Geoff Collins: Candidate for UCF head coaching job

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n303289 said:
Coordinators aren't getting many power5 opportunitys here lately. If he's offered, he'll take it. UCF would be a good opportunity for a young coach looking to get a major head coaching job. In a fertile recruiting area, they play in a weak conference so there's going to be plenty winnable games. Two good years at ucf and a power5 team will be calling if he has them winning. Look at guys like Chad Morris and Phillip Montgomery, they were great coordinators and had to settle on jobs lesser than ucf. Kirby smart is still waiting on a power 5 job offer. Schools just arent hiring coordinators these days. So I totally disagree that he should wait for a better job offer.

From what I hear, UCF may still eventually join the Big 12. Just rumblings at this point though.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
URGatorBait;n303301 said:
From what I hear, UCF may still eventually join the Big 12. Just rumblings at this point though.

The Big 12 has been rumbling about getting back to 12 teams, and ripping some AAC teams to do it. Their micro conference plan has failed.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
He better get it while the gettings good. Won't be long before Charlie Strong will be needing another gig

Swamped Gator

Sep 17, 2014
The problem with UCF is they will always get the leftovers from UF, FSU, and UM. It's a hard school to win at unless you catch lightning in a bottle (Bortles).

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n303303 said:
The Big 12 has been rumbling about getting back to 12 teams, and ripping some ACC teams to do it. Their micro conference plan has failed.

Outside of making logistical sense for Louisville, maybe, it would be foolish fo a school to go from the ACC to the Big 12. There is zero gained in doing so.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Swamped Gator;303316 said:
The problem with UCF is they will always get the leftovers from UF, FSU, and UM. It's a hard school to win at unless you catch lightning in a bottle (Bortles).

UCF is the largest school in the state and the I4 corridor is the fastest growing population in the state. The right coach would unleash a monster.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Swamped Gator;n303316 said:

And they will continue to get leftovers until they are in a major conference. They've done well with primarily leftovers, with the exception of this year, they'd do better if they had something to compete for. There is a ton of talent in Florida.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
URGatorBait;n303317 said:
Outside of making logistical sense for Louisville, maybe, it would be foolish fo a school to go from the ACC to the Big 12. There is zero gained in doing so.

fixed my post, meant AAC not ACC.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Swamped Gator;n303316 said:

Leftovers from UF and FSU, not so much UM for a while now. But those leftovers are much better than what a lot of schools including a vast number of P5 schools get regularly.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n303334 said:
fixed my post, meant AAC not ACC.
UCF is an AAC team, so there's that lol.

Houston makes a lot of sense. Perhaps cinci and memphis as well. They've publicly said they want more eastern presence, and that revenue is there. UCF fits that, not to mention the tv market central fla brings with it.

Big 12 has 10 teams right now, so they'll add at least 2 at some point, but one would think they'd likely add 4 to get to 14 and keep up with the other conferences.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Law98gator;n303304 said:

What is your dislike for Collins? I don't think he is a great DC. I do think he's good. And being a good HC and being a good coordinator are 2 different things. Addazio was a terrible OC. However, he has had decent success at schools that are generally dead end programs (Temple and Boston College). My main reason for my view is the school he's coaching at. Being a good DC at UF will get you solid offers at programs better than UCF.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
What is my dislike? Soft zone/ prevent / bend defenses and 28 points in a quarter. Of course, I knew what he would be because that's what he was at Cowbell.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'd take Randy Shannon as a DC...no problem. If Collins gets the job, I hope he doesn't take any coaches with him. I think we have a good staff in place.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
If he's gonna do it, just do it, before recruiting gets in full swing. Sure they're thinking the same.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Best thing is that Collins leaving won't affect recruiting. Shannon as a DC would likely help recruiting and the support staff will keep things together.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
My biggest concern is that he would offer Rumph a job as his DC.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
MJMGator;n303448 said:
My biggest concern is that he would offer Rumph a job as his DC.
And??

Edit: Wait, I thought you meant Mac would offer Rumph the DC job, keep Shannon happy with a title, co-head coach, give him a raise and keep him recruiting in SoFla. I then figured out you meant Collins leaves and takes Rumph with him. I think we would pay Rumph enough to keep him and he knows staying could parlay into a better opportunity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.