How do we fix the offense?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
cover2;n309850 said:
For the remainder of this season: 1) get a little better (consistent) play from the OL; 2) get better at executing what we do; 3) don't turn the ball over, or at least win the turnover battle each game; 4) at a minimum, get at least 2 first downs per drives (particularly those starting on the 25 or less) and keep sticking the punts inside the 20. The constant long field is an energy robber.

For next year: 1) yeah, recruit better, especially get us two more scholarship QBs and a couple of top JUCO OL wouldn't hurt; 2) stay healthy and keep growing up.
I would say two more scholarship QBs (and Trask the uber project doesn't count).

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n309864 said:
I just don't buy that. Kinda like they told us him and grier were neck and neck.
You think Mac would rather just lose than play all those excellent walkons we have?

There is no doubt that Guy could toss a short or medium pass, but it's also obvious Mac doesn't think he is an option.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n309880 said:
You think Mac would rather just lose than play all those excellent walkons we have.

There is no doubt that Guy could toss a short or medium pass, but it's also obvious Mac doesn't think he is an option.

He needs to condsider it, I'm on the verge of slitting my wrist here

G8RATL

Master of My Domain
Aug 14, 2015
Few takeaways. Nothing much different than others but...
1) Our O line was atrocious. No run blocking and zero pass protection. Anytime Vandy brought another rusher, they were untouched into the backfield.
2) Treon is just not that good. He is too short for downfield vision. His arm is weak and is lucky those floaters in the last two games that the receivers came back or stopped and waited for the ball before the defender could get it.
3) Treon is too slow to release. Just like Driskell, he makes one read, WAITS for the receiver to FINISH the route, and then decides to throw or run. The difference with Grier is that he released quick and threw to where the receiver would be going. The quick release covered for the bad line play. Even when Treon had time, he just didn't release the ball and give the receivers a chance.

We need better O line play and Treo is who we thought he is....a 2nd string guy not the future.

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The offense had 201 yds in the 1st half. I felt pretty good about that. The 2 turnovers in the red zone and the reversed call on Powell's TD were the killers. Then came the 3rd quarter where they posted -18 yards. It seemed as if we had no idea what to do out there, mostly on the line of scrimmage. In the 4th, we moved the ball again pretty good. I think we had about 75 yards. The DRob fumble in the red zone was obviously the killer, but we manged to get a W, despite losing the turnover battle 4-0. Was Saturday rough? Yes, it was. But I think the offense will be OK, and that's all it needs to be.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n309882 said:
He needs to condsider it, I'm on the verge of slitting my wrist here
You know the old saying, go up and down the river not across the highway.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Law98gator;n309880 said:
You think Mac would rather just lose than play all those excellent walkons we have.

I'm with you. We've seen Grady. He is a spread-option QB. He can't run Mac's system. However, he has played QB this year ahead of Guy. That means Guy has no business playing. My guess is, if he actually played, we would see an utterly lost quarterback. Treon is it. Gator fans need to accept this. Also, I think you were right in your comments in the chatterbox during the game. Saturday was more about the poor play of the o-line than Treon. Fred Johnson was embarrassingly bad.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
​
Zambo;n309432 said:
The problems with our O line and QB are obvious. One thing that would help prevent games like the one against Vandy from turning into heart attacks in waiting is the damn kicking game. How many points did we leave on the field simply because we don't even have a sub par kicking game? Is there a team in the entire country with a worse kicking situation?

Stop turning the ball over would be my first and strongest suggestion. We had FOUR turnovers yesterday, and that killed us in several ways. Folks are bemoaning the kicking game - for me that is the obvious field goal issues we've got, but it also extends to kickoffs (haven't been that much of an issue iirc) and punting. Our punting has been stellar this year, but if we're turning the ball over we don't have a chance to employ that asset to our game. Now, I'll concede, punting would not have done much about their 70+ yd TD run, and wouldn't have lowered the number of points Vandy got on us in that particular game. But against better teams, we need to have them cover the whole damn field in order to score. Moreover, if you at least get to a fourth down and are forced to punt, you are buying just that much more time for our defense to catch their breath. I was cussing out the offense on their behalf yesterday, they had to be getting pissed. Get back to the right side of the turnover margin and there are a lot fewer heart attacks in waiting.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Concrete Helmet;n309679 said:
What do we do next year when we lose our 2 most experienced offensive linemen, best TE, and still have Harris at QB pending Griers appeal?

OL will continue to grow, more playing time for younger guys. It's not like our '2 most experienced' OL are gaining all that much for us, it's still a week line overall. Yes, we lose McGee at TE, but Goolsby has me excited for his future, and Lewis hasn't made me shake my head. Add to that how much we have used the TE and I think we get a one or two good ones in next year's class to keep building that position's depth. QB? Well, we'll likely still have Harris on the sideline, and if WG is still serving his suspension, we'll also have del Rio. No idea how good del Rio may be, only that he's not eligible now and he'll have been under MacNuss for a year of practice before he'd be asked to perform. If he bumps TH off the QB1 spot, I'll believe he's earned it and the coaches think he can get us the win better than TH. Maybe TH is still a better option than del Rio, I don't know. Key is when will WG be back.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
TLB;n310133 said:
​

Stop turning the ball over would be my first and strongest suggestion. We had FOUR turnovers yesterday, and that killed us in several ways. Folks are bemoaning the kicking game - for me that is the obvious field goal issues we've got, but it also extends to kickoffs (haven't been that much of an issue iirc) and punting. Our punting has been stellar this year, but if we're turning the ball over we don't have a chance to employ that asset to our game. Now, I'll concede, punting would not have done much about their 70+ yd TD run, and wouldn't have lowered the number of points Vandy got on us in that particular game. But against better teams, we need to have them cover the whole damn field in order to score. Moreover, if you at least get to a fourth down and are forced to punt, you are buying just that much more time for our defense to catch their breath. I was cussing out the offense on their behalf yesterday, they had to be getting pissed. Get back to the right side of the turnover margin and there are a lot fewer heart attacks in waiting.

You are right about the turnovers but I think almost all of our turnovers occurred due to the player involved acting in desperation, trying to do too much. When you are behind you start pressing, trying to make things happen. Drob's fumble is a perfect example. The 4th down toss is another. CeCe's fumble came because we were too afraid to kick an easy FG. Hell even Treon's scramble might have just been a run out of bounds if we weren't desperate for every yard we could get. With a decent FG kicker, Vandy never would have been within a TD of us after the first quarter. Then THEY would be the ones pressing, and hopefully turning it over to us.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Didn't read the entire thread, so forgive me is some of this has been touched on. But here are some of my thoughts from Saturday.

As much as we hate them, games like this happen almost every week in cfb, and truthfully some of our best teams have had similar moments('93 Uk, '96 Vu, '05 VU, '08 OM, etc). So I'm not sure we can, or should, read too much into this. Each game has its own identity and is unique. We probably weren't as good as we looked against OM either, but certainly played that way that night. I won't discredit VU's performance, but they clearly approached this game with intensity and focus, and we simply did not,as evidenced by the very out-of-character fumbles. We had several chances in the first half to put this game out of reach of their gameplan. We simply let it slip away. I don't think that's a pattern.

Something to consider. Our season really set up beautifully for us with the increase in caliber of opponent, and with that, an increase in what was at stake. Many felt the UK game basically determined whether or not we went bowling. Then of course the ut game has the highest of stakes every year. Then we face #5 with a chance to make a statement win. Then it's the Mizzou trap game. Then Lsu and our biggest test of the season. Then uga for the East. As much fun as it's been, it's also been an extremely pressure packed season. I think last week was the first time we've had a chance to take a breath, and I think we did,which almost cost us.

Treon didn't play well, but neither did anyone on the offensive side of the ball, imo. The OL was banged up and it showed. They won the battle at the line, and I'm not sure many QB's would've fared much better. Even as great as the D played, they failed in getting a turnover, including what looked like a fairly easy pick dropped by VH3. Bottomline, the entire team was off.

I don't think there's much we can do other than blocking better. Regardless of who we have at QB. we have to be able to establish the run. If we do that, think we'll be ok.

I also think the silver lining was Hardin's kick to hopefully reestablish his confidence. I'd be shocked if we don't need the kicking game somewhere down the line this season.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Vandy played to get the best chance of victory. Avoid turnovers by running the ball. Avoid Treyon getting a big play by blitzing and shadowing. Even with that it took a unusual play and a TD being turned over, and kicking issues to give them the chance that they did not cash in.

We do need much better play on the offense, but that should be possible.

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Those clamoring for Greir need to accept that at best he will be out the rest of this season. As for the offense it's hard to say. I feel like o see crossing routes open all day but Treon just can't see them. Rolling to the right every pass play is predictable but not much else to do. Need more Scarlett IMO. Maybe some more 3 TE sets or jumbo packages?

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
williston_gator;n310349 said:
Those clamoring for Greir need to accept that at best he will be out the rest of this season. As for the offense it's hard to say. I feel like o see crossing routes open all day but Treon just can't see them. Rolling to the right every pass play is predictable but not much else to do. Need more Scarlett IMO. Maybe some more 3 TE sets or jumbo packages?
I agree Wilis... in addition what does our OL need, help. Bring in a FB and max protect at times. Can you imagine what Taylor and Scarlett could do with a FB? With TH back there you should do some zone read. He can burn you with his feet.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
williston_gator;n310349 said:

Law's already stated that Grier will be back soon

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator