Gator Basketball Gators trashed by Vols, 73-61

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
https://www.foxsports.com/florida/story/florida-gators-mike-white-crunch-time-011819

GAINESVILLE, Fla. (AP) — Florida coach Mike White said he has a team of “clock-watchers,” guys seemingly content to coast through the final minutes of games and hope to win.

It’s the only way he can explain how the Gators have struggled down the stretch in Southeastern Conference play.

Seriously? :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

The more MusWhite talks about this team’s struggles, the more I think he is in over his head with no idea how to fix things. This team has one of the lowest assist average in the country. That isnt from clock watching. That is from his garbage offense.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
The preseason predictions by analysts had these Gators to finish high in the SEC. Several said we could contend. Instead other coaches have their players performing much, much better than White's gang.Inside playing is the main missing link and White schemes away from pushing that. Instead, he trains them in how to dive for loose balls. In more than 50 years watching basketball I've never heard of that application. I saw a failure at inside play, never noticed any doddering at chasing loose balls.

When our opponent plays their worse game, we play our much worse game. Over and over again and again.

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
The preseason predictions by analysts had these Gators to finish high in the SEC. Several said we could contend. Instead other coaches have their players performing much, much better than White's gang.Inside playing is the main missing link and White schemes away from pushing that. Instead, he trains them in how to dive for loose balls. In more than 50 years watching basketball I've never heard of that application. I saw a failure at inside play, never noticed any doddering at chasing loose balls.

When our opponent plays their worse game, we play our much worse game. Over and over again and again.

True; but we also started the season unranked. Which--I'll admit--I was pretty puzzled about since we had a good amount of guys coming back and coming off back to back tournament appearances where we'd acquitted ourselves well enough.

While White's coaching has left a lot to be desired this year: Allen diving for a loose ball got us our one decent win this year vs Ole Miss. Not trying to be a smartazz, just making the observation.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
gatorev12 ... and you're claiming Allen's dive was a result of White's training?
(I have had this awful vision of all 5 Gators diving for a loose ball no matter how far away.)

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
The challenge with that is that right about now is when a lot of freshman players "hit the wall", because they aren't conditioned for the longer college basketball season. I think that might also be part of why our game pace is slower - White knows he has to depend on three freshmen for the whole season, and particularly can't afford for Nembhard to be worn down at this point.
I just don't buy that . Never have bought the tired legs theory. Nembhard is 18 years old, he ain't tired. You wanna tell me Kentucky's freshmen aren't playing fast? Their rotation is just about the same as ours. What we're doing now ain't working. It's time to try something else. Mike white slowing these games down is absolutely retarded. There's no rational reason for us to dribble out the shot clock and jack up a bad shot every possession.

We're not even running DDO right now. We try to run this set with two guys on the elbow and Nembhard dumps it off and looks for a give and go. Then somehow ends up with the ball running this same set till it's time to jack up a bad shot. I don't see what kind of freaking shot we're looking to get out of that set? It's dumb. This isn't what we were doing the last 2 years.

no1g8r

Bringing Reason to the dumb masses
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2017
I just don't buy that . Never have bought the tired legs theory. Nembhard is 18 years old, he ain't tired. You wanna tell me Kentucky's freshmen aren't playing fast? Their rotation is just about the same as ours. What we're doing now ain't working. It's time to try something else. Mike white slowing these games down is absolutely retarded. There's no rational reason for us to dribble out the shot clock and jack up a bad shot every possession. We're not even running DDO right now.

I'm not saying Mike White is right, just that it might be his thinking.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
No clue man. More observing the dark irony that such training wasn't entirely wasted!

Of course you're correct gatorev12, "Dive & get it" training could very well improve a team that has every other aspect at peak performance. Just seemed an odd PR brag on a team that isn't getting the basics achieved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.