Gator Basketball Gators lose to lowly UGA at home; White on hot seat

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
This team is beyond frustrating to watch. As of today they are likely headed to the NIT

A computer simulation bracketology place has dropped us from like an 80% chance for a bid to a 53% chance now and that is with us just over 50/50 to win one of these last 2 games in the simulation.

If we lose the next 2 games the best chance we will have in the #8/#9 or #7/#10 SECT matchup is that it becomes an elimination game possibly since the bubble looks to be pretty soft.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
UGA was due. Last four losses by a total of 9 and last two were down to wire last shots games. Their coach is wound a little tight. This may be the nail in the coffin for our NCAA chance. Next year is my salvation with the star laden HS boys coming to Gville.

diehardg8r

Sep 14, 2014
UGA was due. Last four losses by a total of 9 and last two were down to wire last shots games. Their coach is wound a little tight. This may be the nail in the coffin for our NCAA chance. Next year is my salvation with the star laden HS boys coming to Gville.
Thats the kind of thinking that gave us Zook and Musdump. Waiting on HS kids to come save your program from ****ty coaching. Ain't happening. We have better talent now than Ugay and yet we lost. Because these kids are horribly coached, no discipline and seemingly no accountability for playing like sht. They still end up on the court. The coaching in our league is getting better but our coaching is NOT. That's why we aren't gonna go to the dance.

RiverRat

Glass half full
Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2017
Another hard one to watch, looking more and more like were NIT bound.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Here's where the coaching was lax : from season's beginning, not drilling in what dangers slack easy-going passes bring, not drilling in recognition of when to drive vs when to forego driving, others when & how to follow a driver, etc. Taught no sense of positioning, no in-game IQ flow.

But how against a 1-14 SEC team? Our boys should have come in with knowledge of how to beat these Dwags .....
Against Ga. KJohnson & KAllen drove 3 times each into packed Ga defense & out came the ball in Ga's direction for a runaway layup score. Each one of those 6 reverses contributes a 4 point shift = 2 we did not get, and 2 they did. That's a potential 24 point harm. Then Stokes in just 5 minutes of play got 2 TOs along with 2 stupid offensive foul TOs = a potential 16 point swing in Ga's favor. That's a 40 point uphill battle, because, on this night Ga converted all potentials. That's not counting the bonus FTs when we had to foul those runaways. This team was mentally unprepared by inadequate drilling in practices => coach's job. White put a 2nd-string team out there last night.

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
Here's where the coaching was lax : from season's beginning, not drilling in what dangers slack easy-going passes bring, not drilling in recognition of when to drive vs when to forego driving, others when & how to follow a driver, etc. Taught no sense of positioning, no in-game IQ flow.

But how against a 1-14 SEC team? Our boys should have come in with knowledge of how to beat these Dwags .....
Against Ga. KJohnson & KAllen drove 3 times each into packed Ga defense & out came the ball in Ga's direction for a runaway layup score. Each one of those 6 reverses contributes a 4 point shift = 2 we did not get, and 2 they did. That's a potential 24 point harm. Then Stokes in just 5 minutes of play got 2 TOs along with 2 stupid offensive foul TOs = a potential 16 point swing in Ga's favor. That's a 40 point uphill battle, because, on this night Ga converted all potentials. That's not counting the bonus FTs when we had to foul those runaways. This team was mentally unprepared by inadequate drilling in practices => coach's job. White put a 2nd-string team out there last night.
OR, maybe we are over drilled, over practiced and over stressed. Large portions of the season we look tight, afraid to make decisive moves, nervous and stressed out. That leads to poor decisions and plenty of clanks instead of swooshes through the basket.

Really, this result should have been unsurprising. This is pretty much how we have played all year. We've done worse and we just had a stretch where we did better. Yesterday was a fairly normal, common game for us this year.

Great White Buffalo

Lifetime Member
Dec 7, 2017

Jesus Christ, get off the "inadequate drilling" shtick. So you think White has them stand around with their thumb up their asses in practice? I'm 100% positive White teaches them to make crisp passes, just as he teaches them to get back on D. White doesn't teach them to drive into triple teams, he teaches them to dish when they collapse. If they had dished it and we took and missed a bunch of 3's, you'd be bitch about being a perimeter offense. You bitch when we drive, you bitch when we don't drive. You bitch that he doesn't play Stokes enough, then when he plays Stokes, you bitch when Stokes fvkks up.

Our best scorer is prone to long disappearing acts. Our best interior defender couldn't fight his way out of a wet sack, and against the one guy he matches up well with, he gives up a career night. Everything you described is on the players, not the coach. White's using the same drills now as he used with Cheese and D-Rob. Some kids get it; some kids have the fortitude to fight through; some don't.

Or do you think it was all Billy D's fault when his last UF team had a losing record? Must have been inadequate drilling leaving a mentally weak team, correct? Was it Billy D's fault when Brett Nelson went from a FR stud to nearly useless by his senior season? How about Matt Walsh never getting any better? Was it Billy D's fault Chris Walker sucked ass, or was it Chris Walker's fault?

I don't know if White will have as much success as we'd like, but I do know this mentally soft team just isn't good enough. You can blame White for that, he recruited the kids (Allen and Hayes were Billy's recruits, MW just got them to honor their commitment), but he's the same coach that took his team to an Elite 8 two years after Billy had a losing record. It's not the x's and o's, it's the Jimmy and Joes.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Was UGa due to win or UF due to lose ? Lord a 1-14 SEC team. And worse, what are the better SEC teams due for versus UF ? What about the top NIT teams? I guess White's got me catastraphising again.

With these "so-called" stars coming next year, will White have those players and us confused and complaining again? It should not be possible but it is.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
I doubt that White is on a real hot seat, that being one not on the internet. A turning point for me was two possessions lost due to our out of shape player making stupid offensive fouls, then being benched. Sure the coach told him to do that!!!

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Buff, I have cheered driving every post about that. My Ga post criticized driving into a packed defense in a way that loses the ball. I've not seen us do that before. That's the only post where I've been negative about going inside. Going away from worshiping the arc is the effort (shooting from a higher % place) that turned on this win streak. Once we stopped acting like it had to be a three, I praised what we changed to. But before that watching game after game with no improvement, I griped immensely, loss, loss after every loss.

As to the inadequate practice emphasis ... too many other SEC coaches are putting visibly better "taught-managed" teams on the court than White ... so they do and they'll continued to beat us. If you want to keep quiet about that too bad. But I get upset for better results.

My turning definitely soured against White's coaching results has been a work in progress with White missing progress seasonally as well in individual games.

Sorry to upset your thinking, but non-criticism corrects nothing, not players, not coaches. This year's playing needs correcting.

Yes I've tore into the coaching when we couldn't keep leads and couldn't close gaps. That's not the Florida team anybody wants.

Last edited:

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Jesus Christ, get off the "inadequate drilling" shtick. So you think White has them stand around with their thumb up their asses in practice? I'm 100% positive White teaches them to make crisp passes, just as he teaches them to get back on D. White doesn't teach them to drive into triple teams, he teaches them to dish when they collapse. If they had dished it and we took and missed a bunch of 3's, you'd be ***** about being a perimeter offense. You ***** when we drive, you ***** when we don't drive. You ***** that he doesn't play Stokes enough, then when he plays Stokes, you ***** when Stokes fvkks up.

Our best scorer is prone to long disappearing acts. Our best interior defender couldn't fight his way out of a wet sack, and against the one guy he matches up well with, he gives up a career night. Everything you described is on the players, not the coach. White's using the same drills now as he used with Cheese and D-Rob. Some kids get it; some kids have the fortitude to fight through; some don't.

Or do you think it was all Billy D's fault when his last UF team had a losing record? Must have been inadequate drilling leaving a mentally weak team, correct? Was it Billy D's fault when Brett Nelson went from a FR stud to nearly useless by his senior season? How about Matt Walsh never getting any better? Was it Billy D's fault Chris Walker sucked ass, or was it Chris Walker's fault?

I don't know if White will have as much success as we'd like, but I do know this mentally soft team just isn't good enough. You can blame White for that, he recruited the kids (Allen and Hayes were Billy's recruits, MW just got them to honor their commitment), but he's the same coach that took his team to an Elite 8 two years after Billy had a losing record. It's not the x's and o's, it's the Jimmy and Joes.

Lol

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
It flummoxes the hell out of me how anyone can look at the brain-dead offensive scheming, the listless, inconsistent play and the decline in scoring since the meteoric start last year, and not see a problem with the coaching. Something went horribly wrong at some point in time. The occasional flashes of competence not withstanding, the wheels have come off of a program that I have followed with almost religious zeal since the first coming of Norm Sloan. I've seen what great coaching looks like, and this ain't it.

It may well be difficult to fire White at this point in time, especially if he manages to back into a tourney bid. But time is growing short. One more season like this one could well be his last. If he does actually succeed in landing a top class this year, and then goes on to field yet another directionless, disjointed, dysfunctional team, it will be time for him to go. Oh, and for the STFU crowd, give it a rest - this is forum, STFU is not what we do.

Last edited:

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
It flummoxes the hell out of me how anyone can look at the brain-dead offensive scheming, the listless, inconsistent play and the decline in scoring since the meteoric start last year, and not see a problem with the coaching. Something went horribly wrong at some point in time. The occasional flashes of competence not withstanding, the wheels have come off of a program that I have followed with almost religious zeal since the first coming of Norm Sloan. I've seen what great coaching looks like, and this ain't it.

It may well be difficult to fire White at this point in time, especially if he manages to back into a tourney bid. But time is growing short. One more season like this one could well be his last. If he does actually succeed in landing a top class this year, and then goes on to field yet another directionless, disjointed, dysfunctional team, it will be time for him to go. Oh, and for the STFU crowd, give it a rest - this is forum, STFU is not what we do.

White will get next year to see what he can do but his blaming the players stuff is getting a little old when you see how they can't adjust on offense many of these games.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
This was a black eye on whites resume here. No doubt. Next season is definitely do or die. I like the guy but losing at home to the worst team in the conference in a must win game is pretty hard to defend.

Ocalaman

Mar 7, 2018
This was a black eye on whites resume here. No doubt. Next season is definitely do or die. I like the guy but losing at home to the worst team in the conference in a must win game is pretty hard to defend.
I think White has at least 2 more years before his job is really in jeopardy. Don't think that should be the case, but I think it's a true statement. Look how quickly Rick Barnes has turned things around at Tennessee. And he's really not that great a coach. But he definitely has proven experience building a team that wins a lot - they just tend to fade in the post season. This year with Florida there are built in excuses of injuries to big men, Chase Johnson leaving, 3 freshmen starting, seniors Hudson & Allen not playing up to their All-SEC hype, etc. Next year it will be, yes look at all these great recruits, but they're still young - Kentucky never has a problem with freshmen & sophomores, but that will be our excuse if we don;t make a big leap next season.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator