Grant Holloway

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Didn't see this mentioned, but Coach Mac seems to be implying that Grant will be giving football a shot. Guy obviously has blazing speed, but also seems to bring some physicality and ball skills.

Highlights:

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
He's gotta be fast, the way he skirts the whole "line" of tacklers. He breaks tackles well.
Like the way he drops his arm down to fence them away from getting a hold of his legs, and he
does it without losing speed and strides. Shows to be a super-effective blocker. Showing several
times he blocks on PRs where he knocks 1 tackler then keeps running by his ball carrier to block
a 2nd tackler 10 yards further down.

However, he has signed to run track for us Fl Gators. He runs a 4.32 (40).
Top guy in Va at 110 high hurdles, long jump, high jump. He's 6'3", 190 lbs.

Last edited:

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Great size and speed. What looked nice was that he tries to run with some power and speed ATC. It would not hurt at all to have a "burner" in our WR corp. Wonder if he is one of those track scholly's to help with FB's count? Not sure how that goes. But anyway we can always use a guy like this.

Oklahoma Gator

Lifetime Member
Nov 18, 2015
Great size and speed. What looked nice was that he tries to run with some power and speed ATC. It would not hurt at all to have a "burner" in our WR corp. Wonder if he is one of those track scholly's to help with FB's count? Not sure how that goes. But anyway we can always use a guy like this.
So this has been talked about before when he committed, but just to re-clarify, he is currently on a track scholarship but the minute he steps a toe on to the field in a football game, he counts against footballs scholarship numbers. That being said he can probably have the one that Treon is currently occupying

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
So this has been talked about before when he committed, but just to re-clarify, he is currently on a track scholarship but the minute he steps a toe on to the field in a football game, he counts against footballs scholarship numbers. That being said he can probably have the one that Treon is currently occupying

I am all for him having Freon's scholly.

Oklahoma Gator

Lifetime Member
Nov 18, 2015
This that being said, those highlights make him look like a 5* talent. Of course that's the problem highlights , they usually leave out the bad stuff. The first two clips are the most important IMHO because it shows something that the Demps and the Raineys and Bo Carrolls of the world lacked; the ability to be physical and finish a play. That's usually the thing that separates football players from "track stars" the scholly situations allows Mac a free developmental look-see . If his skills can't translate to SEC football, don't play him and it never cost you anything. But if he can help you may have a hidden gem on your hands.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
If he plays football and is on scholly for any sport, then it counts toward our football cap.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Attaining a top-earnings career in Pro track is rarer than to get wealthy in the NF ... (re: Demps)
I think he has better shot at making it in the NFL. Boy, I sure hope he goes for both sports, because
I think he would give us a national star WR. He looks of rare skills, fine height (some list 6'4").
How congenial is our Track coach ?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
:scratchhead: I haven't even looked. We have a slight logjam at WR at the moment. Taking a flier there isn't a problem IMO especially for an incredible athlete which is the impression I got.

Last edited:

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
We do have plenty of projected new star WRs but this guy is like that tall WR Clemson Alshon Jeffries
who could "go after" and get the pass. This Grant has greater speed than the usual WRs ... greater speed than Sammy Watkins.

Mac or Gray need to lay out the fork in the road that he's deciding on. Go left for a future towards Olympics, go right for the millionairish NFL. Track will always have a logjam of sprinters, hurdlers.
Right now he's about 7th in the state of Virginia in his strong running hurdles event and 9th in the Nation in another (jumping event).
Talk him and our track coach into competing in FB and in track.

If this guy can learn the playbook, I think he can start as a freshman... as the sun rises in the east, and
in the south... and the north .. oh look now it's in the west. That ole sun can shine on everyone.

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'd love to see him succeed on the track and the football field. I'm glad he's shying away from the Percy Harvins comparisons. It makes me think of Debose, however, and wish that he was a player under coach Mac.

Lake Gator

SUBMARINERS GO DEEPER
Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
We do have plenty of projected new star WRs but this guy is like that tall WR Clemson Alshon Jeffries
who could "go after" and get the pass. This Grant has greater speed than the usual WRs ... greater speed than Sammy Watkins.

Mac or Gray need to lay out the fork in the road that he's deciding on. Go left for a future towards Olympics, go right for the millionairish NFL. Track will always have a logjam of sprinters, hurdlers.
Right now he's about 7th in the state of Virginia in his strong running hurdles event and 9th in the Nation in another (jumping event).
Talk him and our track coach into competing in FB and in track.

If this guy can learn the playbook, I think he can start as a freshman... as the sun rises in the east, and
in the south... and the north .. oh look now it's in the west. That ole sun can shine on everyone.

Rog, do you mean Alshon Jeffery who played for USCe Gamecocks?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator