Gator Basketball Gators lose to lowly UGA at home; White on hot seat

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
A little different thought on the basketball program right now.

Every article I read about the team or nearly every press conference Coach White has, it seems that there is a constant theme.
That theme is White openly criticizing his team while taking very little blame himself.

Didn't the media used to criticize gator football coaches that criticize their players?

Why does White get a pass for throwing his team under the bus?

Or telling the truth. A recent article had a player admitting he was not eating as he was told to do. You can't force players to do the right thing, you can't just cut them and get others either.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
All faltering UF teams should be evaluated for ? IDK ? =
1) the "why's" of repetitive "whole-team" failures.
2) the "why's" & "hows" of individual positions/players practice drills with progress noted.
3) what are the instructional aspects in continuity & manner along with how the player-group responds.
4) do players leave practices upbeat or beat-down?
5) are promising players not growing better, or they growing worse = they shouldn't even be stagnating.
6) are any other NCAA having multiple starters stagnate or recede over the years? 2 out of 5 is big.
7) Goodness 'coach K' has coaching videos any coach can learn from ... coach John Wooden's book?
8) White's relationships with various segment units of players.
9) what's the nature of 'determination to perform' that is incessantly inculcated into players' thinking?
10) Geez, a cadre of fans get excessively frustrated over repeated fails, it's time to inspect the HC.

No good coach publicly labels his players as "uncoachable" nor comes to the conclusion: "I don't know what else to do?" All this begs the accountability question: "? What steps to make UF basketball really competitive again and quickly. No more "don't know what to do." Please, find reasons that lead to solving UF's storied basketball program's descent ?

Due to repetitive game failures by losing gap-leads, by failing to close opponents' gap leads ....... observable game on-court BBIQ .... observable slack movement (dribbling, passing, awareness of
of potential play-making opportunities = heads-up basketball?

no1g8r

Bringing Reason to the dumb masses
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2017
So if the problem is all coaching, when the Gators do really well in a game, is it because they ignored what Coach White taught them and are playing based on their capabilities, and when they do poorly in a game, it is because they are doing what Mike White wants, but he isn't coaching them right?

Or is it the other way around, where winning is the results of players doing what they've been coached to do, and losing is because they ignored their coaching and reverted to their innate basketball personas?

Kevaughn is naturally passive and unassertive. Jalen is naturally a volume shooter who takes a lot of wild shots. Hayes is a role-player type, not much of a scorer, not a fan of contact, but likes timing blocked shots. It seems to me that these 3 are reverting to their innate basketball personas when the Gators play poorly, and are not doing as they are coached.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Why, so you can bring this thread back up in 5 years when he gets the Duke job? :lol:

He can’t legally get the Duke job because he would be working for his father.
Only FSU can skirt nepotism laws...........although I guess he could report to the football coach David Cutcliffe

Great White Buffalo

Lifetime Member
Dec 7, 2017
All faltering UF teams should be evaluated for ? IDK ? =
1) the "why's" of repetitive "whole-team" failures.
2) the "why's" & "hows" of individual positions/players practice drills with progress noted.
3) what are the instructional aspects in continuity & manner along with how the player-group responds.
4) do players leave practices upbeat or beat-down?
5) are promising players not growing better, or they growing worse = they shouldn't even be stagnating.
6) are any other NCAA having multiple starters stagnate or recede over the years? 2 out of 5 is big.
7) Goodness 'coach K' has coaching videos any coach can learn from ... coach John Wooden's book?
8) White's relationships with various segment units of players.
9) what's the nature of 'determination to perform' that is incessantly inculcated into players' thinking?
10) Geez, a cadre of fans get excessively frustrated over repeated fails, it's time to inspect the HC.

No good coach publicly labels his players as "uncoachable" nor comes to the conclusion: "I don't know what else to do?" All this begs the accountability question: "? What steps to make UF basketball really competitive again and quickly. No more "don't know what to do." Please, find reasons that lead to solving UF's storied basketball program's descent ?

Due to repetitive game failures by losing gap-leads, by failing to close opponents' gap leads ....... observable game on-court BBIQ .... observable slack movement (dribbling, passing, awareness of
of potential play-making opportunities = heads-up basketball?

I went back and looked at some quotes and you're right.

"We don't play the right way. We don't play the right way. We don't. I would say our basketball acumen needs to get a lot better. There's not a great feel sometimes with decisions that we make."
"If you asked our team what's the goal today, it's, `I hope I play well and I hope we win. That's about as shallow as it comes."
"I'm not surprised at all by any of this," he said. "I've tried a lot of different things with them. They're going to have to figure it out."
"Everyone was waiting on somebody to make a play instead of trying to make the play collectively as a group,"
"But that just goes to show you how hard it will be for us unless we can really become a very disciplined, connected team."
"Sometimes it takes going through a season like this to understand how far we have to go as a team and how far they have to go as individuals,"
"We just didn't have it tonight, and I don't know why.
If I could know the answer to that, it'd be a lot easier."
"This is the first time in 23 games I felt like our team played to win the game instead of being wrapped up and consumed with themselves."

Sound familiar? Bus, meet Billy D... who didn't know what to do.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I went back and looked at some quotes and you're right.

"We don't play the right way. We don't play the right way. We don't. I would say our basketball acumen needs to get a lot better. There's not a great feel sometimes with decisions that we make."
"If you asked our team what's the goal today, it's, `I hope I play well and I hope we win. That's about as shallow as it comes."
"I'm not surprised at all by any of this," he said. "I've tried a lot of different things with them. They're going to have to figure it out."
"Everyone was waiting on somebody to make a play instead of trying to make the play collectively as a group,"
"But that just goes to show you how hard it will be for us unless we can really become a very disciplined, connected team."
"Sometimes it takes going through a season like this to understand how far we have to go as a team and how far they have to go as individuals,"
"We just didn't have it tonight, and I don't know why.
If I could know the answer to that, it'd be a lot easier."
"This is the first time in 23 games I felt like our team played to win the game instead of being wrapped up and consumed with themselves."

Sound familiar? Bus, meet Billy D... who didn't know what to do.

Buff, a bit late for you to be dumping on Donovan. Don't ya want to get in on early dumping on White? :D

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Or telling the truth. A recent article had a player admitting he was not eating as he was told to do. You can't force players to do the right thing, you can't just cut them and get others either.

Good point. It is clear that improper nutrition is the problem

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Kid needs to be spoon fed.

I really struggle with the opinion that the players are responsible for everything that is wrong versus a man that is paid millions to win games.
I find it especially frustrating when we all have a glaring example (Mullen vs. McElwain) in our football program where players that are deemed losers learn to perform when they are trained and developed properly.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
I really struggle with the opinion that the players are responsible for everything that is wrong versus a man that is paid millions to win games.
I find it especially frustrating when we all have a glaring example (Mullen vs. McElwain) in our football program where players that are deemed losers learn to perform when they are trained and developed properly.

Not everything, after all the coach selects them somewhat, he also selects his assistants as well. When a student admits that he was not doing what was required and takes responsibility we can tell they do have a large portion of why our team is not performing as we would like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator