Gumps vs Dwags

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
Kentucky is going to curb stomp us

We will make guarantano look like a Heisman

Honestly, I am scared of every game on our schedule now. Our defense can't stop anyone.

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
I've been very vocal about my frustrations with our defense. But it is worth noting that in their 3 other games, against Aub, ut and Vu, the gamecocks are averaging 32.6 points per game. We actually held them to a season low of 24 points. I fully get that it's WM and he's still garbage. But his team this year has been better on offense, even taking us out.

But that’s sort of a side point. I’m really more surprised to see greater concern with Uk than Ark. To me, Uk is not a real threat. While nothing will come easily this year, I think we beat them. I could see Ark presenting a problem because of the way Odom has them playing defense.
They’ll both be a problem. Mobile qbs always give Dwag Choker’s defenses headaches, remember the last time Terry Wilson came to the Swamp? I do. Franks will want to play the game of his life against us, and I agree that Odom might be the bigger factor in the game.

The one advantage that we have is that our team at least knows Franks’ tendencies, and if we can rattle him early, it’s all downhill from there.....as we all unfortunately know too well.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Auburn, UT an Vu also have a lot of problems, but there are on both sides of the ball. Auburn was turning it over like Zeke on Monday night (at their own 29, 49, and the 8 yard lines). Honestly wish we had Auburn on our schedule instead of Arkansas, because Auburn is a complete mess. Your Gamecock average score is deceiving, because you take away Vandy (who I already mentioned we should boat race) that average is just 28.5. Tennessee is a well know issue, they might as well have a ginger at quarterback.

Concerns about UK is there ability to run the ball and how they have dominated us for 7 of the last 8 quarters they know how to attack our defensive scheme. Now we have worse players than the previous two years. Dominate the line of scrimmage and keep the offensive off the field means less opportunities for Trask&Pitts one three and out could be tragic in that game.

Arkansas worries we on the defensive side of the ball, Odom has coached well against us since joining the SEC, but Franks will be Franks when he is at BHG.

I'm not debating Auburn being a disaster, and you should know by now I'm anything but singing his praises. I don't think Usce is a "great offense", just that they appear to be improved. I think Bobo can be decent with exactly what he has--a veteran game manager QB who doesn't make a ton of mistakes and is too old at this point for WM to destroy mentally with his ranting. The problem with taking out specific games is it becomes selective. Obviously 4 games isn't a big enough sample size, so we'll see at the end of the year. They just don't seem to be as bad as I've come to expect from WM's teams.

I think Uk is a tough game to judge. You're correct that they've dominated us most of the last two games. But the one thing that's completely different is Trask instead of Franks. We haven't played well on defense either, but it was largely the offense that just sucked the life out of things. Last year's possessions for us prior to Trask's insertion were: Int, TD, Fumble, FG(set up at the UK 21 to start by Davis' INT return) and Turnover on downs. We only gave up 21 points, and 20 in 2018. We don't have the same defense for sure. But we also don't have the same offense constantly deflating things either. I could be wrong, I just don't see that game being as bad as some think.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I think Uk is a tough game to judge. You're correct that they've dominated us most of the last two games. But the one thing that's completely different is Trask instead of Franks. We haven't played well on defense either, but it was largely the offense that just sucked the life out of things. Last year's possessions for us prior to Trask's insertion were: Int, TD, Fumble, FG(set up at the UK 21 to start by Davis' INT return) and Turnover on downs. We only gave up 21 points, and 20 in 2018. We don't have the same defense for sure. But we also don't have the same offense constantly deflating things either. I could be wrong, I just don't see that game being as bad as some think.

agree with all that, but last year we were also playing the 3rd string quarterback.... Wilson's mobility gave us fits in 2018. UK has been punching us in the mouth the last 3 years, they probably should have won in '17, they beat our ass in '18, and couldn't hold on in '19. Which really is telling where our program is, because we should beating that ass every year with a hiccup every now and then. Since 2013, it's us scrapping by with an occasional blow out.
upload_2020-10-20_12-32-23.png

Last edited:

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
All that but last year we were also playing the 3rd string quarterback.... Wilson's mobility gave us fits in 2018. UK has been punching us in the mouth the last 3 years, they probably should have won in '17, they beat our ass in '18, and couldn't hold on in '19. Which really is telling where our program is, because we should beating that ass every year with a hiccup every now and then. Since 2013, it's us scrapping by with an occasional blow out.

Thought we got the 2nd string guy last year, but could be wrong. And yeah, 2017 should've never gone our way. My point is simply that the one thing each of those years has in common is a completely dysfunctional offense that couldn't sustain drives, or would give the wildcats the ball through turnovers. I don't think we see that this year, nor do I think the last three years go the way they did if we have competent QB play. As I often said during the WM years, if teams have no fear that you can score, they approach things completely differently. Then as the game unfolds, their confidence only grows stronger(see Gsu). That's why Spurrier didn't lose to these types of teams, with Msu maybe being the exception. Even if teams could move the ball on us, which they often did, they also knew they couldn't stop us. I never go the feeling that OM or USce truly felt they had a chance at beating us. Again, I don't think any game is going to be easy this year because of defense. I just think we can score enough and somewhere along the way force atop of some type that gets us the win. We aren't blowing anyone out. I just think we'll win. As I said, Arkansas' defense looks like its playing disciplined enough to be problematic.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
They’ll both be a problem. Mobile qbs always give Dwag Choker’s defenses headaches, remember the last time Terry Wilson came to the Swamp? I do. Franks will want to play the game of his life against us, and I agree that Odom might be the bigger factor in the game.

The one advantage that we have is that our team at least knows Franks’ tendencies, and if we can rattle him early, it’s all downhill from there.....as we all unfortunately know too well.
Frank's tendency is to throw to wide open receivers. Grantham's tendency is to serve up lots of wide open receivers.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Thought we got the 2nd string guy last year, but could be wrong. And yeah, 2017 should've never gone our way. My point is simply that the one thing each of those years has in common is a completely dysfunctional offense that couldn't sustain drives, or would give the wildcats the ball through turnovers. I don't think we see that this year, nor do I think the last three years go the way they did if we have competent QB play. As I often said during the WM years, if teams have no fear that you can score, they approach things completely differently. Then as the game unfolds, their confidence only grows stronger(see Gsu). That's why Spurrier didn't lose to these types of teams, with Msu maybe being the exception. Even if teams could move the ball on us, which they often did, they also knew they couldn't stop us. I never go the feeling that OM or USce truly felt they had a chance at beating us. Again, I don't think any game is going to be easy this year because of defense. I just think we can score enough and somewhere along the way force atop of some type that gets us the win. We aren't blowing anyone out. I just think we'll win. As I said, Arkansas' defense looks like its playing disciplined enough to be problematic.

The problem as I see it, is like you made the analog a week ago, we are the opposite of the 2012 team. Have an offense, but no defense. If a team can limit our possessions on offense, which not on disrupts the offensive flow and gives us less chances to score. Which is why I don't worry about teams like Tennesse or Vandy, both teams panic and cause their own problems. UK and Ark are built to limit the other teams possessions. So a bad possession which we tend to be prone to have (especially in the first half) could be very costly.

If UK hadn't played as well as they have and hadn't won in the swamp two years I would feeling the same way you do on confidence, but there are kids on the roster that knows what it's like to win in the Swamp in a full house. I expect Arkansas to fold for that reason though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.