Hammerin’ Hank Aaron dead at 86

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Bonds was a competitor, like many competitors, driven to be the best.

He saw what Sosa and Maguire were doing and it pissed him off. They were cheating to be better than him. His competitive nature pushed him to beat them and if he had to cheat like them to do it, so be it. That's as much on Baseball as it is on Bonds. If Baseball wasn't going to police it, he was going to do what he had to do level the playing field against the juicers.

That said, I think Bonds is a monumental prick and I can't stand him. Fcuk him. We learned as kids that two wrongs don't make a right. That's why Junior Griffey should be more appreciated.

I am a Hank Aaron fan. His numbers are incredible. He had a little bit of an advantage playing in Atlanta (if my recollection serves, it was the highest elevation of any ballpark until they built Coors Field for the Rockies, and a small park at that, I think it was nicknamed the "launchpad").

Hank was consistent, year in and year out. He could hit for power, hit for average, and was strong in the field and on the base paths. He was a great all-around player. Was he better than Ruth? Ruth's numbers were so good compared to the competition that "dwarfed" wasn't a good enough descriptor. "Ruthian" entered the lexicon to describe someone whose accomplishments utterly shatter all the competition. Plus Ruth could pitch and do it well. It's tough to compare different eras but Aaron was the best of his era and if not the greatest of all time, then certainly on the very short list. Rest in peace, Hank Aaron.

Alex.

Correct

I can’t take anyone in baseball (administration, ownership and the media) seriously anymore after they all looked the other way and pretended like it was all legitimate.

The lack of integrity will manifest itself once again when these same self righteous hypocrites eventually vote all the juicers into the hall of fame.
They will convince themselves that a delay in admission is equal to denying admission.

Hank Aaron is the all-time home run champion.

Roger Maris holds the single season record.

End of story

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Great memories. My brother used to quiz me on the stats. I knew them all. Baseball reigned supreme back then. Now I never watch a game. There have been instances where I’ll ask who someone is and find out they are an 8 time all star with 2 MVP’s and I never heard of him. Crazy. But baseball was a huge part of my childhood.

Same here.

I have lost two of my all time favorite players from my youth in Hank and the great Bob Gibson.

Much like all the other professional sports, the allure of massive dollars has changed the games to the point of being unrecognizable compared to the sixties and seventies.

I also believe that sedentary lifestyles has hindered the relationship of sports and children. There was a tight connection between playing the games and then watching the same games back in the day. Today children play the games online and then watch them on TV.

Not the same at all

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
I miss that era tremendously. To think Aaron, Mays, Mantle and Clemente were roaming the outfield and guys like Gibson, Marichal, Seaver and Koufax on the mound. A great time to be a kid.

Treebeard

Oops, just stepped on a Lorax.
Lifetime Member
Dec 23, 2015
140729285_10159460963924887_4072039994815684996_n.jpg

Scott512

Sep 1, 2014
RIP Hank Aaron. He was the quiet legend. One of the all-time greats but he never acted that way. Hank Aaron was the antithesis to LeBron James and the me me me I am the greatest generation.

I'm so sorry Hank had to go through that awful time of hate from some people leading in to 1974 when he was approaching breaking the home run record of the Bambino Babe Ruth. People should have been better than that. Heck the Bambino would have celebrated with Hank for breaking his home run record by buying him a beer and a burger.

Fortunately most people were great to Hank.

I'm not happy with the game of baseball in recent years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.