.
Couldn’t afford the trip.

CapitalGator02

Founding Member
( . Y . )
Jun 17, 2014
Founding Member
Couldn’t afford the trip.
The FSU admin has an international clown community at their disposal. I’m sure Bobo would’ve been honored to let the FSU admin pile into his VW clown car and drive them to Gville as long as they covered gas.

Maybe even they are tired of watching FSU football?
Even the players parents can’t stand to watch FSU football

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Haggins can at least recruit.

Matt Campbell would be perfect. Terribly average at best coach who occasionally loses to directional schooll or 1AA teams at home but, who can't recruit, yet somehow gets labeled "a good coach."

Actually that sounds very familiar, doesnt it?

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
He's only the second coach with a winning record at Iowa St. is 100 years. Yes, 100 years. No one wins at that school. Mocking it just makes you look stupid.

But, Campbell's impressive accomplishment doesn't mean automatic success at a program like fsu. Can he recruit? Can he manage a program much larger? Can he handle the pressure of a fan base expecting to be in the title hunt? Some guys are just good mid level coaches and nothing more.

I'm not sure how Campbell would do, but he'll bring a strong defense. I read a great article this off-season about their Defense. Clemson's entire staff visited there last off-season to take a look at what they're doing on D. I have no clue about their offense though. Also, he still needs to learn to recruit the SE - but I'm sure they'll keep on (or bring in) enough guys w/ Florida ties. We'll see if it happens. Good hire for them if it does - not great, and it could have been much, much worse.

5-Star Finger

Apex predator of the political forum biome
Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017

Making up facts makes you look stupid.

Iowa State Cyclones Football Record By Year | College Football at Sports-Reference.com

He's averaging 5 losses a year. They play 2 non-P5 schools a year and Kansas. So that's 3 wins a year you can pretty much chuck out the door. Plenty of coaches have accomplished pretty much the same at Iowa State over the years, albeit with much larger sample sizes they have more of the 3-9 type that Campbell started with. If anything, he's slightly above average for their program. He's not a program changer. Stop drinking the ESPN Kool-aid.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
He is Chump. A medicore at best coach who somehow gets the reputation of being a"good coach".

A Chump who cannot recruit. An expensive Chump. Please let it be him.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
He is Chump. A medicore at best coach who somehow gets the reputation of being a"good coach".

A Chump who cannot recruit. An expensive Chump. Please let it be him.

I’m not even commenting on whether or not he’s a good coach. But his scrappy, lunch pail mindset is perfect for a place like Isu, where they’re the underdog constantly. I don’t think that approach would work with a group of fsu level players, who’ve won state titles in HS and expect to play for championships of some sort in college. You have to be able to tailor your message to the players, and I don’t think there’s anything to indicate his ability to do that. Unless, of course, he’s as terrible in recruiting as you suggest, in which case maybe he will have that type of roster. Either scenario does not seem promising for them.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I know he wins "one he shouldnt" per year but it also loses one or two per year that he shouldn't also, usually to terribly out match teams, directional schools/1AA.

he isn't known as a recruiter even there and he has basically zero ties with Florida and the southeast.

I endorse this guy wholeheartedly.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
has only coached in Ohio and Iowa, and not exactly lit it up on the recruiting front (the only Florida guys on his roster were low 3*s and 2*s)

I'd think the first part (bolded) speaks a long ways to the second part. How many kids want to leave FL for Ohio and Iowa?

Still, this guys doesn't scare me in the slightest.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Though I was never in the military, I was taught in a different kind of basic training that to be early was to be on time; to be on time was to be late; and to be late was unacceptable. We too were usually 10 minutes early for everything.

If you are 5 minutes early you are already 10 minutes late. Period.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
A few things to point out.

1) FSU performed far better than most of us thought. Not only did they close the scoring gap, but it was done in the Swamp and against a better team than last year. Not to mention they were missing a few key guys. Not saying they don't suck, but I think Haggins has had a profound affect on the team in such a short time.

2) Whorechant sucks. They've been wrong the whole time and all they do is pump sunshine. Might as well be SwampGas.

3) Campbell's buyout is $6 million. Not to mention any coaches he'll want to bring.

Until someone other than Whorechant reports something solid, I'm just going to assume they won't be announcing sh!t

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
I’m not so sure they have a guy yet. In this day and age someone would leak something. That being said Briles is being pumped a lot. Are they dumb enough to promote him?

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Let's not forget that we fired Mac 2/3 the way through the season in 2017 and announced our hire by lunch time the day after the FSU game. These losers couldn't even get someone hired with a 4 week head start. :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator