Gatorchatter 10 year Anniversary, 2024

Would you personally attend a Gatorchatter anniversary bash in Orlando in 2024?

• Yes

Votes: 12 17.9%
  • No

Votes: 18 26.9%
  • Maybe

Votes: 37 55.2%

• Total voters

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Who is gonna tell durty about brads mom :ugh:

So, crazy story. My dad’s burial at the Jacksonville national cemetery was two days ago. Full military ceremony, with gun salute and live bugler. Very moving. The military definitely does that right.

Anywho, some might not know that the national cemeteries place the spouse and veteran on top of each other in the same concrete vault. We get to cemetery a little early to visit mom and they already had the grave site prepped. The hole was perfectly dug with laser precision and the top of the vault lifted off. We walk up to it…. And yup…. Mom’s casket right there. “Sorry mom, heeeee’s back”

I wouldn’t recommend the experience:lol:

And for the record, if this was an option for me, then I’d request to be upside down and backwards. Eternal 69 baby!

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
You think he’ll have something other than takeout or those mixed nuts leftover from his neighborhood Christmas get together?
Mixed nuts? He’d put out some 4 year old Spanish peanuts.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
So, crazy story. My dad’s burial at the Jacksonville national cemetery was two days ago. Full military ceremony, with gun salute and live bugler. Very moving. The military definitely does that right.

Anywho, some might not know that the national cemeteries place the spouse and veteran on top of each other in the same concrete vault. We get to cemetery a little early to visit mom and they already had the grave site prepped. The hole was perfectly dug with laser precision and the top of the vault lifted off. We walk up to it…. And yup…. Mom’s casket right there. “Sorry mom, heeeee’s back”

And for the record, if this was an option for me, then I’d request to be upside down and backwards. Eternal 69 baby!
HOF right there, Brad. A story for the grandchildren one day, without the numerology. I have seen the military funerals and they are amazing.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
My bil's dad's was military, police and Masonic. Quite a send off.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member

Both my parents are there too. The ceremony for Dad was the same as you described, except they did a terrible job folding the flag. Dad would have chewed their a$$es out.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Both my parents are there too. The ceremony for Dad was the same as you described, except they did a terrible job folding the flag. Dad would have chewed their a$$es out.

A buddy of mine in law school was a marine and he did the honor guard and flag folding ceremony at military funerals when he was in the service. He was very precise about the flag folding and presentation. Unfortunately, it wasn't always appreciated.

One of the funerals he attended was for a Marine who was Black.

Lots of dashikis and afros at the graveside, and this would have been in the 80's. Very militant group, not big fans of Uncle Sam or the Stars and Stripes. The honor guard wasn't exactly welcomed with open arms.

The Marines folded the flag and my buddy presented it to the widow. She looked at him with an angry eye, flatly refused it, and looked away. This had never happened before. He didn't know what to do. He step to the person next to the widow, presumably a sibling of the deceased. Declined. Next in line, declined again. Now he's really starting to sweat. Next in the family row was a young man, maybe 12 or 14. My buddy offers the flag. The kid looks up at him bewildered. The kid doesn't understand what's happening, what the Marines expect, or how the family feels. My buddy leans in and whispers in the kid's ear through clenched teeth "just take the damn flag". The boy takes the flag. The widow stares daggers at the kid. The marines beat a hasty retreat.

Alex.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
HOF right there, Brad. A story for the grandchildren one day, without the numerology. I have seen the military funerals and they are amazing.
I spent 2 1/2 years as part of a Marine Corps Honor Guard. Buried many Marines. Whether carrying the casket or rendering a 21 gun salute I’ve always said it was the honor of my life.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I spent 2 1/2 years as part of a Marine Corps Honor Guard. Buried many Marines. Whether carrying the casket or rendering a 21 gun salute I’ve always said it was the honor of my life.
That’s a tough job.

Attachments

• IMG_2838.jpeg
    IMG_2838.jpeg
    33.8 KB · Views: 8

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
This may be a great concept to raise funds for a chatter thing. $15-$20 each...maybe.

Last edited:

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
A buddy of mine in law school was a marine and he did the honor guard and flag folding ceremony at military funerals when he was in the service. He was very precise about the flag folding and presentation. Unfortunately, it wasn't always appreciated.

One of the funerals he attended was for a Marine who was Black.

Lots of dashikis and afros at the graveside, and this would have been in the 80's. Very militant group, not big fans of Uncle Sam or the Stars and Stripes. The honor guard wasn't exactly welcomed with open arms.

The Marines folded the flag and my buddy presented it to the widow. She looked at him with an angry eye, flatly refused it, and looked away. This had never happened before. He didn't know what to do. He step to the person next to the widow, presumably a sibling of the deceased. Declined. Next in line, declined again. Now he's really starting to sweat. Next in the family row was a young man, maybe 12 or 14. My buddy offers the flag. The kid looks up at him bewildered. The kid doesn't understand what's happening, what the Marines expect, or how the family feels. My buddy leans in and whispers in the kid's ear through clenched teeth "just take the damn flag". The boy takes the flag. The widow stares daggers at the kid. The marines beat a hasty retreat.

Alex.
That's jacked up and I believe I speak on behalf of all vets when I say to that family, take your anti American asses back to Nigeria.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
shocked ron burgundy GIF

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Ok, now back to our regular programming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.