Fury takes out Wilder in 11

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Wilder down 3 times. Fury down twice.

Fury is just better. A technician. Wilder has a big right hand and heart but just not technically sound.

bayou gator

Lord I was born a shamblin' man...
Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
Wilder down 3 times. Fury down twice.

Fury is just better. A technician. Wilder has a big right hand and heart but just not technically sound.

Fury is one of the best heavyweights of all time. Ridiculously skilled for such a big guy. He was robbed in their first fight. Should be 3-0 vs Wilder at this point.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
That may be the best heavyweight fight I’ve ever seen.

I don’t like Fury but that guys defense is probably the best since Ali. Just can’t hit him.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Not to take anything away from Wilder. He’s a great fighter as well. That big right hurt Fury several times.

looks like he Fury busted Wilder’s eardrum. Not sure if Wilder broke his right hand. He favored it the last several rounds.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
That was a very busy fight for heavyweights - a good one. Fury knows & utilizes more "sweet science" skills. Wilder tried his best, but Fury's defense thwarted Wilder and tired him out. I hope they got paid well.? Wilder's left ear must have a detached retina. :confused:

I do not see anyone who will be a threat to Fury in the future ... unless a more stylish boxer can handle him. That obelisk guy might fare better than Wilder, but he is a light hitter.? Daniel Dubois got demystified by Joe Joyce (another light hitter).? Ajagbe might dethrone Fury down the roadwork.? :cool:

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I saw only the highlights so maybe this is unfair. But best fight ever? Some Ali Frazier fights were other worldly. It might have been the beginning of the end of Ali's ability to walk and talk. The fights were epic. The long term results, if they were in fact the result of the fights, were sad. I don't understand why I like boxing. It's a cruel, violent, nasty, corrupt sport. But WTH I like a good fight.

dz_23

Rich and Famous
Lifetime Member
Apr 3, 2016
I enjoyed, but no where near classic. Two plodders with not much quickness, but I guess thats heavyweight boxing.

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I enjoyed, but no where near classic. Two plodders with not much quickness, but I guess thats heavyweight boxing.

It is now. Not much art just a bunch of slugging. If they happen to connect lights out. Shades of Sonny Liston. Big Strong Slow with a punch. Ali ate him alive with skill and quickness. And Ali was actually taller than Liston. I'm not sure there was much weight difference.

Edit:
218 LIston
210 Ali

Last edited:

Bait'n Gator

Go away..... bait'n
Lifetime Member
Mar 14, 2015
Fury is 6'9'' how the fuch could he possibly look quick? :lol: Comparing heavy weight boxers from 55 years ago to today is like comparing college d line and o line from 55 years ago to today. It's no comparison, Fury is 6 or 7 inches taller and 60 or 70 lbs heavier than Ali, he would crush him inside 3 rounds.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
I saw only the highlights so maybe this is unfair. But best fight ever? Some Ali Frazier fights were other worldly. It might have been the beginning of the end of Ali's ability to walk and talk. The fights were epic. The long term results, if they were in fact the result of the fights, were sad. I don't understand why I like boxing. It's a cruel, violent, nasty, corrupt sport. But WTH I like a good fight.

It was a great fight in terms of entertainment. Either fighter could have ended it any moment. But it wasn’t a classic. Fury looked out of shape and Wilder just isn’t a boxer. He doesn’t jab well especially to the head. He can’t put punches together. And his footwork is horrible….he’s always off balance. But he has a right hand and a big heart.

This wasn’t a classic like a Ali-Frazier.

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Fury is 6'9'' how the fuch could he possibly look quick? :lol: Comparing heavy weight boxers from 55 years ago to today is like comparing college d line and o line from 55 years ago to today. It's no comparison, Fury is 6 or 7 inches taller and 60 or 70 lbs heavier than Ali, he would crush him inside 3 rounds.

There IS a point to the comparison. Is watching two lumberjacks really worth watching? For me that's a big meh. Not only that there are plenty of cases were a much smaller faster heavyweight, with quickness and speed, cleaned the clock of a big guy. I'm not saying you're wrong saying that Fury would crush him. But I'm really not sure that he would. And let's say that you're right. If that's true, then there is a case for a super heavyweight division in pro boxing. If you want to pay to watch that division, go ahead. I don't.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
There IS a point to the comparison. Is watching two lumberjacks really worth watching? For me that's a big meh. Not only that there are plenty of cases were a much smaller faster heavyweight, with quickness and speed, cleaned the clock of a big guy. I'm not saying you're wrong saying that Fury would crush him. But I'm really not sure that he would. And let's say that you're right. If that's true, then there is a case for a super heavyweight division in pro boxing. If you want to pay to watch that division, go ahead. I don't.

did you pay to watch it? Or are you going speculating what it was like?

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
did you pay to watch it? Or are you going speculating what it was like?

I said I only watched the highlights. I didn't pay for it. The highlights were underwhelming. Glad I didn't pay for it. Guess I won't know how to really answer until some free replay is available in the future.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
I said I only watched the highlights. I didn't pay for it. The highlights were underwhelming. Glad I didn't pay for it.

I spent many years and many dollars flying to Vegas for fights…especially when I lived in SoCal. There’s simply nothing like the electricity in the air of a championship fight. PPV doesn’t have that same buzz but is ridiculously cheap for what amounts to be 2-3 major boxing/MMA fights a year. It just comes down to how much you enjoy it. The cost is not prohibitive.

It’s definitely not like it was in the 70’s through early 90’s when fighters didn’t duck each other and every weight class was loaded.

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I spent many years and many dollars flying to Vegas for fights…especially when I lived in SoCal. There’s simply nothing like the electricity in the air of a championship fight. PPV doesn’t have that same buzz but is ridiculously cheap for what amounts to be 2-3 major boxing/MMA fights a year. It just comes down to how much you enjoy it. The cost is not prohibitive.

It’s definitely not like it was in the 70’s through early 90’s when fighters didn’t duck each other and every weight class was loaded.

I get it Marine. I've never been to a live fight. I've ponied up for a few PPVs. The most memorable was Ali-Frazier 1, We had to drive over 100 miles to see it in Jax, in an auditorium. That was all that was available. For a college kid it wasn't cheap either. I could not believe how intense that fight was. Seeing it later on the tube there was no comparison. Seeing it live must have been other worldly.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Wilder must be unteachable: he should study how Floyd Patterson changed his style to reface deface Johannsen. Learn Marciano's short-punch power. Against these hold the-jab-arm-out Europeans. Has anybody investigated powerful uppercuts aimed at that underarm? Can dislocate a shoulder that way and not be vulnerable to a counter.

Wilder has an inner ear weakness that needs surgical repair - shouldn't hamper him as much as a detached retina. Wilder needs to fight his way back to the top - not sure he can conquer sum those up & comers = Ajagbe.? Joe Joyce just TKO'd a slugger (Dubose)? Let's get it on.

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
That may be the best heavyweight fight I’ve ever seen.

I enjoyed, but no where near classic.

But it wasn’t a classic.

I'm largely with J on this, though don't know if "best" as much as "one of the best". I've seen a lot of heavyweight fights, and I'm not watching 260+ lb guys to see them jab for an hour and dance. I'd love to know what heavyweight fight dz and Marine 1 have watched in the last 15 years that had so many knockdowns where they just kept getting up and swinging or that they otherwise thought was better. If you don't think that was a classic, and one of the best in many years, which fight was?

I loved the Tyson era (especially the first Razor Ruddock fight for them each throwing massive punches), too young for Holmes, Ali and Foreman (other than Youtube, which is never the same as live when you don't know if the knockout is coming any second). Thought the Evander/Lewis years and Foreman II years were entertaining personalities, but not entertaining boxers.

I've also watched nearly a dozen Mayweather fights. I can agree he is as skilled as nearly any fighter ever, but it's boring as hell after you get over his impressive speed. It is so speedy he avoids being hit. Well, that sucks as I watch boxing to see guys eventually get hit.

Of the non-heavyweights, Roy Jones Jr was probably my favorite from an entertainment perspective followed by Hearns.

Fury is 6 or 7 inches taller and 60 or 70 lbs heavier than Ali

I don't know if Ali or someone as great as him could dance and tire out Fury, because he clearly is not in that level of shape, but I think he might be more like 90 lbs heavier than Ali or Evander. He's a giant who moves shockingly fast for that size.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
I'm largely with J on this, though don't know if "best" as much as "one of the best". I've seen a lot of heavyweight fights, and I'm not watching 260+ lb guys to see them jab for an hour and dance. I'd love to know what heavyweight fight dz and Marine 1 have watched in the last 15 years that had so many knockdowns where they just kept getting up and swinging or that they otherwise thought was better. If you don't think that was a classic, and one of the best in many years, which fight was?

I loved the Tyson era (especially the first Razor Ruddock fight for them each throwing massive punches), too young for Holmes, Ali and Foreman (other than Youtube, which is never the same as live when you don't know if the knockout is coming any second). Thought the Evander/Lewis years and Foreman II years were entertaining personalities, but not entertaining boxers.

I've also watched nearly a dozen Mayweather fights. I can agree he is as skilled as nearly any fighter ever, but it's boring as hell after you get over his impressive speed. It is so speedy he avoids being hit. Well, that sucks as I watch boxing to see guys eventually get hit.

Of the non-heavyweights, Roy Jones Jr was probably my favorite from an entertainment perspective followed by Hearns.

I don't know if Ali or someone as great as him could dance and tire out Fury, because he clearly is not in that level of shape, but I think he might be more like 90 lbs heavier than Ali or Evander. He's a giant who moves shockingly fast for that size.

I hear ya. It was an incredibly entertaining fight. But as much as I like watching Wilders power he is very awkward in the ring. That…and the fact that he lost rather convincingly all 3 times keeps it from being a true classic in the Ali-Frazier sense. That fight is still legendary 45-50 years later.
Fury is an all-timer though. His skill set is awesome for his size.

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member

Fury at his weigh-in was 50 lbs heavier than Ali, but 20 of it was Flab. If Fury was truly in shape then Ali in his prime v. Fury would be something to watch, IF getting in shape improved Fury's hand speed. If it didn't, I think Ali would have taken him. I'm talking about Ali in his prime. After his train wrecks with Frazier not so much.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Fury at his weigh-in was 50 lbs heavier than Ali, but 20 of it was Flab. If Fury was truly in shape then Ali in his prime v. Fury would be something to watch, IF getting in shape improved Fury's hand speed. If it didn't, I think Ali would have taken him. I'm talking about Ali in his prime. After his train wrecks with Frazier not so much.

Ali just before his 3 1/2 year layoff he was as good a boxer as I’ve ever seen. At his peak against Cleveland Williams and Ernie Terrell was his absolute best. After the layoff he was never again at that level although from 71-75 he was still an incredible fighter. After the 3rd fight with Frazier he was never the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator