Good article on Del Rio

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
http://touch.orlandosentinel.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-86320712/

Edgar Thompson, Orlando Sentinel
8:25 pm, March 23, 2016
GAINESVILLE — Quarterback Luke Del Rio passed through the epicenter of college football and traveled to both U.S. coasts to find where he belonged.

Three years and three schools later, Del Rio finally feels at home with the Florida Gators.

"It was kind of a journey to get here," the well-traveled 21-year-old said Wednesday.

These days, it seems like destiny to Del Rio, who has long-standing ties to the current Gators' coaching staff.

UF coach Jim McElwain offered Del Rio his first scholarship when the two were in Colorado — McElwain at Colorado State and Del Rio playing in the Denver area while his father was the Broncos' defensive coordinator.

Del Rio opted for Alabama in 2013, where UF offensive coordinator Doug Nussmeier had the same role with the Crimson Tide.

"I knew they were going to run this offense, so I felt really comfortable coming here," Del Rio said.

Before he would get a chance to run the show in Gainesville, Del Rio had to manage a potentially awkward situation after he transferred from Oregon State. Del Rio had to sit out a year and ran the scout team while Will Grier and Treon Harris competed for the starting job.

"All I could do was focus on footwork and accuracy and being the best teammate I could," Del Rio said. "You don't want a transfer quarterback who's on the scout team trying to be the outspoken leader when you can't play that year."

Del Rio's low-key approach impressed tight end Jake McGee, a sixth-year senior in 2015 who soon will be in an NFL camp.

"He's a good dude," McGee said Tuesday at UF's Pro Day. "He's got a lot of those qualities you would want as your quarterback and as a leader of the football team.

"He did a good job of going about it quietly while he wasn't able to be playing."

When last season ended, Del Rio immediately assumed a more visible role and entered spring a team leader and the frontrunner to become the Gators' ninth starting quarterback since Tim Tebow's final season in 2009.

The 6-foot-1, 213-pound Del Rio offers the skill set, football IQ and familiarity with McElwain's and Nussmeier's system the next Florida quarterback will need. Speaking to the media for the first time since he arrived last summer, Del Rio said he expects to battle with Purdue graduate transfer Austin Appleby, while he also offered high praise for first-year freshmen Feleipe Franks and Kyle Trask.

"It's an open competition," Del Rio said. "We're all doing everything we can do in our power to earn the starting job. I've been here, but I don't think that makes me No. 1 right now.

"I have to earn it."

Del Rio is well aware how quickly things can change in football.

He was born in 1994 after a Minnesota Vikings' win and even received a game ball that still sits at his parents' home. Jack Del Rio earned his one trip to the Pro Bowl that season. Two years later, he ended up with the Miami Dolphins and was cut, ending his career.

The elder Del Rio since has coached with six NFL teams and is currently the head coach of the Oakland Raiders.

"I've been very fortunate to be around great players and great coaches and really just be around the game," Luke Del Rio said. "Whether you're a coach's son in college, high school, pro, you're around the game. You're around ball all the time."

Following the NFL owners' meetings the past few days in Boca Raton, Del Rio's father attended UF's practice Wednesday.

Luke Del Rio never imagined a scenario in which he'd don Gator orange, even when he lived in Jacksonville while his father coached the Jaguars. His father had been an All-American linebacker at USC and Del Rio's sisters attended LSU.

"We were never really Florida fans," he said.

But years later, Del Rio's long and winding journey to Gainesville makes perfect sense.

"It's a very unique situation," he said. "If anybody told me you'd go to three colleges, I'd probably tell them they were crazy. But it is what it is.

"Everything happens for a reason and I'm really happy to be here now."

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Seems like a good kid. I hope it works out for him.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
I'm hoping LDR is the swift kick in the ass this program desperately needs.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I just have a feeling that LDR is going to be a very good QB at UF. I'm not sure if he will be a Heisman winner, but I think he can be very good. I really think he is the main reason Grier wanted a guarantee.. Grier knew LDR was good and could run the offense and take his job.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The highest expectation I have for LDR is that he'll be an Alabama type game manager. That should be good enough.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I admit it grates on me a little that he says he never wanted to play for Florida. However, given that we haven't allowed the forward pass since 2005, when he was in 4th grade or so, I guess I can see why a QB (or receiver) wouldn't be interested.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Yea that's an indictment on Muschamp more than anything else.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I admit it grates on me a little that he says he never wanted to play for Florida. However, given that we haven't allowed the forward pass since 2005, when he was in 4th grade or so, I guess I can see why a QB (or receiver) wouldn't be interested.
Tebow threw the forward pass plenty. Put your Meyer era hate away for 5 seconds.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
I can see why Florida wasn't initially on his radar... his Dad went to usc and sisters went to corndog.
Probably leaned toward usc due to his Dad, like I leaned toward UF because of my Dad.
Had my Dad gone to FSU, I would have gone to ... UF. but that's beside the point.
He's here now and I'm happy we have someone who looks like he can throw the damn ball.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Why did he transfer this last time? I thought you get 5 years to play four with an occasional sixth year granted for special circumstances.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Why did he transfer this last time? I thought you get 5 years to play four with an occasional sixth year granted for special circumstances.
the coach left and they were going to run a spread offense. assuming that it was a heavy run spread

EyeDocGator

Politically Incorrect
Lifetime Member
Oct 26, 2015

NCAA granted him an extra year so he is a Redshirt Sophomore. He probably should have been eligible this past year, but the NCAA denied the request.

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
the coach left and they were going to run a spread offense. assuming that it was a heavy run spread
Yes, Mike Riley bolted for the Cornholes. Gary Anderson came in and appointed Dave Baldwin as OC. He wanted to spread the Beavers out :lol:

LDR made the right move as Baldwin has already been demoted after one year.

115th nationally in scoring offense (19 points per game)
116th in passing offense (159.1 yards per game)
113th in total offense (336.4 yards per game)
121st in quarterback rating (96.9)
122nd in completion percentage (46.9).

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I can see why Florida wasn't initially on his radar... his Dad went to usc and sisters went to corndog.
Probably leaned toward usc due to his Dad, like I leaned toward UF because of my Dad.
Had my Dad gone to FSU, I would have gone to ... UF. but that's beside the point.
He's here now and I'm happy we have someone who looks like he can throw the damn ball.
Depending on how old you are, if your dad went to FSU, then he may have
Yes, Mike Riley bolted for the Cornholes. Gary Anderson came in and appointed Dave Baldwin as OC. He wanted to spread the Beavers out :lol:

LDR made the right move as Baldwin has already been demoted after one year.

115th nationally in scoring offense (19 points per game)
116th in passing offense (159.1 yards per game)
113th in total offense (336.4 yards per game)
121st in quarterback rating (96.9)
122nd in completion percentage (46.9).
Those stats look too familiar.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Why did he leave Bama?
Kiffin.gif

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014

Agreed. I'd be surprised if he wasn't a Southern Cal fan simply because of his father. Playing in Jacksonville (HS ball) obviously made him familiar w/ our program, but w/ a complete incompetent moron running the show why would he have any interest in UF? I'm glad he's here and I'm very hopeful he's as good as some of the Bama QBs over the last 8+ years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.