I guess I'm just an analog car guy

Gator-Don

The Master of Sparks and Fire
Lifetime Member
Jun 1, 2016
I had a slight fender bender a couple of weeks ago my classic 66,000 mile 1989 Mercedes 560SEL I was not at fault. Hertz only had a Tesla S, So after finding five charging stations that were all full, or offline I drove it home, parked it and brought it back after seven days. It was only 50% charged when I got it.

I could not stand the thing. I felt like I was driving in an egg shell with a 3,000 pond battery under it. The throttle is both the way you brake, and accelerate. There is a brake pedal that will throw you through the wind shield if you press it very hard. The driving experience was awful for someone new to the techniques of the the thing.
My car has a Ralf Nader 15 mph bumper, which suffered superficial damage on a corner of the bumper, while the Cadillac was not so lucky.

It felt really good to pick up my car from the shop and drive a real car. I know the Tesla's are fast, but my car will hit 150 if I want, just not near as quickly.

It's all the rage to replace the longer American version with the shorter European ones, and they do LOOK better, but my car would not have faired as well had I modified it that way.

I'm very anti-Nader, but this was, in this case, a good thing. I also think they make terrible rent a cars.

Last edited:

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I doubt your 560 could hit 150.

Gator-Don

Lifetime Member
Jun 1, 2016
I doubt your 560 could hit 150.
I admit that MY 560 hasn't done but 135 cause I don't treat it that way, however I have done 148 in my company owned one between Nuremburg and Erlangen back in 1986. It takes a awhile but it will roll. It also felt like I was doing 80. Quiet and smooth.

It was my first opportunity to drive a fast car on the Auto Bahn. I was pulled over by a Police car??? for my speed because I weas in a LOW EMMISION ZONE!
I told him I had dreamed about this since I was a kid - and he let me go. He said in 80 km I could cut it loose again.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I admit that MY 560 hasn't done but 135 cause I don't treat it that way, however I have done 148 in my company owned one between Nuremburg and Erlangen back in 1986. It takes a awhile but it will roll. It also felt like I was doing 80. Quiet and smooth.
So many "what if's" cross your mind(or atleast mine anyway) when deciding to push a car that fast...maybe a deer decides to cross the road or another driver decides to change lanes....I've done it in my Shelby but felt sick to the stomach for days after doing it( I would also like to mention I was in Mexico when I did it:whistle:) The funny thing was I let out after putting it in 5th gear at almost 160mph and it's a 6 speed tranny so it was still pulling like a freight train.....

I have much more fun just doing rolling burnouts at 40-80mph in 2nd & 3rd gear these days and getting out of it before I hit jail time speed...

For anyone interested in seeing what the autobahn at high speeds is like in my next(hopefuuly very soon)ride here is a video up to 190mph.
Just skip to about the 11.00 minute mark for the high speed autobahn shots...

Gator-Don

Lifetime Member
Jun 1, 2016
What a great looking machine. I had a friend who had a Shelby the first year they came out. We had some great times tearing about in it. Yours is a master piece.

All I can say is DRILL BABY Drill...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.