If Durkin accepts another job would Mac coach the bowl game?

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Concrete Helmet;n132432 said:
Good points Navet. I know he couldn't install an entire offensive game plan. I would like to see him coach though. One other thing I would like to point out though regarding offense. I'm not sure about Mac's system but I've heard that Malzahn's offense is basically 6 plays....The rest is just options off of those plays. If we couldn't install 5 or 6 plays in 3 weeks then we need smarter players...

Helmet, our players would revolt if Mac told them they had to learn a completely new offense by bowl time. 5-6 plays with multiple options is still probably equivalent to 20+ new plays to learn. No way he would even attempt that. IF, and that's a big IF Durkin takes a job elsewhere prior to the bowl game, Mac will probably turn the reigns over to Roper for the bowl game. I think for continuity's sake he would prefer to let the existing coaches just go with what the players already know and game plan around that. He may or may not decide to be with them on the sidelines for support and critical calls, but I really wouldn't expect to see anything new. There just isn't time for it.

My only point was it would be completely appropriate for him to be on the sidelines if Durkin bolts before the bowl game. But expecting him to install his offense or any part of it within the short amount of time left is far fetched imo.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
NavetG8r;n132446 said:
Helmet, our players would revolt if Mac told them they had to learn a completely new offense by bowl time. 5-6 plays with multiple options is still probably equivalent to 20+ new plays to learn. No way he would even attempt that. IF, and that's a big IF Durkin takes a job elsewhere prior to the bowl game, Mac will probably turn the reigns over to Roper for the bowl game. I think for continuity's sake he would prefer to let the existing coaches just go with what the players already know and game plan around that. He may or may not decide to be with them on the sidelines for support and critical calls, but I really wouldn't expect to see anything new. There just isn't time for it.

My only point was it would be completely appropriate for him to be on the sidelines if Durkin bolts before the bowl game. But expecting him to install his offense or any part of it within the short amount of time left is far fetched imo.

Again I never said he could, would or should. I do think some are over complicating the matter though. What happens when coaches and players have all star games? They still run a offense often with less than a week or 2 of practice. Maybe they could show different formations or add a base play or 2 from studying the opponents film. Remember that is usually the smallest of things that make the biggest difference.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I actually agree with Helmet. But I want to see what Mac is really made of. All football related staff should have that day off and he should be the only coach on the sidelines. And he should also be the only trainer and tend to all injuries. I want to see him running water out to the refs during the commercials. I want to see him wiping down the game balls, filling up the Gatoraid cups, holding up those giant goofy boards with the plays on them. Hell... I want to see him in an Albert costume!

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
bradgator2;n132478 said:
I actually agree with Helmet. But I want to see what Mac is really made of. All football related staff should have that day off and he should be the only coach on the sidelines. And he should also be the only trainer and tend to all injuries. I want to see him running water out to the refs during the commercials. I want to see him wiping down the game balls, filling up the Gatoraid cups, holding up those giant goofy boards with the plays on them. Hell... I want to see him in an Albert costume!

You forgot selling popcorn:popcorn:

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
You do know they would replace that concrete helmet with a plate right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.