If Bama goes to the playoff AGAIN after sitting out the SECCG.....

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
This is really very easy. The committee should rank the P5 champs. #4 and #5 play in mid Dec. Winner of that game plays #1 on New Years. 2 and 3 also play on New Years. Title game a week or ten days later. Completely settled on the field.

Until there is more parity, I don’t think that will ever happen. The SEC and B10 won’t stand by with a second legit contender who came up slightly short while a 4 loss WashSt or GTech get in. And from an economics standpoint, they’d be playing a game with 19,000 people in the stands and nobody watching during those years because no one wants to see that bloodbath. The automatic qualifier sounds great in theory, but in practice may be a worse idea than going to 6 or 8.

That’s why it can’t get any bigger than 4. It will just water things down so much. In 2001, we’re sitting in the Citrus Bowl while Lsu and Maryland are playing for a spot in the NC game. In 2009, we’re in the Outback Bowl while GTech and Iowa duke it out for a chance at immortality.

It just wouldn’t work.

YLGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 14, 2016
Until there is more parity, I don’t think that will ever happen. The SEC and B10 won’t stand by with a second legit contender who came up slightly short while a 4 loss WashSt or GTech get in. And from an economics standpoint, they’d be playing a game with 19,000 people in the stands and nobody watching during those years because no one wants to see that bloodbath. The automatic qualifier sounds great in theory, but in practice may be a worse idea than going to 6 or 8.

That’s why it can’t get any bigger than 4. It will just water things down so much. In 2001, we’re sitting in the Citrus Bowl while Lsu and Maryland are playing for a spot in the NC game. In 2009, we’re in the Outback Bowl while GTech and Iowa duke it out for a chance at immortality.

It just wouldn’t work.
Oh, I get it. My guess is the only reason there isn’t a conference champ requirement is because the SEC and Big 10 want to
make sure one of their teams that failed during the season can get a second chance. I’d prefer your GA Tech or Maryland scenario to that, but realize that’s just not where the money is.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The eligible teams would get ranked the same way they are now. The top 4 get in.
I would allow any undefeated or 1 loss conference champ only to "qualify". Then Id arrange the games. Only 3 teams qualify, then #1 gets a bye week. Five teams, 4 and 5 play a playin game.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
so the committee picks 3 teams to get a bye? I'd think that's a huge advantage
The advantage of playing the tougher schedule and getting ranked #1.

Id probably also let the first round of the playoffs at home fornthe higher ranked teams, so there arent two Sugar Bowls etc.

I dont want a three or four loss conf champion getting in either, that isnwhynthe teams have to qualify with both a conference crown and losses.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I'm sure all the teams can get ranked with some sort of thing like they do with basketball to create a RPI or some such that takes into account not only their record but the strength of the teams they play, etc. Then it doesn't matter what conference you are from, you take the 4 highest ranked conference champs. You get a year when the Big 12 conference champ is a 3 loss team ranked 20th in the nation, then the champion of a smaller conference gets the nod if their RPI is high enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator