GNFP Vandy film review

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
We can blame Mertz all we want. The reality is this is year two, in the portal era, and every QB in that room was hand selected. If he’s the best we have on the roster then the failures go much higher up than him. He’s showing supreme toughness if nothing else and is, imo, hasn’t lost any games for us yet. He may not be winning them either, but that was how he was described all along, so we’re getting as good or better version of him than we were sold.
Mertz was our first choice or all that was left? So he isn't expected as a starting QB in the strongest D5 conference to hit open WR down the seam or in the post? He doesn't even make a read before he is checking down. He has better WR here than he had a Wisky and certainly better backs. He should be able make those plays.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Mertz was our first choice or all that was left? So he isn't expected as a starting QB in the strongest D5 conference to hit open WR down the seam or in the post? He doesn't even make a read before he is checking down. He has better WR here than he had a Wisky and certainly better backs. He should be able make those plays.

I’ll break this up into two segments. As for where he falls in the choice/settle argument, I’m not 100% sure. It definitely seemed like we zeroed in on him and you didn’t hear a lot about other names. But whether we made the choice ourselves, or were so slow in the portal game(asking for film), it still fall to the coaches. And if players are choosing to stay at Tulane, go to Uk instead, or would apparently prefer being 3rd string at OM rather than play for your offense, that’s startling as well. Again, I don’t see how any of these aren’t laid at Napier’s feet.

As for him not being able to hit routine passes, I agree he should be able to. But again we had years of film to go off when taking him. Similar to Driskel in 2014, if he’s not getting it done, take him out and put someone else in there. Don’t have anyone else, or any decided upgrade? That’s on the staff, not Driskel or Mertz. We’ve obviously not done a great job developing that position, and our approach against even inferior opponents is to run the ball and play conservative, which means out of 120 minutes of McNeese and Charlotte, our primary backup who may actually have upside and can do those things you mention, got just under 5. That’s terrible planning, again, by the coaches.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
I’ll break this up into two segments. As for where he falls in the choice/settle argument, I’m not 100% sure. It definitely seemed like we zeroed in on him and you didn’t hear a lot about other names. But whether we made the choice ourselves, or were so slow in the portal game(asking for film), it still fall to the coaches. And if players are choosing to stay at Tulane, go to Uk instead, or would apparently prefer being 3rd string at OM rather than play for your offense, that’s startling as well. Again, I don’t see how any of these aren’t laid at Napier’s feet.

As for him not being able to hit routine passes, I agree he should be able to. But again we had years of film to go off when taking him. Similar to Driskel in 2014, if he’s not getting it done, take him out and put someone else in there. Don’t have anyone else, or any decided upgrade? That’s on the staff, not Driskel or Mertz. We’ve obviously not done a great job developing that position, and our approach against even inferior opponents is to run the ball and play conservative, which means out of 120 minutes of McNeese and Charlotte, our primary backup who may actually have upside and can do those things you mention, got just under 5. That’s terrible planning, again, by the coaches.
Love the post. Not because I want to see us fail to have something to gripe about, but because we see thing occur, or not, and eventually arrive at, The Staff. We might not be professionals, but this is not rocket medicine. Staff is paid a lot of money, to train our players and execute competent game plans while building the program. Players play about as well as they are trained. Yes, there will be bad games. Spurrier had a few. It happens. But never should a competent staff put a poor product on the field consistently and intimate that it's the players, or when not indicting the players, without conviction tell us it's going to be fixed and "we look at everything". Fix it or fuche off. We all want BN to succeed but sometimes, he and his staff look silly. Put some fuchen headphones on, stop smiling as if "shucks, it's not us, these guys just aren't gettin it", get involved in the games, look like a prepared staff, show us you know what you're doing, and motivate your fuchen team. A program cannot have fans excited and elated about wins but not disappointed and disheartened by the poor performances.

Your points about our backups not seeing PT is spot on and maybe I wouldn't feel we are missing out on what could be if not for Spurrier suggesting we have a guy that can move the ball up and down the field but for whatever reason is not the staff's first choice? I have trust issues, what can I say?

I'm stoned, drunk, looney, and facepalmed as I write.

Last edited:

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
We can blame Mertz all we want. The reality is this is year two, in the portal era, and every QB in that room was hand selected. If he’s the best we have on the roster then the failures go much higher up than him. He’s showing supreme toughness if nothing else and is, imo, hasn’t lost any games for us yet. He may not be winning them either, but that was how he was described all along, so we’re getting as good or better version of him than we were sold.
I would guess that Mr. Checkdown has been coached to throw only completions. That is only throw the ball if he knows it will be caught. Don't lose any games by making risky throws. If you don't make risky throws you aren't going to win any games with your arm. Live by the sword, die by the sword.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
I would guess that Mr. Checkdown has been coached to throw only completions. That is only throw the ball if he knows it will be caught. Don't lose any games by making risky throws. If you don't make risky throws you aren't going to win any games with your arm. Live by the sword, die by the sword.
I find these stats interesting. You see it?

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018

Brian Schottenheimer​

��
YearSchoolConfClassPosGCmpAttPctYdsY/AAY/ATDIntRate
Passing
1994FloridaSECQB42450.0358.88.800123.5
1995FloridaSECQB7101566.7614.15.410122.8
1996FloridaSECQB9132161.91949.210.210155.2
CareerFlorida254062.52907.38.320

He did play more games which was mostly a product of all the blow outs but I don't think you can really use that to gauge his ability as an OC. I will admit that I feel weird coming off as if I and defending BN as an OC, I am not. I do feel that there are opportunities that with a more capable thrower would could have success.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member

Brian Schottenheimer​

��
Passing
YearSchoolConfClassPosGCmpAttPctYdsY/AAY/ATDIntRate
1994FloridaSECQB42450.0358.88.800123.5
1995FloridaSECQB7101566.7614.15.410122.8
1996FloridaSECQB9132161.91949.210.210155.2
CareerFlorida254062.52907.38.320

He did play more games which was mostly a product of all the blow outs but I don't think you can really use that to gauge his ability as an OC. I will admit that I feel weird coming off as if I and defending BN as an OC, I am not. I do feel that there are opportunities that with a more capable thrower would could have success.
I don't even remember him. Games were well in hand (and I was sloshed) by the time he got in.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Tater said for the record that was his guy after looking at 20 different QBs. So this is 100% on him.

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
As oppose to "We wanted about 19 others we looked at but we missed on all of them so, it is what it is".
Or...you could say things about happy to have Mertz and similar without going to the point of saying that he's their guy and the one they wanted #1. It's easy to make this an either or without thinking of the possibilities in between.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014

I know it was said that WE were interested in him (so was Auburn and Alabama), not sure if we seriously pursued him or him us, but getting Sam Hartman from WF instead of him going to ND woulda prolly been really good. It would seem that his moving from Wake to ND meant he was only interested in good schools, not necessarily where he'd have the greatest success as a QB.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
He's the HC; how exactly would it not be 100% on him?
FOLEY! DUH!!!!

We need a Seinfeld gif that says "FOLEY!" instead of "NEWMAN!"
collage GIF

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
FOLEY! DUH!!!!

We need a Seinfeld gif that says "FOLEY!" instead of "NEWMAN!"
collage GIF

If we’re going, Seinfeld, then the story of Foley would really be more similar to the Drake. For a period of time it’s “got to love the Drake”. Give it some time and it becomes “hate the Drake!”

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
If we’re going, Seinfeld, then the story of Foley would really be more similar to the Drake. For a period of time it’s “got to love the Drake”. Give it some time and it becomes “hate the Drake!”
No... just, no. Again, too cerebral. Know your audience. When we want to blame someone/something, keep it simple... FOLEY!

Get your schit together and...
be-best-melania-trump.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator