Gotta credit Jeremy Foley on this hire!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Nice job by hiring Coach Mac by Foley for our struggling football program. Swamp magic is alive and well!! Go Gators!!

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Zook
Duncechump
Mac

1 out of 3 for a .333 batting average. No, we don't congratulate him. He finally did his job correctly on the football side for the first time in 25 years and earned his salary.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Seem to have left out the guy that won us 2 NCs...but I guess that doesn't fit your agenda?

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Meyer was Machen's idea. Meyer wouldn't have been on Foley's radar otherwise. I have to admit that Foley did an OUTSTANDING job of landing Meyer. But he didn't pick him.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Gardner, a .333 average will get you contending for a batting crown every year. We like to label Foley as overly conservative, but the fact is he likes to ratchet up the risk by dabbling in small cap stocks. Well, it appears he may have got himself a value play to rival Donovan.

Dec 10, 2014
gardnerwebbgator;n290970 said:
Bernie hired Urban, not Foley.

This is such garbage. Bernie Machen can barely tie is tie he's such a sop. He didn't come in and tell the established athletic director what to do. It's not like Meyer's potential was a secret.

Dec 10, 2014
Mac has met my expectations to this point, and the deal to get him in here was exceptional. We got our new coach to chip in on the buyout, and we off set more cost by ratcheting up our non-conference schedule. Genius.

It was a strong, necessary move. There's a reason that Foley is widely regarded as the best athletic director in the nation. Everybody makes mistakes. Glad to see Foley addressed his head on and with vigor. We are a better program for it.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
threatmatrix;n290879 said:
Meyer was Machen's idea. Meyer wouldn't have been on Foley's radar otherwise. I have to admit that Foley did an OUTSTANDING job of landing Meyer. But he didn't pick him.

Believ that if u want to.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Forgot how it went ... but didn't coach Mac allow some of his UF $ offer go towards his buyout. That showed that
he was confident he could earn a $ raise by turning UF's program into a NC contender ... plus knowing the talent
he could attract at UF. He knew the state of Florida was a gold mine from experience at Bama.

GatorGriff

May 29, 2015
You are an idiot if you think that Foley had nothing to do with hiring Urban. It's not like Meyer was some unknown guy that Machen discovered. He was the hottest up and coming name in coaching. Some of you guys just can't give Foley credit.

L-boy

BANNED
Oct 16, 2014
Urban was THE hot prospect the year we hired him. ND wanted him also. It isn't as if he was some hidden gem that Foley wouldn't have noticed. It was really between UF and ND, and give Foley credit for dumping Zook mid season to open up the spot while ND dicked around until the end of the season to make their decision.

Did the Machen connection make it more likely? Hard to say. I tend to think who the University President is would rank behind about 20 other things for a potential head coach. You could argue the connection made it easier to make the whole thing happen.

If you look at any of the top programs, it rare that you don't have some swings and misses before you get the right guy. Look at Bama, Auburn, LSU. Name one program that hasn't had some misses. About the only one you could argue, and yes this will cause groans, if FSU, but at the same time they held on to Bowden way too long.

If McElwain pans out the way he appears to be, this hire will be a huge coup for Foley, because he wasn't the obvious choice at the time.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Bernardo de la Paz;n290812 said:
To be fair, he got the idea from reading gator chatter.
Bernie called it. You actually was the first person to mention jim maclewain.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Sofia is another poster that called for him pretty early on too.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
threatmatrix;n290879 said:

A guy who just went 12-0 and had lost like 2 games in 4 years wasn't on his radar? A guy who was being courted by Notre Dame and would have gone there had it not been for us wouldn't have been on his radar? Nav called, he wants some of whatever you're smoking.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Okay so then Foley wasn't a genius for getting Meyer because everybody wanted him. It was a no-brainer then which means Foley only deserves credit for negotiating the deal as I already said. Not for picking him. Zook and The Worst College Coach in History are squarely on Foley's shoulders. Not to mention pissing off Spurrier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.