Gators Constantly Screwed out of Signature Coaches

jaywalker72

Founding Member
Current Status: Dumper
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Mentioning this in the Grossman/Berlin thread, it seems every time the Gators get a good thing going, it prematurely terminates, at least in terms of what might have been.

The obvious examples are Steven Spurrier, who should have been a multi-generational signature coach for UF, but circumstances and many variables ended this way, way too soon.

The other obvious example is Billy Donovan, who could have had every significant basketball thing named after him if he had stayed for his career. But, like Spurrier, he had other itches and maybe many of the same variables that Spurrier dealt with at Florida. We can only hope he doesn't return back from the NBA and coach South Carolina.

But there are other examples that I am sure that I am not aware of, plus some that maybe did last a good amount of time that should be celebrated but maybe are not.

Here are two in particular that I was very aware of while living in Gainesville and having interacted with during my time there:

1. Andy Brandi, Women's Tennis

Brandi is a legend and Lady Gator Tennis was awesome with him there. He was a forever congenial dude and we were constant threats at the top during his tenure. He resigned in 2001 after a perfect conference record and NCAA Semifinals run. He was there from 85-01 but felt like he could have gone for another 20 years.

2. Mary Wise, Volleyball

28 seasons at the helm of Gator Volleyball and it has been an incredible run of success. This type of tenure is what I would have hoped for Spurrier and Donovan and Florida. The ultimate prize has eluded her and maybe you could hold that against her program, but Coach Wise is exactly what I want in a coach for a Florida program and her success at a program that never had it before she arrived is extremely appreciated as is her commitment to the Orange and Blue.

Would love to hear any other examples!

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
All true but we also got track and field plus baseball where our coaches are staying.

And IMO CDM will be another.

And it appears the hate is strong w/some over our last A.D.

I think it's time to let that rest.

jaywalker72

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
All true but we also got track and field plus baseball where our coaches are staying.

And IMO CDM will be another.

And it appears the hate is strong w/some over our last A.D.

I think it's time to let that rest.

That's why I wanted to post - to tell some of the other success stories like Brandi and Wise, both of whom I thoroughly enjoyed as Gators over the years.

destingator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
I know what you mean. I often think about what Spurrier's career could have ended up as. I mean, he's obviously still and always will be a Gator legend, but hell he had at least 10 more years left in him. I don't get why some these coaches have such an itch to go to the pros when they have such success at a college program. I guess they're striving for a new challenge, but I've always thought professional sports suck the fun out of everything. Something Spurrier found out very quickly.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
That's why I wanted to post - to tell some of the other success stories like Brandi and Wise, both of whom I thoroughly enjoyed as Gators over the years.

Roland Thornquist is no slouch of a coach for Brandi's replacement. He's been here since 2001, has 4 championships (semifinal appearances) and 11 SEC championships. They are having a bit of a down year, but that's a fluke.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Rhonda Faehn with gymnastics was another good one. 12 years and 3 championships and left to take a role with USA Gymnastics. She was let go by USA Gymnastics after the whole Nassar disgusting scandal and is not doing anything at the moment. She was hired by Meatchicken gymnastics as a consultant, but was let go due to the outcry from her involvement with USA gymnastics.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Ego and money. But mostly ego.

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Rhonda Faehn with gymnastics was another good one. 12 years and 3 championships and left to take a role with USA Gymnastics. She was let go by USA Gymnastics after the whole Nassar disgusting scandal and is not doing anything at the moment. She was hired by Meatchicken gymnastics as a consultant, but was let go due to the outcry from her involvement with USA gymnastics.

Yeah, there's nothing we can do when a Coach "wants" to leave for greener pastures. She is one that I would have loved to keep, understand her decision to leave, feel like we made a great replacement hire, and would love to have her back in a consulting role.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
After the Earnest Graham incident, people in the AD office said you could hear SOS screaming at Foley anywhere on the entire floor.

SOS wanted to go to the NFL, but there is exactly one reason he left.

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014
Mary Wise is the Mike Martin of volleyball, unfortunately.
Sometimes you have to be careful of what you ask for. Carol Ross ran a respectable women's basketball program, but couldn't get over that hump and was replaced. What we have had since is the worst program in the UAA and still falling.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Sometimes you have to be careful of what you ask for. Carol Ross ran a respectable women's basketball program, but couldn't get over that hump and was replaced. What we have had since is the worst program in the UAA and still falling.
Not looking to replace, just stating.

jaywalker72

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

I loved the Coach Ross era, still the best UF has had in that sport, but I thought she was the one that walked away and sort of blindsided Foley, who was working an extension for her, or maybe I am remembering that wrong -- it was 2002 :-)

Anyway, 12 years was too short there, as well, for whatever reason she left.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
After the Earnest Graham incident, people in the AD office said you could hear SOS screaming at Foley anywhere on the entire floor.

SOS wanted to go to the NFL, but there is exactly one reason he left.
Who are these people you refer to?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Who are these people you refer to?
Nunya. If I felt like mentioning names, I would have the other fifty times you've asked.

The comment BEFORE the Graham blowup was "there wasn't a room in the offices big enough for either's ego."

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Nunya. If I felt like mentioning names, I would have the other fifty times you've asked.

The comment BEFORE the Graham blowup was "there wasn't a room in the offices big enough for either's ego."
Your post is a this therefore that. If the ego clash was that much behind the split, why would Spurrier have even considered coming back less than four years later with Foley's presence looming that large?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Your post is a this therefore that. If the ego clash was that much behind the split, why would Spurrier have even considered coming back less than four years later with Foley's presence looming that large?
It wasnt ONLY the Graham incident. Like most decisions there were many factors, Im sure. He always SAID he was interested in proving he would win in NFL and almost went to Bucs in 97.

SOS didnt really consider coming back. If Foley had been gone, no doubt in my mind he would have come back.

The second Fooleys Fvkkup 1.0 was fired, Fooley started leaking the "we were looking for a young candidate that will be around a long time" campaign.

And the rumors were immediately UNC then USC for SOS. There were never any legit rumors about SOS coming home.

There was never a chance he was coming back to work for Fooley.

Last edited:

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014
I loved the Coach Ross era, still the best UF has had in that sport, but I thought she was the one that walked away and sort of blindsided Foley, who was working an extension for her, or maybe I am remembering that wrong -- it was 2002 :)

Anyway, 12 years was too short there, as well, for whatever reason she left.
It felt like a mutual split. I'm sure she knew another Delisha Milton and Muriel Page weren't walking through that door at the same time again. We haven't had a player of that caliber in the years since.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It wasnt ONLY the Graham incident. Like most decisions there were many factors, Im sure. He always SAID he was interested in proving he would win in NFL and almost went to Bucs in 97.

SOS didnt really consider coming back. If Foley had been gone, no doubt in my mind he would have come back.

The second Fooleys Fvkkup 1.0 was fired, Fooley started leaking the "we were looking for a young candidate that will be around a long time" campaign.

And the rumors were immediately UNC then USC for SOS. There were never any legit rumors about SOS coming home.

There was never a chance he was coming back to work for Fooley.
You're denying any validity to the story that Spurrier or a representative of Spurrier contacted Florida about the opening in the fall 2004 and was instructed to submit a resume.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.