How it used to be

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Before cell phones, before 4.8 GPA requirements, before big screen TVs, before instant gratification demands and before years of agonizing offense, missing game day at the Swamp was unheard of. Even when teams like New Mexico State came to town the Swamp was packed and rockin'.

While I think we have a long way to go before teams fear playing in the Swamp again, here's hoping this Saturday sets the tone for the future in a positive way.

"But to truly understand and appreciate what “The Swamp” was like in Spurrier’s hey day, consider the words of New Mexico State coach Bill Hess, who was in absolute awe of what his team experienced.

“I don’t think you’re No. 1 just because you run up 70 points on somebody, but I’ll say this about Florida -- they’ve got a No. 1 atmosphere. I’ve never seen such a rabidness, such mania with a crowd,” Hess said. “When Florida ran on the field, the fans nearly blew the roof off the place. We’re not used to that in Las Cruces (N.M.). It was deafening. The crowd was just toying with us.”

He wasn’t done.

“I hate to see it when Alabama or Auburn comes in here,” Hess continued. “It’s probably just as awesome for them, too. This place is a different world. Those people know how to make noise.”

To the next generation of Gators fans, consider this a history lesson of what a day at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium can be. "

https://www.gatorzone.com/harry/blo...co State (and that season opener 21 years ago)

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Go Gata;n270643 said:
That made my nipples get hard.

leaving.gif

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
It was a great run and a blast to be there in person. SOS changed our mindsets from hoping to win to wondering how bad of a beat down we were gonna administer on a given Saturday. Don't think you'll ever see that type of dominance in the SEC again.

Gator87

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
We were loud before Spurrier.
Just a little something to get fired up before Saturday.
1985 vs Miami, today this would probably be called targeting.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Gator87;n270668 said:
It moved.

A lot.

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
UF vs Miami and vs USC in 1982 were crazy.

UF vs Auburn in 1986 was off the charts.

Just sayin' SOS didn't invent the heights the place could reach, but he perfected it with the quality of the team he built and the christening of the field as "The Swamp."

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
LongTooth;n270747 said:
Jarvis Williams and Louis Oliver were THE hit squad.

Louis Oliver and Lawrence Wright are my all time favorite Gator safeties. Elam is up ther, too.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Gator87;n270668 said:

Jarvis, one of our Palatka boys. I wish I had video of the opening play of the '81 3A State Championship game. We played Riviera Beach Suncoast on a very cold night in the Palatka Panther Pit. RBS got the ball first. Jarvis ran down on kick coverage and literally knocked the guy out as soon as he caught the ball. Quite an opening statement, had to carry him off. Palatka won 42-2 to go undefeated.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator;n270784 said:
Louis Oliver and Lawrence Wright are my all time favorite Gator safeties. Elam is up ther, too.

Slobber Knocking Hits!!!

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator;n270657 said:
Don't think you'll ever see that type of dominance in the SEC again.
The SEC is currently as bad as it's ever been in my lifetime. Most teams are running a Stone Age offense, whether it's power I or veer out of spread formations with run first QBs. The few teams that actually attack either have a no defense (aTm) or are infected with dummazz (Ugly). The current beast of the SEC played a converted WR at QB last year and may do it again this year. All the top defenses cheat toward stopping the run and have been decimated by any QB who can actually penalize them for playing too tight. We suck as bad as the Big 10 of the 90s. It is painfully boring football. Same mentality on most coaching staffs.

The right coach could easily dominate this league again.

OllieGator

Founding Member
Member....huh, huh, huh
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Gator87;n270668 said:

Fairly certain that was 1986 and even though that's a hell of a hit, Bratton came back and killed us. In 1985 we beat them at the scUM.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
aka;n270816 said:
Jarvis, one of our Palatka boys. I wish I had video of the opening play of the '81 3A State Championship game. We played Riviera Beach Suncoast on a very cold night in the Palatka Panther Pit. RBS got the ball first. Jarvis ran down on kick coverage and literally knocked the guy out as soon as he caught the ball. Quite an opening statement, had to carry him off. Palatka won 42-2 to go undefeated.

I was at that game too. Really cold but enjoyed watching the Palatka Braves er Panthers win

Gator87

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
OllieGator;n270895 said:
Fairly certain that was 1986 and even though that's a hell of a hit, Bratton came back and killed us. In 1985 we beat them at the scUM.

You're probably right we played Scum at home in the even years.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
It was raucous and loud in the stands since getting my freshman tickets... those Pell/Galen Hall teams were no slouches and we were passing chicks up 'up over the top' and clinking pints all game long. Yep, laryngitis was a badge of honor, lol. GO GATORS!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator