How We Fell from the Mountain Top

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
So I may be considered a sunshine pumper by some, but I really try to just stay optimistic and give things a chance. When I'm wrong, I try my best to admit it. I was big on supporting Muschamp and giving him every opportunity....I was wrong. I was confident in this years recruiting class, and it's a good class. But let's be honest, we had a let down. So after giving things some thought, I wanted to start a thread on how we got here. My intent is not to create a bashing thread, but for some folks to actually add insight. I'm thinking of guys like Cover2. Actually have a constructive discussion about why we are where we are.

Meyer Years
Meyer did a great job early on, but there were signs with the 2007 recruiting class. While there was immense talent, there were also a lot of misses. Brantley, Newton, Davis, Brown, Thompson, Edwards, and Finch were all big names that just didn't pan out. The only 3* that was worthwhile was Chas Henry, and K/P don't really count. It was a feast or famine class.

The 2008 class was even worse. The only real star was Janoris Jenkins and he didn't last long. Your 5*s were Patchan, Carl Moore, Will Hill and Omar Hunter. The only contributor of the bunch was Hunter, but he was an underachiever. The other 3 never lived up to their 5* billing, or even really came close.

2009 brought some solid guys and had some contributors, primarily because the prior two classes lacked. Bostic and Jenkins were great LBs for us. Gilly was underutilized and the same could be said for Reed. I'll even give Debose some credit just for the hell of it. He was great on returns. Halapio, Harrison, and Nixon were in the class, but they really weren't good, just better than what we had. Harrison was pretty decent for us though.

Now the fun part. Fake heart attacks and all that good stuff. Also Saban was coming off a Natty. The 2010 class was another feast or famine class. Defense had studs in Floyd, Elam, and Easely. Cody Riggs, Orr and Taylor were solid contributors. Powell was an underachiever. On offense we had Green on the OL and Patton. Not a bad class at all, but about 1/3 of the class either never showed up or transferred early.

To sum up, starting in 2007 we stopped having solid classes. The filler never really panned out and contributed, or you had filler like Halapio as a contributor, which doesn't make for solid play. Many of the stars didn't even pan out for one reason or another. QB was left devastated. Newton would have been great, but we know how that ended. Brantley was out of place. Burton was never going to play QB. Reed was too dumb to play QB, and Murphy was a project. DT's didn't pan out. OL recruiting and development were failing.

Meyer also let the players run the place, which led to poor discipline and a poor locker room. This was also about the time that we stopped making upgrades.

Muschamp Years
So yes he sucked. 3 OC's and stupid decision after stupid decision.

The 2011 class had Roberson, Purifoy, and Christy. No one else has contributed except Joyer. Poor class.

The 2012 class had many more contributors and some studs. OL was a disaster. Humphries who never played near his potential and Dunker who got kicked off campus. This class included Fowler, Bullard, Cox Jr., Morrison, Poole, Maye, and Jones. Jacobs was also in this class and was a decent contributor. Two topflight TE's never panned out and we got Hardin. A lot of guys left also. Perhaps one of the biggest tragedies was picking Morningwood over Paxton Lynch.

The 2013 class has not shown too much. Taylor developed well despite a poor OL, but Lane **** his pants twice and is now gone. Brantley, Davis and VH3 have played well for us. Anzalone is good when healthy. McMillian and Rolin are busts at this point. Joey Ivie and Neal are/were solid contributors. Robinson is another bust. The OL class could have been good, but both Johnson and Jackson had career ending injuries. Townsend has been a nice add. Overall, a decent class with some players who still have a chance to contribute.

The 2014 class is too new to really tell how they'll pan out. The OL class however, does not look good.

These years will be defined by the 2013 season where we lost to Ga Southern and Vandy. Poor roster management is another classic Muschamp staple.

Mac Years
Mac's first class was great considering the circumstances. His second looks like a solid class with holes at DT, OT, and LB (although we did get numbers).

The positives are that it looks like he can coach and develop guys. Recruiting could good if he gets the program turned around. He has forced Foley to make some improvements such as IPF, dorms, etc. The addition of QC staff.

The negatives are not having elite recruiters. Mac had to quickly assemble a staff, which didn't really go that well. He had to replace the DL coach and we got Rumph, which is a plus. Shannon has done nice things with the LBs, but not killing it on the trail. Callahan was garbage and now gone. Hopefully Law will be wrong and we'll get a good hire. I think we could probably upgrade two other coaches pretty easy in the offseason if Mac wanted to.

Mac has also had to deal with the Will Grier **** parade. Mac was still able to win the East, but it was a down year. I think most of us can see that Mac had little room for error this past year with our depth.

Summary
To me I see recruiting as the biggest issue. Scouting and management seemed to have been lacking for a while. OL recruiting has been poor until recently. LB continues to be an issue. Our only decent QB just f'd us over and is now gone.

The decline began with Meyer. Lots of star power and lots of no shows and transfers. By the end, OL depth suffered, but so did overall numbers. No real QB talent left either. Muschamp appeared to have some better recruiting in regards of evaluations, but his management was horrible. We also lacked the star power for the most part. Offensive recruiting was pretty poor as well.

Facilities had not been addressed in years, until Mac forced Foley.

Will Grier is a huge issue for this years class. We had a ton of momentum until he f'd us. His transfer even furthered the slide. Harris just wasn't equipped to carry us to the end. Without a known QB, it's hard for recruits to buy in. Couple that with our staff's recruiting, and we were doomed.

So lots of factors that I see. I do think Mac can coach up what he's got and possibly win the East again. I see 2017 as a better recruiting class. We already have a top QB who is a recruiter, and Callahan at minimum is gone.

More importantly, where do you see the trajectory of the program? And where do you see where things went wrong?

TheBigClaw

Founding Member
Proud to be a Gator
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Too me, the point where we began our downward trend was when Brantley was starter and was forced to play in the Meyer offense as well as Newton transferring. Then obviously Muschamp pushed us from hanging from a twig at the mountain top to the deep abyss. Imo we are slowly climbing back up that mountain but it's taking time

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Sorry but that's too long to read. We lost a couple of guys, but gained Cleveland. I think WR is a bigger need, so TC was a more important recruit IMHO. Mild disappointment at the finish but overall a really good class, with some potential sleepers. I think Mac will coach em up good. And yes, I'm a pumper.

Go Gators!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Too me, the point where we began our downward trend was when Brantley was starter and was forced to play in the Meyer offense as well as Newton transferring. Then obviously Muschamp pushed us from hanging from a twig at the mountain top to the deep abyss. Imo we are slowly climbing back up that mountain but it's taking time

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
And the same mistake was made with Driskel over Brissett for a pro style offense. Many of the posters called that at the time.

I Have No Friends :(

Founding Member
Gator Bait! It's only racist to dumb Fuchs
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
More importantly, where do you see the trajectory of the program?

Offense and special teams are trending upwards and defense is trending downwards. There's still time to reverse the defense, but the '17 class is critical in this regard. Really needed a DT and top-flight LB in this class, but we whiffed. CB is a concern now if Tabor and Wilson leave after next season.

And where do you see where things went wrong?

We wasted money paying heart attack "Jesus told me to spend time with my familiy" faker for an extra year only to bring in someone much worse, and then paid through the nose to fire the idiot one year too late. Also, would it hurt to hire assistants who aren't on the shelf at Goodwill? Just wondering.

EyeDocGator

Politically Incorrect
Lifetime Member
Oct 26, 2015
Thanks for the evaluation. We keep saying our coaches aren't recruiting well, but with our dumpster fire second half of the season I don't know that anyone could have recruited an elite class. We met most of our needs. We will still be rebuilding for the next year or two. If we look better on the field next year we will recruit better. Our trajectory is up, but we're not ascending quite as rapidly as we'd like.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
It's a small miracle that we had such a nose dive offensively, yet signed what is probably the best WR class we've had in the last 8 to 10 years. FIVE 4* WR's and Cleveland is probably the highest caliber we've signed since the days I was shouting "Mercy Percy" as Harvin was taking one to the house. How we signed these five guys with the atrocious QB we've had lately is beyond me. I guess they saw enough with Grier to know what the offense "can" look like...

(A) They must be convinced one of our transfer QB's can get it done. (B) They must believe in 4* Franks. (C) I'm sure Calloway's production helped sell them on what could be done.

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
A rotten QB spoils the whole barrel.
I think it had a lot to due with things. The QB position has been poor for a while, and the Grier situation was just f'd up.

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
It's a small miracle that we had such a nose dive offensively, yet signed what is probably the best WR class we've had in the last 8 to 10 years. FIVE 4* WR's and Cleveland is probably the highest caliber we've signed since the days I was shouting "Mercy Percy" as Harvin was taking one to the house. How we signed these five guys with the atrocious QB we've had lately is beyond me. I guess they saw enough with Grier to know what the offense "can" look like...

(A) They must be convinced one of our transfer QB's can get it done. (B) They must believe in 4* Franks. (C) I'm sure Calloway's production helped sell them on what could be done.
I think they all grew up UF fans too.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I'll be objective. Mac won ten games and made the SEC title game. That is awesome. However, we did not compete much of the last few games. The team was listless and uninspired. I really think he miscalculated the importance of having a functional offense. He refused to change for the sake of "long term growth". His garbage offense affected our recruiting. FSU kicked his ass on and off the field. He may need to re-evaluate a lot of things. I think there will be many people on this board disappointed next year. The defense will be taking a major step back and it will show.

My major concern is that we aren't catching up to the Jones'. We are falling further behind. We needed to go 6/6 on 4th down to come back vs UT at home. Mac better have a top 3 class next year or forgettaboutit. He's toast. If you can't recruit in the SEC and the state of FL you are done. We've recruited the most 3 stars in a two year period EVER under him. That should scare the crap out of everybody. Through attrition and injuries those guys will see the field. Bet on it. Not good when you don't have the horses.

Mac needs to get his **** together and fast.

Last edited:

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I'll be objective. Mac won ten games and made the SEC title game. That is awesome.
However, we did not compete much of the last few games. The team was listless and uninspired. I really think he miscalculated the importance of having a functional offense. He refused to change for the sake of "long term growth". His garbage offense affected our recruiting. FSU kicked his ass on and off the field. He may need to re-evaluate a lot of things. I think there will be many people on this board disappointed next year. The defense will be taking a major step back and it will show.

My major concern is that we aren't catching up to the Jones'. We are falling further behind. We needed to go 6/6 on 4th down to come back vs UT at home. Mac better have a top 3 class next year or forgettaboutit. He's toast. If you can't recruit in the SEC and the state of FL you are done. We've recruited the most 3 stars in a two year period EVER under him. That should scare the crap out of everybody. Through attrition and injuries those guys will see the field. Bet on it. Not good when you don't have the horses.

Mac needs to get his **** together and fast.

Nice to see you remained objective.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
T. rex might be negative but there isn't much in that post that isn't documented fact. 10 wins, last part of season was really ugly, ass kicked on and off field by fsu, most 3 stars in 2 year period ever. Those are all facts. Only thing that was opinion was how 3 stars at starting positions will pan out in the next year or two.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
T. rex might be negative but there isn't much in that post that isn't documented fact. 10 wins, last part of season was really ugly, ass kicked on and off field by fsu, most 3 stars in 2 year period ever. Those are all facts. Only thing that was opinion was how 3 stars at starting positions will pan out in the next year or two.

Not disputing that. It's that he is a broken record. He says the same thing over and over and over again in every thread he shows up in.

It made me laugh because he started with his, "I'm gonna be objective" statement, wrote like one sentence that was somewhat positive and THEN started his two paragraphs of his suck mantra. That's just funny. There was no attempt of objectivity. It was let me start by saying something nice, so as to set up his argument for what he REALLY wanted to say.

That's not objectivity. It's setting the stage for your argument.

gatorjohn

Founding Member
Rev
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
The downhill started the day Cam attempted (and missed) throwing a laptop in a dumpster. We would have 1 or 2 more nattys and still be going.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Its hard to say we're trending upward after how bad signing day went and how bad we ended the season. It's going to take some serious shake ups within the staff and an offense thats fun to watch to catch up with our rivals from a talent standpoint.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Well at least we've grown accustomed to sucking and being disappointed. Won't be much of an adjustment if that trend continues.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014

Add worst bowl loss in program history. And it had to be to the program with the other high profile hire, only they opened the purse wide and paid whatever it would take to get their guy.

The worst 10 win season in program history could actually be a bit of a curse for Mac. On the one hand he has to win at least 10 again to not look like he's regressing, and on the other, it was such a crap-fest ending, repeating it would with a similar finish would actually have folks feeling uneasy. 9 wins but with a win over FSU and a bowl win would have been a much better start for him and the fans honestly.

southerngrilling

Dec 5, 2015
The slide began when Meyers gimmick offense was solved by Saban. No Meyer did not recruit well at the end but starting Brantley over cam newton was just stupid. The whole theft thing should have been swept under the rug. If cam would have stayed we would have won another national title and recruiting may not have dropped off. So yes Grier f us. But Brantley staring f us more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator