Gator Basketball Gators trashed by Vols, 73-61

no1g8r

Bringing Reason to the dumb masses
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2017
maybe you could post this in the chat box too. Ya know, make sure everyone knows your opinion on the matter....

Yeah, I wrote it there, then realized I was the only one in the box, so put it in the thread. I figured no one would notice, and if they did, they wouldn’t care.

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
Said it before, but more than anything, White’s facal expressions concern me, he looks defeated. You can’t coach like that, don’t know what else is going on or if it’s simply he wasn’t theguy....maybe it was the new basketball arena, oh wait...

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
I've watched almost every game. Maybe I have homer glasses on. But, I think this team ends the season at or below .500. The problem? I don't think they are that kind of team. I think it is poor coaching. Am I crazy?

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I've watched almost every game. Maybe I have homer glasses on. But, I think this team ends the season at or below .500. The problem? I don't think they are that kind of team. I think it is poor coaching. Am I crazy?
No. It’s all poor coaching.

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
I don't think I've ever wanted basketball season to end this badly

No, these guys were good shooters at one time. Hayes was a strongly built athlete but now looks too skinny and weak. I haven't figured out his offense yet. The kids hustle but he gripes about defense. Our bigs mysteriously get knee injuries. I know how they used to play and how they play now, there only one place to put blame.

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
maybe you could post this in the chat box too. Ya know, make sure everyone knows your opinion on the matter....
Durty, I don't think he's going to fire him. A good class is coming in. He'll wait to see what White does with them. Odds are that he won't do much. The worse case is they'll be badly coached again and make the tourney in spite of the coaching, and then he hangs around a bit longer.

I don't think it's fair to say Stricklin is gutless when it comes to basketball. He didn't hire the guy. Fooooley's lucky magic formula worked once with Billy. And it never worked with his football hires. The book of Stricklin is still out. Nobody cared at State. We care.

I stopped watching this year, and I have followed our teams religiously for years. Now they're unwatchable. I cringed even when we were winning. I think the odds are White will get a plnk slip year after next. I have no idea what he's doing on offense. Neither does anyone on the team.

Last edited:

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Durty, I don't think he's going to fire him. A good class is coming in. He'll wait to see what White does with them. Odds are that he won't do much. The worse case is they'll be badly coached again and make the tourney in spite of the coaching, and then he hangs around a bit longer.

I don't think it's fair to say Stricklin is gutless when it comes to basketball. He didn't hire the guy. Fooooley's lucky magic formula worked once with Billy. And it never worked with his football hires. The book of Stricklin is still out. Nobody cared at State. We care.

I stopped watching this year, and I have followed our teams religiously for years. Now they're unwatchable. I cringed even when we were winning. I think the odds are While will get a plnk slip year after next. I have no idea what he's doing on offense. Neither does anyone on the team.
Hell be fired end of next year. He won't do anything with the talent, assuming that class sticks. And that will be the final nail in the coffin for him.

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
#metoo

This team misses Cheeze. We need a five star slasher and some scorers. Hopefully.
Yes, Kevon (fine player) is not a suitable replacement to Cheeze but we don't have any bigs and can't balance the floor. Egbunu had few ststs on paper but to me was one of the most valuable cogs we had. We certainly can't run a team off the floor, you have to score to do that.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
Stricklin isn’t going to fire a coach that took his team to the 2nd round of the tourney a year ago, and to the elite 8 the year before that. At a minimum White is back next year, if not 2 more years, if next year’s team improves over this year’s team.

We should only buyout football coaches.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
No, these guys were good shooters at one time. Hayes was a strongly built athlete but now looks too skinny and weak. I haven't figured out his offense yet. The kids hustle but he gripes about defense. Our bigs mysteriously get knee injuries. I know how they used to play and how they play now, there only one place to put blame.
Here's the problem. These shooters aren't getting good looks because we're playing too slow. You can't have a small ball line up and try to win at a slow pace. Why did we not spread Tennessee out and make those big guys try to defend our guys like Hudson and Allen and nembhard off of the bounce? Why not make it a track meet? We're not good in the half court on offense so why not try to steal more buckets in transition? Again, you're not gonna win a bunch of low scoring games with a small lineup. We've recruited to play fast, were built to play fast but for some reason we're hell bent on grinding games out.

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
Here's the problem. These shooters aren't getting good looks because we're playing too slow. You can't have a small ball line up and try to win at a slow pace. Why did we not spread Tennessee out and make those big guys try to defend our guys like Hudson and Allen and nembhard off of the bounce? Why not make it a track meet? We're not good in the half court on offense so why not try to steal more buckets in transition? Again, you're not gonna win a bunch of low scoring games with a small lineup. We've recruited to play fast, were built to play fast but for some reason we're hell bent on grinding games out.
I agree,, we need to play Arkansas style with the people we have.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
At every NCAA school in the nation, basketball coaches are responsible for the team that they put on the court. Coaches hire and "develop" a team of coaches that are effective at guiding and developing young high school stars into becoming improving college basketball players. That's not going on here.

....and White's particular brand of "not going on", he has rolled out game after game - sameness. Sameness maintained even with all failing performances again & again. I fear that White will waste the highly regarded talent coming here next year. White will make them struggle. It actually appears that skills are getting contaminated here.??

It's a small bit valid to point out that this is just one season? Still, since it is game after game 20+ times, I find it feasible to think : "UF can find better coaching for our basketball program."
Does Stricklin give UF failing sameness after sameness?

Last edited:

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Just a quick-smile on basketball. The NCAA has rolled out the 2019 March Madness commercial and it has Chiozza's miracle shot against Wisconsin. (I think it was Whisky?) Anyway, you gotta watch close 'cause it goes by in a flash.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.