If Bama goes to the playoff AGAIN after sitting out the SECCG.....

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Four, same format as now.

88drgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
I don't buy the "conference championship as a criterion" argument. Conferences are not equal in any given season or across seasons. The fourth best team in a conference could be better than a conference champ in another.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I don’t care if the 10 best teams in the country are in the SEC, only one SEC team should be eligible for the playoff.
But but but if a good team wants to slime their way into the playoff without winning their conference how is that supposed to work with such a hard and fast rule?

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I don’t care if the 10 best teams in the country are in the SEC, only one SEC team should be eligible for the playoff.

I agree. It’s a dangerous thing to automatically assume one conference is indeed that much better than the rest. Look how close we were to being left out in 2006 because the B10 was thought to be just so superior. That pendulum can and will swing back at some point. At most, every conference should have 1 representative.

And I do think you should have to be a conference champ, but with some rare exceptions. If we found our way into Atlanta at 9-3, but somehow beat a one loss LSU, then I may be ok with a team like Alabama getting in, assuming they were right in the cusp anyway. Otherwise, no.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I don't buy the "conference championship as a criterion" argument. Conferences are not equal in any given season or across seasons. The fourth best team in a conference could be better than a conference champ in another.
So f'n what!

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
So if we’re doing the hypothetical game, as in “Healthy and no rust Tua, Bama likely wins” game, wouldn’t the same rule apply for our game vs LSU? Healthy Greenard and Zuniga and maybe the defense doesn’t shyt the bed for four quarters?

You could do this same hypothetical game for a bunch of games this year. Hell, could’ve done it last year for our game against UGay. What it CJ doesn’t go down early in that game? Does the pass defense improve enough for us to win? Then do we beat Mizzou the next week because of no UGay loss hangover?

The point I’m making is that Bama got one shot at LSU, and LSU had one shot at Bama. Injuries are part of the game, like it or not, and that’s just the way it is.

Tua’s play in the first half of that game had no effect on Bama’s defense being unable to stop Burrow and LSU’s offense. Sure, they played better in the second half, but they couldn’t make stops late when they mattered most with the game on the line.
and? bama is likely one of the best 4 teams in the country regardless of whether they go undefeated or had 1 loss to another of the top 4.

what's funny is you and others will make this argument, but then do the exact opposite when it comes to the gators in order to argue how good they are. "yea we lost, but only to two of the top 4 teams in that nation!!!!" :tard:

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I don't really care. I'll just continue to say there is a certain mindset that persists regarding the current staff and I really think perspective is skewed.
I dont either. I keep making that point and saying its only my opinion, but you keep arguing the opposite. It's basically pointless. Im not trying to change your mind and would be shocked if it happened. Not sure why you keep trying to change mine; it's also not going to happen. :lol:

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
and? bama is likely one of the best 4 teams in the country regardless of whether they go undefeated or had 1 loss to another of the top 4.

what's funny is you and others will make this argument, but then do the exact opposite when it comes to the gators in order to argue how good they are. "yea we lost, but only to two of the top 4 teams in that nation!!!!" :tard:
And you’re doing the same thing to argue how good Bama is, when they never had a lead in the game. What’s the difference?

OllieGator

Founding Member
Member....huh, huh, huh
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I don't get why this has to be so subjective. Conference champions just like in the NFL, then there are no questions. Can't win your conference, don't deserve to be in the dance.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I don't get why this has to be so subjective. Conference champions just like in the NFL, then there are no questions. Can't win your conference, don't deserve to be in the dance.
Ollie makes a good point. There was one year that a 7-9 division champion got a home playoff game, while a team with 10+ wins in another division had to miss the playoffs. It’s not about who’s the best.

YLGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 14, 2016
That just seems to bring more subjectivity.
This is really very easy. The committee should rank the P5 champs. #4 and #5 play in mid Dec. Winner of that game plays #1 on New Years. 2 and 3 also play on New Years. Title game a week or ten days later. Completely settled on the field.

Oscar the G

Nov 7, 2018
This is really very easy. The committee should rank the P5 champs. #4 and #5 play in mid Dec. Winner of that game plays #1 on New Years. 2 and 3 also play on New Years. Title game a week or ten days later. Completely settled on the field.
so the committee picks 3 teams to get a bye? I'd think that's a huge advantage

YLGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 14, 2016
so the committee picks 3 teams to get a bye? I'd think that's a huge advantage
A lot better than being left out. 4 and 5 will definitely have a loss and a weaker schedule. If you want to be in the top 3, go undefeated and play a decent schedule. If you don’t do that, you get an extra game against a good team. Way better than putting some media darling in that didn’t get the job done when it mattered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.