Gotta credit Jeremy Foley on this hire!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
And let us not forget Foley gave :kiffin: not one, but two contract extensions when he should have been looking for a replacement DURING the 2012 season. Yeah that's right, during the 11 win season cuz if it was glaringly obvious to me that :kiffin: didn't belong in Orange and Blue then it should've been obvious to the guy that gets paid to make those decisions.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
threatmatrix;n291087 said:
Okay so then Foley wasn't a genius for getting Meyer because everybody wanted him. It was a no-brainer then which means Foley only deserves credit for negotiating the deal as I already said. Not for picking him. Zook and The Worst College Coach in History are squarely on Foley's shoulders. Not to mention pissing off Spurrier.

So we refuse to give him credit because it was a no brainer, but when a no brainier isn't available he's a ****ing moron because he didn't hire another no brainier? I give Law credit for admitting his hatred of Foley is due to personal reasons...you others are simply not bright and have my sympathy.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
threatmatrix;291087 said:
Okay so then Foley wasn't a genius for getting Meyer because everybody wanted him. It was a no-brainer then which means Foley only deserves credit for negotiating the deal as I already said. Not for picking him. Zook and The Worst College Coach in History are squarely on Foley's shoulders. Not to mention pissing off Spurrier.
He convinced a guy to turn down his self-proclaimed "dream job" to come to UF. If you don't think that's noteworthy, Nav wants some of whatever you're smoking.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
threatmatrix;n291094 said:
And let us not forget Foley gave :kiffin: not one, but two contract extensions when he should have been looking for a replacement DURING the 2012 season. Yeah that's right, during the 11 win season cuz if it was glaringly obvious to me that :kiffin: didn't belong in Orange and Blue then it should've been obvious to the guy that gets paid to make those decisions.

He owns the extension, but in case you haven't noticed it's a pretty common practice due to the recruiting wars. I'm sure he'll consult you before he offers Mac an extension. Does he have your approval or should we wait to see if he can win a NC his year?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n291076 said:
Sofia is another poster that called for him pretty early on too.
Yeah Sofla was all over it.

L-boy

BANNED
Oct 16, 2014
For all the haters name another AD at another school that has done better?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator said:
I give Law credit for admitting his hatred of Foley is due to personal reasons...you others are simply not bright and have my sympathy.
My bias again Fooley is for personal reasons. I don't like the guy as a person. I didn't like Meyer as a person either. I like Zook as a person but he is a horrible HC or DC.

My hatred for Foley (as AD not him personally) was due to Zook and Chimp (mostly Chimp's 4th year, you didn't really hear me complaining about the extensions at the time though some of the terms were poorly devised in retrospect).

That being said, I'm an optimist. Magic Mac convinced to overhaul the football staff, to add dozens of "quality control" assistant coaches, to spent tens of millions on our dilapidated facilities. What's not to like at the moment?

I realize the last two years in particular have been tough on the pumpers who hung w Chimp and Fooley. We could spend the next two years bashing you for that support but we didn't. I welcomed people when they fell off that wagon, even coach9 (on gsmb). I suppose the Grier people could keep posting every day too. I don't know why anyone would.

We sometimes pick our favorite guesses for who should be Qb, Rb, De, Mlb, even HC. Sometimes we gripe about it for months before we even see the kids on the field. It's what we do because we are fanatical, the worst of the fanatics.

We re having good times here. The ship has turned around in amazingly quick time, more quickly than I ever dreamed possible even had we rehired a young SOS or UM. The future is orange and blue.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
L-boy;n291135 said:
For all the haters name another AD at another school that has done better?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They can't and they won't even attempt it...but it still won't stop them from pissing and moaning about him. Fishon nailed it a few posts above.

Dec 10, 2014
Law98gator;n291137 said:
My bias again Fooley is for personal reasons. I don't like the guy as a person. I didn't like Meyer as a person either. I like Zook as a person but he is a horrible HC or DC.

My hatred for Foley (as AD not him personally) was due to Zook and Chimp (mostly Chimp's 4th year, you didn't really hear me complaining about the extensions at the time though some of the terms were poorly devised in retrospect).

That being said, I'm an optimist. Magic Mac convinced to overhaul the football staff, to add dozens of "quality control" assistant coaches, to spent tens of millions on our dilapidated facilities. What's not to like at the moment?

I realize the last two years in particular have been tough on the pumpers who hung w Chimp and Fooley. We could spend the next two years bashing you for that support but we didn't. I welcomed people when they fell off that wagon, even coach9 (on gsmb). I suppose the Grier people could keep posting every day too. I don't know why anyone would.

We sometimes pick our favorite guesses for who should be Qb, Rb, De, Mlb, even HC. Sometimes we gripe about it for months before we even see the kids on the field. It's what we do because we are fanatical, the worst of the fanatics.

We re having good times here. The ship has turned around in amazingly quick time, more quickly than I ever dreamed possible even had we rehired a young SOS or UM. The future is orange and blue.

Where are the mods?

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I'll eat the crow when the time is right. 5 games in? Slow your rolls...let's be happy for once...

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
dubster1;n291154 said:

simonwut2.gif

Dec 10, 2014
T REX;n291152 said:
I'll eat the crow when the time is right. 5 games in? Slow your rolls...let's be happy for once...

TREX as long as there are no razors, firearms, or a massive amount of pills in your house you'll be fine.

Oh and belts. Forgot the Robin Williams

L-boy

BANNED
Oct 16, 2014
In Meyer, Foley hired one of the two best football coaches in college football over the last 10 years. In Donovan, I would argue that may have been the best college basketball coach hire ANYWHERE since possibly Coach K at Duke, given the context of FL was not a big time basketball program and Donovan turned out to be one of the best 2 or 3 coaches during his tenure, especially if you consider coaches that have kept relatively clean background.

He hired the coaches that lead to 4 national championships in football and basketball in a 2-3 year span.

For those that think the Meyer hire was a slam dunk, why didn't Notre Dame get him? He open spoke of wanting to end up at Ohio St, Michigan or Notre Dame. Yet UF got him. And there was a fair amount of hand wringing whether Meyer's approach would work at an SEC level.

UF continually ranks among the highest in the nation in terms of all sports rankings.

Now it appears he has landed one of the hottest prospects in college football as a coach.

From all appearances, Foley handles himself professionally. He treats the hires fairly. He gives them a reasonable chance to succeed, but he won't cling to losers for too long. No coaching prospect wants to come to a place where if they get some bad breaks they are kicked out on their ass in 2 years.

Zook was not a great hire, but Spurrier quit in January. Nobody of any notoriety is going to jump ship in January. He was forced to make a roll the dice hire. And in spite of being a terrible coach from a consistency perspective, he certainly left the program in good shape in terms of personel and recruiting.

Muschamp was a reasonable hire, on paper. It was a perfectly logical hire. It just didn't work out.

I'm not sure how you can look at how long Alabama floundered before Saban, how Auburn bounced around until recently, how TN has struggled for 15 years, how Michigan was absolutely awful for a while, until now (with the good fortune of having a NFL successful coach alumni coming back - which almost never happens). Or you could have GA, which has been consistently pretty good, but seemingly never going to take it to the next level.

What fans still don't get is successful coaches at big time programs don't leave to go to other big time programs that are in turmoil. It just doesn't happen. So you are forced to find an "up and comer", either an assistant or a Head Coach at a lesser school. There is obviously risk in that. It appears coach Mc is the real deal, but he could have turned out to be a flop (or still may, hopefully not) Being a HC at CSU vs the pressure at UF are completely different deals.

I just don't get it. It is pure idiocy.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
PatDooleySucks;n291150 said:
Where are the mods?
Living life, like you should be, it's the friggin weekend bro ;)

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
PatDooleySucks;n291168 said:
TREX as long as there are no razors, firearms, or a massive amount of pills in your house you'll be fine.

Oh and belts. Forgot the Robin Williams

Man, you're just an *******. Enjoy the wins...why are you such a prick? Wow...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.