Founding Member
itsgr82bag8r;n271086 said:
flirting.gif

OMD!

ChattanooGATOR

Swollen Member
Aug 30, 2014
The Original DC;n271167 said:
This was the height of the pandemonium in the Swamp, I still get chills watching it. I remember yelling so loud after that Johnson-to-Quezzie play that I nearly passed out. I also miss Sean McDonough calling our games. He fed off the Swamp's energy and loved calling games there. You could hear in his voice, he was caught up in the emotion and energy of the crowd:

Hot Damn I have so much happiness tied to that afternoon.

If that doesn't make it move, you need to go ahead and cut it off.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
crosscreekcooter;n271209 said:
Anybody remember this guy?

gatorguy.jpg

Oh, yeah. I met him in the lobby of my Broward dorm my freshman year. He used to do this mannequin thing where he would just stand still for an hour. He also used to swim with the gators in Lake Alice and feed them chicken. Really weird dude. There were rumors that he was a shell shocked Vietnam vet and that his father was some rich guy that supported him. You would see him riding his bike around campus all the time.

Apparently he moved to LA because I saw him on some TV show years later doing his shtick on Hollywood Blvd.

divits

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
LongTooth;n271112 said:
does anyone remember "bananaman"?

Loved the Banana. I remember when some Banana interloper tried to horn in on his act with a newer more fancy banana costume. During the game they were both down on the field and the original banana guy was sitting on a bench looking a little depressed that this new dude was stealing his thunder. So our whole seating block started yelling for the old banana and chanting, "Go Bananas!'. He perked up and started doing his banana dance and came up into our block where he was promptly passed up.

A doctor buddy of mine said that he ended up becoming an anesthesiologist.

Dec 10, 2014
divits;n271259 said:
Oh, yeah. I met him in the lobby of my Broward dorm my freshman year. He used to do this mannequin thing where he would just stand still for an hour. He also used to swim with the gators in Lake Alice and feed them chicken. Really weird dude. There were rumors that he was a shell shocked Vietnam vet and that his father was some rich guy that supported him. You would see him riding his bike around campus all the time.

Apparently he moved to LA because I saw him on some TV show years later doing his shtick on Hollywood Blvd.

I pictured you as much younger.

Dec 10, 2014
divits;n271259 said:

I pictured you as much younger.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
There was a big change in the Swamp that made it much louder in 1991.

It used to be a horseshoe with the North Endzone open at the top. That made it a little cooler (more breeze coming in) and not as loud.

1991 was the first season after the North Endzone expansion.

Trust me...I saw games there before and after and it made a BIG difference. It was a combination of a lot more fans screaming and all the noise reverberating back to the field.

Plus, that's the year Spurrier named it the Swamp.

I'm not saying the fans were louder or crazier after 1991...but the stadium WAS much louder.

Alex.

divits

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
AlexDaGator;n271298 said:
There was a big change in the Swamp that made it much louder in 1991.

It used to be a horseshoe with the North Endzone open at the top. That made it a little cooler (more breeze coming in) and not as loud.

1991 was the first season after the North Endzone expansion.

Trust me...I saw games there before and after and it made a BIG difference. It was a combination of a lot more fans screaming and all the noise reverberating back to the field.

Plus, that's the year Spurrier named it the Swamp.

I'm not saying the fans were louder or crazier after 1991...but the stadium WAS much louder.

Alex.

Yeah, that certainly made a difference. But I also think the fans picked up on it and became a little more verbal and rabid because of it. And of course as you said, Spurrier with his offense and attitude played into it.

HogtownGator

It's Great to be a CCW
Aug 8, 2014
I wish I had a nickel for every time I went to work on Monday without a voice. Would love to have football that much fun again.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
divits;n271304 said:
Yeah, that certainly made a difference. But I also think the fans picked up on it and became a little more verbal and rabid because of it. And of course as you said, Spurrier with his offense and attitude played into it.

Well, we had a great team to root for, an exciting brand of football, and from 1990 to 1998 we only lost at home twice, and both were close games we could have won. All that helps...a lot.

Starting in Spurrier's second year with the closed endzone...we took great pride in causing false starts, delays of game, and wasted time outs. Crowd loved seeing some hapless QB trying mightily to audible, screaming one way, then the other, his own exasperated Tackles unable to hear any of it, finally giving up and calling TO (or going with a busted play).

Plus, for those first few years, the fans weren't spoiled by lots of big wins. I think the wildest crowds I remember were Surrier's first couple of years, 1990 and 1991, when many of the students and alums weren't spoiled and entitled. Every game mattered, and every SEC game was a big deal. By the late 90's, the big games were just as awesome but fans didn't get quite as fired up for non-conference games or SEC cellar-dwellers. People were a little more likely to leave early.

There was a similar effect going from Zook to Meyer. The first couple of Meyer years the fans weren't so spoiled anymore and really turned it up.

Alex.

HogtownGator

It's Great to be a CCW
Aug 8, 2014
AlexDaGator;n271337 said:
Well, we had a great team to root for, an exciting brand of football, and from 1990 to 1998 we only lost at home twice, and both were close games we could have won. All that helps...a lot.

Starting in Spurrier's second year with the closed endzone...we took great pride in causing false starts, delays of game, and wasted time outs. Crowd loved seeing some hapless QB trying mightily to audible, screaming one way, then the other, his own exasperated Tackles unable to hear any of it, finally giving up and calling TO (or going with a busted play).

Plus, for those first few years, the fans weren't spoiled by lots of big wins. I think the wildest crowds I remember were Surrier's first couple of years, 1990 and 1991, when many of the students and alums weren't spoiled and entitled. Every game mattered, and every SEC game was a big deal. By the late 90's, the big games were just as awesome but fans didn't get quite as fired up for non-conference games or SEC cellar-dwellers. People were a little more likely to leave early.

There was a similar effect going from Zook to Meyer. The first couple of Meyer years the fans weren't so spoiled anymore and really turned it up.

Alex.
By this logic, it should be insanely loud again tomorrow!

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
AlexDaGator;n271337 said:

Alex.

This is all spot on.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The year we clinched the SEC Championship against Kentucky fans stayed in the stadium for hours and hours after the game.....just pure electricity in the air...."We Are the Champions" played over and over.....fans singing along at the top of their lungs....I'll never forget that feeling....gives me chill bumps thinking about it

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
[QUOTE='78;n271053]

I don't know. How long is it? [/QUOTE]
Castanza shrinkage ! and when Elaine's date "took-it-out". And as to movement, when it failed George the prior
night and he ate one of Kramer's fresh papaya. = That's the way it was.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
divits;n271264 said:
Loved the Banana. A doctor buddy of mine said that he ended up becoming an anesthesiologist.

You sure that Doctor gave the diagnosis as numb-nuts.
I introduced his appealing mom to his dad. He was banana bread.

divits

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
rogdochar;n271553 said:
You sure that Doctor gave the diagnosis as numb-nuts.
I introduced his appealing mom to his dad. He was banana bread.

Ahhh....you're gonna' have to give me a second, doc. Let me just pull out my trusty ring here.....

Secret-Decoder-Ring_thumb.jpg

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
One occurrence that filled me with pride was a surprise event. I was watching the chosen-for-us Saturday college
football game on National TV when that famous announcer burst forth with : "What in the world is going on down
in Houston ?" It was then unknowns Reaves & Alvarez ****ing cougars. Great feeling of pride.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I didn't read through the whole thread but didn't it get louder after they finished the additional seats which basically closed off the stadium?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator