Good article on Del Rio

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Here's a good Q&A w/ Del Rio and the comments about him and Appleby are pretty telling (that the Freshman are not going to crack the rotation). I wouldn't be surprised if both of them redshirt (if there's no injuries to Del Rio or Appleby):

http://gatorbytes.blog.palmbeachpost.com/2016/03/24/qa-with-florida-gators-qb-luke-del-rio/

Question: How has the spring been going so far?

Answer: “It’s been going great. It’s been kind of a weird transition but (offensive coordinator Doug Nussmeier) has done a great job of taking the young guys and taking Austin and I and incorporating us into what he’s trying to do in the offense. We’re working as hard as we can to execute the game plan and getting better every day. That’s all we can ask for.”

Q: Describe your role in the offense?

A: “As far as the quarterbacks? As you saw Greg McElroy running it, AJ McCarron run it. When we got here, you have so many offensive weapons here. So, we try to utilize them as best we can. It’s a little bit different than the one at Alabama. They have their install and we have ours. You’re definitely asked to take care of the ball, get first downs and put points on the board.”

Q: What’s your impression of the two freshman quarterbacks Feleipe Franks and Kyle Trask?

A: “Oh, they’re very, very arm talented. They’re obviously really big guys. Kyle had a really unique situation in high school and he took full advantage of it. He can spin the ball. And Feleipe, you can tell why he was so highly rated. He’s mobile, he’s big, he’s got a canon of an arm. They’re learning and they’re doing a really good job.”

Q: What do you bring to the offense?

A: “I’ve been in it for a few years. You know, like I said, I haven’t played here but I do have experience running some of the plays. As far as making protection changes with the offensive line and understanding adjustments of the routes. It’s more of a knowledge of the offense than anything.”

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Brent Beaird was on local radio today (1010xl here in Jax)). He made a comment about LDR that was good. He said if LDR had stayed at Bama, he would be the starter this year. Bama quarterbacks have been productive over the years. This is a nice comment and makes me feel good about him if Beaird is right.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Im glad he is here.
You know, he really exudes confidence. He doesn't seem awed by the task at hand. He also seems to be the exact opposite of some recent examples. He's working hard, preparing, working out. The coaches are telling him to lose the extra 15 lbs of belly or to get into the film room.

I'm really hoping to be very pleasantly surprised. Having a competent QB for three years would be such a shot in the arm for this program.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Gotta love the optimism that he brings. This could really be good.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
You know, he really exudes confidence. He doesn't seem awed by the task at hand. He also seems to be the exact opposite of some recent examples. He's working hard, preparing, working out. The coaches are telling him to lose the extra 15 lbs of belly or to get into the film room.

I'm really hoping to be very pleasantly surprised. Having a competent QB for three years would be such a shot in the arm for this program.

Oh my god. You made a positive post! Someone make this a sticky!

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I'll wait and see until the live rounds start flying. Some guys talk a good game and may know it in their head until they hit the field. I'd rather have a guy who has a natural feel for the game, where to go with the ball despite coverages, when to take off and run....and if he just also happens to know which titty bar has the hottest milf's I really don't have a problem with that either....

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I'll wait and see until the live rounds start flying. Some guys talk a good game and may know it in their head until they hit the field. I'd rather have a guy who has a natural feel for the game, where to go with the ball despite coverages, when to take off and run....and if he just also happens to know which titty bar has the hottest milf's I really don't have a problem with that either....

Yep we will find out real quick probably how good he is going to be. As far as Appleby he isn't gun shy and is a gamer looking at some tape of him but he has a bad problem of trying to force the ball in there resulting in too many picks.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Yep we will find out real quick probably how good he is going to be. As far as Appleby he isn't gun shy and is a gamer looking at some tape of him but he has a bad problem of trying to force the ball in there resulting in too many picks.

Based on some highlights I've seen, I wouldn't mind seeing Appleby come in for short yardage and goal line situations similar to what Timmy did as a freshman. Keep it simple with mostly runs and the occasional surprise pass.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
We won't be running the Single Wing Option, of that I am certain. The running backs will do the running.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.