How do we fix the offense?

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
lagator;309646 said:
He just did, so what's your issue? He's by far the best we have. He's better than Powell but got benched for him, then we put in a guy who would be lucky to hit 50% of EP. We chase missed EP with multiple missed 2 pt conversions.

If you want to believe Macs fully behind him, but the only issue is he can't hit EP's and FG's as well as the other guys that's your right.

I never said McElwain was fully behind him. He expects him to go out there and make his kicks. In his time at UF, he has often been unable to do that and his stats bear that out. I hope he remains the kicker for the remainder of the year, but history is not on his side.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Moronathon.:rotfl:

Great article.
"In fact, going back and watching the film, every single one of Harris' 12 completions came from the pocket. All of them."

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
Whew, that was tough. Brutally hot.

Give Vandy credit. As others have noted, Vandy is damned good on D and they have seen the tape on Treon. They schemed to defend against us perfectly. As Cap noted they covered up very well and their ends and middle linebackers were making mincemeat of our OL. And every time Treon rolled out, someone was in his lap. Expect teams to follow this blueprint the rest of the season.

My criticism of Treon is that he is not able to be consistent on short throws. He hits a few intermediate range passes but he can't complement them quick short patterns. He overthrows or underthrows the easy ones - a lot.

We aren't going to be able to re-invent him as QB at this point and we can't reinstall read-option. The very last arrow in the quiver is the "gator tail" package they have practiced with Josh Grady. My guess is that Mac will hold this wrinkle back until the SECCG. He's willing to run the offense as is vs the clowns in order to give us a slight chance at surprising an elite bammer D that won't prepare for "gator tail" plays if we don't put any of it on tape before December. We can use it in short yardage situations if we are really getting shut down the way LSU was.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
LongTooth;n309661 said:
The very last arrow in the quiver is the "gator tail" package they have practiced with Josh Grady. My guess is that Mac will hold this wrinkle back until the SECCG. He's willing to risk a loss to the clowns in order to give us a slight chance at surprising an elite bammer D that won't prepare for "gator tail" plays if we don't put any of it on tape before December.
So, Bammer plays Cowbell and Barn just before us. Do you think that Josh Grady is better running the QB keeper than Dak Prescott or whatever person is playing QB for Barn? Or that Bammer can't just run the defense they had ready for those guys with minimal effort?

Surprising people with the Wildcat just doesn't work any more with half the teams in CFB running it.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Hes willing to risk a loss against FSU to hide trickery against Bama? Come on...we dont have the offense to beat Bama even with trickery or special "packages". Bamas D will make Vandy look like nothing. Treon sees ghosts after 3-4 scramble plays and we will be easy to beat.

Swamped Gator

Sep 17, 2014
NavetG8r;n309641 said:
I don't want to see it every play, because Treon is all we have left that's even serviceable (presumably, only the coaches know for sure), but it may help to have more designed QB runs. Not a lot, but enough to try to keep the defenses more honest. If Treon gets hurt it's the end of the season probably, but, if we don't start using his strengths more, we may not win another game this year other than FAU anyway. Other teams have learned to keep Treon in the pocket and they shut our offense down. Something has to change if we want to win more than 1 more game. Heathy Treon, or hurt Treon makes no difference going forward without some kind of change in the offense. It's time to start taking some risks, or concede the rest of the season. 9 points won't be enough against USCe, FSU and Bama.

I agree 100% It's a horrible situation to be in. Run Treon more and risk completely tanking the season if he gets hurt, or don't run him more and risk completely tanking the season because he can't throw.

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
Law98gator;n309663 said:
So, Bammer plays Cowbell and Barn just before us. Do you think that Josh Grady is better running the QB keeper than Dak Prescott or whatever person is playing QB for Barn? Or that Bammer can't just run the defense they had ready for those guys with minimal effort?

Surprising people with the Wildcat just doesn't work any more with half the teams in CFB running it.

No, Grady is not Prescott. Just saying that we are who we are and we've got to try and go with whatever we've got. What else can we do? Use every player you've got I say.

Like you said, we can't just put in last year's playbook. But Mac has already noted they have a package for Grady installed. That would seem to be the last wrinkle we could throw in so why not try use it if an opportunity arises on short yardage? especially against defenses like FSU and Bama that will be looking to have even more success against our base offense than Vandy did.

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
gatormandan;n309664 said:
Hes willing to risk a loss against FSU to hide trickery against Bama? Come on...we dont have the offense to beat Bama even with trickery or special "packages". Bamas D will make Vandy look like nothing. Treon sees ghosts after 3-4 scramble plays and we will be easy to beat.

I think we can at least have a little more success trying to move the ball against FSU. i don't think waiting until bama for anything novel is necessarily risking a loss against the clowns (edit: it's not a big risk in this case. we'll be ready to ball vs FSU). We may not have as much of a need for anything new vs FSU in g-ville, but bama is playing off the charts good right now and we have next to nothing that will keep them off balance. might as well try everything.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
What do we do next year when we lose our 2 most experienced offensive linemen, best TE, and still have Harris at QB pending Griers appeal?

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
LongTooth;n309661 said:
He's willing to risk a loss to the clowns in order to give us a slight chance at surprising an elite bammer D that won't prepare for "gator tail" plays if we don't put any of it on tape before December. .

100% in disagreement with that. A couple of reasons, we wouldn't make the playoffs losing to the clowns and still winning the SEC, yes, having an SEC title would be fantastic, but Mac knows we don't stack up well against Bama, we have a better chance of beating the criminoles in the Swamp, plus Mac knows beating them in the Swamp in front of a lot of recruits will help land a bunch of those recruits who might be considering Free Shoes U. No way he holds back from beating a rival, in the Swamp. Plus beating the clowns and losing in the seccg would probably still put us in a jan 1 bowl, whereas losing both drops us down the ladder.

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
Concrete Helmet;n309679 said:
What do we do next year when we lose our 2 most experienced offensive linemen, best TE, and still have Harris at QB pending Griers appeal?

i've been thinking about this a lot. throw in the fact that we lose morrison, bullard, and hargreaves on the defensive side of things and we may see a bit of a sophomore slump in Mac's second year. we've been riding some serious luck and had grier to bail us out vs UT.

even if we don't get the eastern division next year, the long term trend for the team is still upward and i am excited for the future under Mac.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
We will see improvements between the SECCG and the bowl. We will then see an even larger improvement the second year. Our 18-19 YO OL will be a year older, with the advantages that the weight room will bring. Our 2nd and 3rd string TEs are playmakers now. We will be fine.

Our real problem next year may still be backers. We whiffed last year on LB and true freshmen don't farewell at LB either.

It's way to early to be prognosticating about what next year looks like, except that its easy to know we will be better than the Ark-kansas Piglets.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
There is no way to fix the offense because it isn't really broken. It's learning, The Oline needs to master SEC football 101. Little things like run-blocking and pass protection. They've been slow to learn. Asking them to do something different is unrealistic. I think JMac stays the course and continues to teach the Oline to play for the way he wants to run the offense in the future. A future with something other than a scatback QB. As far as the scatback QB I think JMac also stays the course to get Treon to play in JMac's system. Not the other way around. So don't expect to see any Wildcat or option or anything else that you can think of other than what Jmac has been successful with. We're going to see ugly football until the Oline gets it and either Treon get's it or Grier comes back.

http://www.alligatorarmy.com/2015/4/11/8381081/florida-gators-offense-jim-mcelwain-philosophy-style

Intersting article about JMac. It turns out he's not really a multiple read guy after all. Meaning Treon has a chance If the Oline does it's job.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
CaribGator;n309681 said:
100% in disagreement with that. A couple of reasons, we wouldn't make the playoffs losing to the clowns and still winning the SEC, yes, having an SEC title would be fantastic, but Mac knows we don't stack up well against Bama, we have a better chance of beating the criminoles in the Swamp, plus Mac knows beating them in the Swamp in front of a lot of recruits will help land a bunch of those recruits who might be considering Free Shoes U. No way he holds back from beating a rival, in the Swamp. Plus beating the clowns and losing in the seccg would probably still put us in a jan 1 bowl, whereas losing both drops us down the ladder.
I think our D can get 14 from FSU and hold them to 13.

Let me edit this.

I think our special teams can get 7 and our D get another 7....if one of them happens, the D will keep them under 7.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
For the remainder of this season: 1) get a little better (consistent) play from the OL; 2) get better at executing what we do; 3) don't turn the ball over, or at least win the turnover battle each game; 4) at a minimum, get at least 2 first downs per drives (particularly those starting on the 25 or less) and keep sticking the punts inside the 20. The constant long field is an energy robber.

For next year: 1) yeah, recruit better, especially get us two more scholarship QBs and a couple of top JUCO OL wouldn't hurt; 2) stay healthy and keep growing up.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I think our O-lineman need to stop taking showers 3 days before the game.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
I saw a few plays yesterday where we rolled Treon out to his left and he ended up throwing the ball downfield. Those passes looked pretty weak and we're luck he wasn't intercepted more. If we are going to roll him out of the pocket and ask him to throw, roll him to the right so his momentum works in his favor. He doesn't have that strong of an arm. Asking him throw against his body on a left roll out is trouble waiting to happen.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
AugustaGator;n309373 said:
Well what is the drop off (limited play book) behind Treon? I imagine it is pretty steep.
How is that even possible? You're telling me there's zero chance of one of our walk ons being able to complete a few passes? This is every bit as bad as driskel if not worse.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
NavetG8r;n309641 said:
I don't want to see it every play, because Treon is all we have left that's even serviceable.
I just don't buy that. Kinda like they told us him and grier were neck and neck.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Luke del Rio would be eligible and the may would go after a graduate transfer. Hard to believe this staff would stick with treon

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator