Graduate Transfer OL from FCS offered

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
At least we know you will look good in orange and blue.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Rog, can you please explain to me what in the hell the AD at South Carolina was thinking when he hired that bonehead?

... mmmkay BMF, here's my try : The AD wants USCe to go back to being a Basketball school.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
One day we won't have to keep offering these graduate transfers from lower level schools to come and fill the gaping hole on the roster along the offensive line, left by the previous coach. One day. Until then, come on down big boy. We have pass rushing holes to fill and running holes to open and this big 300 pounder will be a welcomed addition.

I didn't know why taking a grad-transfer on an OL is such a bad thing, especially with experience. He's already played 3 years which is far better than a guy right out of high school. JUCO OL are a great addition to keep meat on the line.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
He will be starting. Ivey isn't close to ready to move and Johnson needs work.

The film of this guys is pretty good. He will start.

That's where I disagree. He looks too slow to be a starter at tackle in the SEC and Johnson is worlds better as a pass blocker. It is his run blocking that is the problem. An off-season to gain some weight should help Johnson tremendously. I think this guy ends up as a utility guy, seeing most of his time as a backup at one of the guard spots but filling in at tackle if needed.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Starting 5 on the line will probably be Sharpe LT, Dillard LG, Jordan C, Johnson RG, and Ivey RT....Of course there is always the possibility that Matt Fuchs beats one of these guys out after another stellar spring game :facepalm:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Crete, IMO Dillard won't be on the field. I suspect they would rather play a true freshman again rather than have him on the field. At least the true freshman has the potential to develop. Not much hope that Harkless or Dorsey progress either. Add Mike to the waste of scholarship list.

I agree that Jordan will probably be the center. Maybe McCoy backs him up. I know the staff likes McCoy a bunch.

Ivey won't move outside, I expect. He's our best run blocker and doesn't have the feet for tackle. Moving him outside makes us vulnerable at two positions. Even if he was a smidge better than his backup, moving him outside destroys our run blocking.

I don't know who will be at the other interior OL position. No way to know without seeing McCoy and some of the others. I wonder if Forsythe or Heggie earn playing time. It's sad that we may still be playing true freshmen next year.

Johnson has a ways to go but he did well for a true freshman. No way to know if he makes the next step. I expect to see Catalina at RT. He is better than the last transfer whose best offer was Old Dominion. Catalina has many power conference offers. Some of his film shows him against higher division teams and he's winning all those battles.

I suspect we will be much better than last year, but it's still going to be a step from disastrous to below average I suspect.

As for Halter, unfortunately he was clearly better than the other options. Clearly. That tells you about Dillard, Dorsey, Mike and crew. And as for that play, yeah it was embarrassing. Hoever, if you are Halter, do you expect the DB to just blast you and take himself out of the play? No, you expect him to try to use his speed to get around you. I'm sure that was what Halter was doing, off balance expecting to move inside quickly enough to hit the fast DB.

Last edited:

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Good point Law on the OL aspects and Halter's situation. One thing this brings to UF with the JUCO is the much needed depth. Whether it be for practice, game time, etc. All the pressure has been put on a small group of guys. They need the bodies and the depth.

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
I don't know who will be at the other interior OL position. No way to know without seeing McCoy and some of the others. I wonder if Forsythe or Heggie earn playing time. It's sad that we may still be playing true freshmen next year.
Have you seen this kid's tape? He looks like a monster.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I LOVE his tape. But he is still a true freshman.

Since65

Oct 5, 2014
Three true freshman offensive linemen started against Michigan. THREE...out of five! That gives you a glaring picture of how bad the situation really was. I agree with Law that next year should be better but still a significant distance from good and a long way from dominant.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Have you seen this kid's tape? He looks like a monster.
We also have the 340lber coming in. If a freshmen is to play anywhere on the offensive line I think guard would be better than tackle. We could be pretty good on the line by 2017 looking at the size we're bringing in.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Crete, IMO Dillard won't be on the field. I suspect they would rather play a true freshman again rather than have him on the field. At least the true freshman has the potential to develop.
I forgot about McCoy.....He will probably be the other guard unless the 340# freshmen is ready to play. I like 340# guards....I think you're selling Ivey short though. He's very athletic but only about 275-280 which I think would make a fine RT once he gets experience pass blocking. We might be better than average by the end of the next year if Sharpe, McCoy, Jordan, Johnson and Ivey remain healthy.....if not we're Fuched.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I thought we took a pretty decent OL class last year, with Ivey and Jordan contributing. People seem high on McCoy, but nobody's mentioning the other three from the class: Desir-Jones, Sandifer or Buchanan. Wonder how those guys are doing? From what I remember hearing early on, Desir-Jones and Johnson were neck and neck as to who might get PT as a true freshman, so maybe there's some potential in those other three that red-shirted. Sandifer is 350lb+. Or maybe they end up as career backups like Dorsey, Harkless, Mike and Dillard?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.