Has anyone heard if Coach Mac is planning to open Spring Practice to fans?

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
Who really cares? The HC can pretty much do what he wants for as long as he wants as long as he wins.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
ufgator812;n144412 said:
Who really cares? The HC can pretty much do what he want for as long as he wants as long as he wins.

Pretty much this. People just find extraneous bullcrap to bitch about because WM didn't win enough games. He could have donated $5M to the homeless, cured cancer, and solved global warming during his tenure, and people still would have found a reason to complain about him because he didn't win enough. Grow up, people. :rolleyes:

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Captain Sasquatch;n144409 said:
I thought that's what games were for.

Yeah, and in the past at UF and in the present at many other schools, open spring practices are for those things, too. It's a pretty easy concept for most people of average or above intelligence to grasp. You seem to be having difficulty with it though.

By the way, I'm still waiting for you to tell us all of the names of those other coaches that close all of their spring practices to the public that you referenced earlier in this thread.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Captain Sasquatch;n144416 said:
Pretty much this. People just find extraneous bullcrap to bitch about because WM didn't win enough games. He could have donated $5M to the homeless, cured cancer, and solved global warming during his tenure, and people still would have found a reason to complain about him because he didn't win enough. Grow up, people. :rolleyes:

No people were bitching about this year's ago before his incompetence truly showed itself. Spring ball practices at Florida traditionally had been open to the public. They are open at many other programs, too. When the new coach comes in and shuts the fans out it's probably not a smart move. CWM was a cold fish from the get go as far as his interaction with the fans. His failure to win compounded people's dislike of him and his methods.

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
GatorInGeorgia;n144496 said:
No people were bitching about this year's ago before his incompetence truly showed itself. Spring ball practices at Florida traditionally had been open to the public. They are open at many other programs, too. When the new coach comes in and shuts the fans out it's probably not a smart move. CWM was a cold fish from the get go as far as his interaction with the fans. His failure to win compounded people's dislike of him and his methods.

I didn't like the WM hiring from day 1, but damn...it's practice, man, practice. The switch from Coke to Pepsi was a much bigger deal for me.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Marianna said:
Closed practices are the Norm nowadays across the country.

Yup.

Norm_Peterson_drinks_beer.jpg

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
If you want to still bitch about WM, you're an idiot. If you still want to protect him, you're an idiot. Did I cover everyone? :grouphug:

Swamp Queen

Founding Member
Mrs. Sasquatch
BANNED
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
GatorInGeorgia;n144496 said:

Dude, relax. You're getting far too worked up about stupid practices that you probably wouldn't attend anyway.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I think he wanted to go so he could boo Randy Effin Shannon from the stands.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Law98gator;n144566 said:
I think he wanted to go so he could boo Randy Effin Shannon from the stands.

I don't dislike Shannon. He's a very good recruiter and I think he would be a decent hire at this time. I'm just not convinced he's getting hired.

FatCatG8r

Aug 10, 2014
Look! I just asked because I was curious about our new coach's style. So far he has seemed to have a people/player/fan first approach and I wondered how far it would go. I used to go to Spring (since Charley Pell watched it all from his tower) practices because I enjoyed watching the coach/player interactions and to see if I could spot special players who would have an impact in the fall (I saw Wilbur when he was a Freshman being screamed at by a coach before hardly anyone but me had even heard of him). Literally thousands (often 500 or more per practice) of fans would show up and I gotta say, a good time was had by all. Not a frown to be seen. Good will with the fan base went a long way and the players seemed to feed off the energy, making for better practices. I say open up the Spring and close the Fall if you want, but bring back open practices and you will see fan support bloom like a field of wild flowers. There are ways to deal with Interent/eBay riff-raff and the worst of the media. Just don't punish the real fans in the process. I have a gut feeling CJM will see it my way.

In the imitable words of Ox:

"Discuss"

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
FatCatG8r;n144601 said:
Look! I just asked because I was curious about our new coach's style. So far he has seemed to have a people/player/fan first approach and I wondered how far it would go. I used to go to Spring (since Charley Pell watched it all from his tower) practices because I enjoyed watching the coach/player interactions and to see if I could spot special players who would have an impact in the fall (I saw Wilbur when he was a Freshman being screamed at by a coach before hardly anyone but me had even heard of him). Literally thousands (often 500 or more per practice) of fans would show up and I gotta say, a good time was had by all. Not a frown to be seen. Good will with the fan base went a long way and the players seemed to feed off the energy, making for better practices. I say open up the Spring and close the Fall if you want, but bring back open practices and you will see fan support bloom like a field of wild flowers. There are ways to deal with Interent/eBay riff-raff and the worst of the media. Just don't punish the real fans in the process. I have a gut feeling CJM will see it my way.

In the imitable words of Ox:

"Discuss"

You're absolutely correct. Going to the spring practices was always a good time. It seems that many people on this board want to rip those of us who see it for the goodwill it brings to the program and for those of us trying to have a civil discussion about the possibility of those practices being re-opened. I wouldn't be surprised to see McElwain open things up for the very reasons you mention. I hope it happens.

Swamp Queen

Founding Member
Mrs. Sasquatch
BANNED
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
GatorInGeorgia;n144602 said:
You're absolutely correct. Going to the spring practices was always a good time. It seems that many people on this board want to rip those of us who see it for the goodwill it brings to the program and for those of us trying to have a civil discussion about the possibility of those practices being re-opened. I wouldn't be surprised to see McElwain open things up for the very reasons you mention. I hope it happens.

:violin:

I haven't seen a single post "ripping" anyone. You're taking this way too personally.

PaulDrake

Della Street's Baby Daddy
Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
At this point I thought the territorial pissing matches would abate somewhat with a new coach. But testosterone is as testosterone is I guess. Look, practices that are closed, open, peekaboo or whatever it's obviously the HBC's prerogative and at this point its one that is moot. I suppose if someone wanted to take the time to troll the CSU boards to find out how he handled practices there one could do so but I think we all have better things to do with our Sundays. I just know this. April 4th or 11th, whichever the 2015 O and B game is scheduled, I'll be there to breathe in the fresh air and clear the palate from the past four years. I haven't bothered to go since that Dawg came in and pissed in our territory. I'm really jacked up about going this year to see if we can get a peek at what an imaginative and creative offense with Gator colors might look like. The only dog I want to see pissing in our backyard from here out is named Claribell. Bring on the new season!

FatCatG8r

Aug 10, 2014
[h=2]Has anyone heard if Coach Mac is planning to open Spring Practice to fans?[/h]

I think that would go a long way in helping Gator fans past the recent past, if you know what I mean.
grouphug.gif

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
He's not going to open it up. He told Bob Redman that he has no plans to do that. It's just not what he does

FatCatG8r

Aug 10, 2014
Well, at least someone had the temerity to answer the question. Even if it did take asking twice to get a bite. Too bad. I really enjoyed watching the the bodies float by glinting in the sun. I also enjoyed watching the players practice. In fact, I hope your information is wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.