How do you really feel about next year?

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Any concerns, issues or reason to be off the wall happy about? I'll bump the thread next month and then once Spring ball is over...just for fun.
Sure, but you wanted definitives, not what if's.

:stickpoke:

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Define fine?

It was a joke, oh concrete one. Ok, let's look back to look forward. Did anyone realistically expect to win the East this year considering the dumpster fire Mac was left with and where all the official prognosticators expected us to be? Probably not.They over achieved and the difference has to be coaching plus the fact that this coach got some new players who immediately contributed. A weak East and things that just fell our way helped. So, on that alone he gets COY. Did this year more help or hurt our recruiting? I'd say help. Our needs should be obvious to all and I agree with Mac getting us depth and think(hope) we still land some biggies. We need them but I almost think the depth is more important for the long haul because a large, secure, structure is only as good as the foundation it sits on. Sure, we want to win now, but I don't know about you but I don't want to keep going through the last few years again if possible. Is the jury still out on Mac? Maybe, but he's a vast improvement over Knuckles. Me? I just can't be worried with that yet, let the man do his job, there will be plenty of time in the future to crucify him if he crashes and burns.
The potential is there to win the East again, but it is for others, too. Our record may not be as good but I think we'll be getting better overall as a team. As others have said, the O should improve as the line does and as a QB who can execute emerges. The D can still be good but we need LB's and we need to stay relatively healthy. It should all, obviously, be clearer after spring ball.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
It was a joke, oh concrete one. Ok, let's look back to look forward. Did anyone realistically expect to win the East this year considering the dumpster fire Mac was left with and where all the official prognosticators expected us to be? Probably not.They over achieved and the difference has to be coaching plus the fact that this coach got some new players who immediately contributed. A weak East and things that just fell our way helped. So, on that alone he gets COY. Did this year more help or hurt our recruiting? I'd say help. Our needs should be obvious to all and I agree with Mac getting us depth and think(hope) we still land some biggies. We need them but I almost think the depth is more important for the long haul because a large, secure, structure is only as good as the foundation it sits on. Sure, we want to win now, but I don't know about you but I don't want to keep going through the last few years again if possible. Is the jury still out on Mac? Maybe, but he's a vast improvement over Knuckles. Me? I just can't be worried with that yet, let the man do his job, there will be plenty of time in the future to crucify him if he crashes and burns.
The potential is there to win the East again, but it is for others, too. Our record may not be as good but I think we'll be getting better overall as a team. As others have said, the O should improve as the line does and as a QB who can execute emerges. The D can still be good but we need LB's and we need to stay relatively healthy. It should all, obviously, be clearer after spring ball.
So to summarize you feel we are taking a step back which will lead to a leap forward, 2017 and beyond?

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Literally grabbed the first thing I came across. Wasn't trying to show any offensive improvement. Stats without context are for the weak minded. The fact that we are attempting the forward pass is enough for me to think we are going in the right direction.
Not sure 40 forward passes a game with Treon at QB shows any more intelligent coaching than Chumpball. And if we're being honest, the offense went to hell Meyer's last year, but obviously got even worse under the knuckle-dragger.

Even though the offense didn't really show improvement this year, I'm giving Mac a pass for year one due to the QB and O-line situation. Next year needs to show improvement. Otherwise you start to re-evaluate the coaching staff, particularly OC. Like they say, you can't fire the players so that limits your options for change.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
So far we all agree that the biggest issues facing the team going into next year are in no specific order.
1.) Offensive line, especially in the run game and in terms of quality depth.
2.)Quarterback, who is it going to be and will they be any good. Again quality depth and ability to perform under pressure in Mac's system.
3.)Defense, how far will we drop off if at all. Line should be solid barring injuries. LBer situation is frankly a mess. Not enough bodies, not enough experience.
4.)DB's might be OK, need to finalize line up and decide who takes over safety.
5.)Only 1 or 2 mention of ST. Kicking game may be the most solid unit we have next year.
6.)Recruiting. Are we getting the best players possible, or are we simply building numbers for the future while hoping a couple of big fish jump into our boat.
7.)Coaching to a degree has been brought up as a concern to play calling and QB development. Not sure we can tell just yet so that is a wait and see.

One place no one brought up that I saw was TE. I think Goolsby and Lewis are fine as flex TE's but I'd like to see us get or develop a true functional TE like Magee. only better at blocking as well as catching. Love 2 TE sets on 2nd &3 or 4.
Yankeetown brought up one that to me is just as important as anything listed above....physical strength. We need our guys to be bully's. I'm tired of watching directional school players holding their own and sometimes winning key physical battles with our players. Enough! I remember a time when we looked and played like the biggest nastiest team around...I'd like to see us like that again.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
So to summarize you feel we are taking a step back which will lead to a leap forward, 2017 and beyond?

If I have an opinion I'll type it, I don't need your help. Feel free to come to whatever misguided conclusion you want.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Well since we won a national championship in 1996 and then 2006. I think the trend continues and we win it all in 2016. Of course our last title was 2008 so it's possible that the next championship will be 2018, but hopefully it will be both 2016 and 2018.

Patterns aside, 2018 is probably most realistic as to when we will be legitimate national title contenders, assuming Mac can continue to recruit some top talent. I agree that the offense will be better because the O-line will not only be older but also physically stronger. Plus, Treon should (hopefully) never have to take a snap a QB ever again. RB's may be the strongest unit on office and we have a good group of WR/TE. On defense our depth at LB will cost us a game or two. Safety is also a big concern. Neal leaving hurts. None of the other safeties behind him were great in coverage or run support. That unit needs to be coached up. Fortunately Tabor and Wilson's presence will still keep this a good defense. Since Tabor and possibly Wilson too won't be around in 2017, I don't think we'll be a championship team then either.

So for next year with good coaching I say 9-10 wins depending on how good the QB is, unless of course the pattern continues.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Our linemen need to take a credit course in Ju-jitsu … that's all about readiness vs your
opponent's attack, foot positioning, balance, etc.??

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
He was awesome at catching the ball and picked up mucho 1st downs when we needed it. I don't think I am the only one who thought he could be a little better blocker though. I'm certainly not advocating that we use TE's for blocking only if that's what you thought I meant.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
If I have an opinion I'll type it, I don't need your help. Feel free to come to whatever misguided conclusion you want.
It was a question...I wanted to know if you thought we would be worse next year but it would lead us to be better in 2017....sorry I ask.

TheBoroGator

Newbiebutoldie
Sep 23, 2015
The answer is yes. We are heading in the right direction. Mac beat uga 27-3. In order to be a great coach at Florida, one must beat uga. Reference the history books if you don't believe me.
UF will improve in 2016 and 2017.
Sign lots of players. Add depth. Cut those who don't help the team. Sign more players. Mac is running this team like a business

2ndAmend

Oct 3, 2014
Will this do?

SEC East 2016
ut
jawja
UF (only if midget is not qb / if he is, swap places with dors)
ky-jelly
dors
mizzo "we let the thugs take over"
cork suckers (think Saturday Night Live skit)

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
It was a question...I wanted to know if you thought we would be worse next year but it would lead us to be better in 2017....sorry I ask.

Sorry I was short with you. Probably. Maybe. I don't know. :D

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
As all SEC coaches will say, it's a LOS league....

So on OLine we will return Sharpe and F. Johnson as tackles. We'll see if Ivey gets into the competition or not. Harkless and Mike have the size to be tackles, but I really haven't heard too much about them. The interior of the line gets interesting. I think Dillard is demoted to second string and possibly lower. Ivey could easily continue at G and cross train with the tackle position. Jordan also received a lot of valuable experience, and will have the opportunity to become the starting C. Buchanan, Sandifer, and Desir-Jones have all been praised at various times from fall camp all the way to bowl practices. They appear all to be G's. McCoy is the transfer, and I've heard some say he has the tools to be a C. I think we have a lot of young talent on the OLine. The trick will be finding a C and cultivating enough T depth. I don't think we'll be a great line, but definitely a vastly improved line.

Along with an improved line will come a better run game. A better run game will take pressure off of our QB's and allow them to become game managers. I expect a RB by committee approach similar to what LSU had a few years back. WR play will be improved because I expect at least one of the Fr to make an impact. Also, I think either Powell will improve in his 2nd year as a WR, or Worton will grow up and put the work in. Don't sleep on Jackson, I think he'll make a contribution this year. I also expect Lewis to pass Goolsby and be the more trusted TE.

On the DLine we should be fine. Fowler left and Bullard stepped up. Now Bullard leave, so who will step up. I think many will. Brantley will be look upon as the next guy, but he will have help. Cox has improved every year, and I think he does the same this year. I also expect Jefferson to make a jump in production. Ivie was steady last year and should improve. Clark and Holley will add depth, although I think one of them may break out this season. Taven Bryan appears to be more in the mold of Bullard in the fact that he can play inside and out, just not Bullard's level. We will finally see if Zuniga has any potential, and if Davis will improve after gaining experience this year. Sherit had flashes this year, but Reed was the one who seemed to have more upside. If those two can't get to the QB, we might see the Fr Clayton get an opportunity to make an impact on situation downs. There is talent on the DLine, but the depth is the strength. They should stay fresh the entire game.

LB's a huge question mark, as are the safeties. If Davis and Anzalone stay healthy, we should be good. McMillian has been a disappointment, I hope he gets his act together. Until NSD hits, who knows what we'll have at LB.

DB's should be fine for the most part. Maye hasn't declared yet (that I know of). He'll be the SS and so long as the FS stays deep, it doesn't matter a whole lot. Tabor and Wilson will be one of the better combos in the nation. We have a ton of young talent coming in, but who knows if any of them will contribute outside of Gardner. We need Dawson and Washington to step up.

So I think we'll be a top 50 offense and top 50 defense. Too many unknowns to make a better guess than that. I think we win the East and are much more competitive in the SEC Championship game. We have a lot of young talent. The season will depend on getting some of them to become impact players.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
You don't think the center will be Tyler Jordan? He was pretty solid last year.
I think he will be in the mix, but who knows for sure will be the C next year. I think he'll be in the 2 deep. I don't think Dillard will be, but I have heard folks mention that McCoy is capable, but I have no idea for sure. Heck Heggie could pull a Degory and start as a FR. Who knows, but I doubt Dillard is on the 2 deep at all by the end of the season.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I think he will be in the mix, but who knows for sure will be the C next year. I think he'll be in the 2 deep. I don't think Dillard will be, but I have heard folks mention that McCoy is capable, but I have no idea for sure. Heck Heggie could pull a Degory and start as a FR. Who knows, but I doubt Dillard is on the 2 deep at all by the end of the season.

Heggie was supposedly lights out at the UA practices. I'd like to see him RS but he may end up in the 2 deep.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.