Founding Member
Is Bama flying into Atlanta?

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Honestly, I would be ecstatic. It would immediately give us a monastery boost on the recruiting trail.

Sadly, I have a better chance of winning the lottery...and I don't play.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Honestly, I would be ecstatic. It would immediately give us a monastery boost on the recruiting trail.

Sadly, I have a better chance of winning the lottery...and I don't play.
That's just disingenuous. But if you played, you would have a better chance of winning than UF this weekend.

Lake Gator

SUBMARINERS GO DEEPER
Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
Wouldn't change my opinion one iota. See article below about shocking the world.

By Norm Carlson

Florida vs. Alabama in the 1990s had been for championships. Decades ago contests between these two schools were only part of a process to determine whether the Tide would win the SEC crown, and possibly a national title as well.

In 1963 one of the most famous wins in Gator history took place on October 12 in Tuscaloosa, and it derailed the Alabama championship express for at least one season. Head Coach Ray Graves' team produced an improbable victory over the unbeaten and third-ranked team in the nation, and it is still fondly remembered as one of the biggest wins in UF history.

The victory set off celebrations all over Gainesville. There was a crowd estimated at over 8,000 at the airport to greet the team, whose charter flight had to buzz the airport to chase some unruly fans off the edge of the runway. There was a bonfire on 13th and University, and some of the wood came from furniture out of the SAE and Pike fraternity houses on the two corners which now house the Holiday Inn and a gas station.

It was that big.

The week before that contest the Gators had edged Richmond at Florida Field, 35-28, with the Spiders pitching passes at the Florida end zone in the game's closing seconds. At a social that evening, Gator assistant coach Ottis Mooney proclaimed that the Florida team was “the New York Mets of the SEC.”

That was no compliment. Those were the Met teams of “Marvelous Marv” Throneberry. They had trouble catching a fly ball.

Alabama had Joe Namath at quarterback. They had the nation's best defense. Most of all, they were the Crimson Tide and Paul (Bear) Bryant was the head coach. He had never coached a team which lost in Tuscaloosa and it was Homecoming.

Gator assistant head coach and defensive coordinator Gene Ellenson devised an excellent game plan designed to stop Namath, and the players executed it perfectly. It was a Florida team that head coach Ray Graves and his staff guided through a great week of preparation as emotion built to the kickoff.

After the pre-game dressing room talk, lineman Jack Katz smashed his helmeted-head through a blackboard and the team took the field. Coverage of the opening kickoff was so sound that the receiver, Benny Nelson, was tackled on the Alabama five-yard line. It was three-and-out for the Tide and they punted it to their 40. Bruce Bennett's punt return put the ball on the 25.

Bob (Grubby) Lyle kicked a 42-yard field goal for a 3-0 lead. The first big stop came moments later when Alabama was at the Gator 34. Namath ran for nine yards on first down. Ellenson thought the Tide would go for a “home run” and played defense for the pass, forcing Namath to overthrow the receiver in the end zone. On third down linebacker Jimmy Morgan hit Mike Fracchia for a one-yard loss. On fourth-and-two several Gator defenders hit Nelson behind the line and he fumbled.

Florida was stopped at the Alabama two and eight on a pair of drives. They got the clinching score in the final quarter on a 75-yard drive with three key plays. Larry Dupree ran for 17. Quarterback Tommy Shannon threw and 18-yard pass to tight end Barry Brown, who made a great diving grab.

Then Dick Kirk cut off tackle, got a big block from end Charlie Casey and went 42 yards for the touchdown to make it 10-0. Alabama came back to score, missed a two-point play and the final score was 10-6.

Gator players carried Coach Graves off the field after the game. Joe Namath came by the team bus to congratulate the Florida players.

It was a game to remember for a lifetime if you're a Gator.

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
If Mac can out scheme saban during a season where his team is being considered the greatest of all time for the SEC championship with like 12 starters out and one of the ten worst offenses in football, yeah. Yeah my perception would change a bit

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Well I think most of us are certain that Alabama wipes the floor with the Gators on Saturday....BUT what if the Gators pull one of the best miracles in recent Gators history by beating Alabama and shocking the world...would your outlook change on the team and Coach Mac?

Interested to hear your thoughts....

Not really, I sort of think UF may well win this game. I do not think UAL is very good this year. It is a down year in the SEC.

It would certainly help McElwain to win the SEC this year. It would not change my view that McElwain:

1. has not done what he was hired to do, put a legit offense on the field.

2. continually fails have his team ready to play often for little teams UF keeps in the game into the 4th quarter, but sometime against a UAR team UF should beat.

3. seems to think he was hired to be a Saban like PR disaster.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
There's a better chance that Zambo sucks another D than win the SEC

:britney:

Lol....ok but what if?

We get the CFP trophy right then and there, as we'll have beaten the best there is and there is no way in hell we could do it in another 2 games against anyone.

Oh, and we get the "Champions of LIFE" trophy from Vandy as a doorstop to the men's room.

EyeDocGator

Politically Incorrect
Lifetime Member
Oct 26, 2015
If Mac can out scheme saban during a season where his team is being considered the greatest of all time for the SEC championship with like 12 starters out and one of the ten worst offenses in football, yeah. Yeah my perception would change a bit

Mac can't out scheme anyone. If we win, it's because Bama choked.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Pretty hard to fire assistants after winning the SECCG. Prolly draw a tougher opponent in the bowl game and have to pull off a miracle twice. What am saying is we are damned if we do and damned if we don't.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I'll post a nudie in the paid members forum.
Ummmmmmm. :ugh:

alma.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.