If Mac gets fired next year who would you hire?

Fun N' Stun

Nov 15, 2014
Or fired this year (unlikely this year). Who would you go after?

My choices are:

*Tom Herman: grandslam hire

(if he doesn't bolt for an elite job like Texas or lsu this year)... Which is unlikely as Texas will probably fire strong and get Herman after the season ends. He beats the likes of fsu, OU, etc with Houston talent. Imagine what he would do at UF.

*Chip kelly: grandslam hire

I'd keep an eye out on chip kelly. If he does poorly this year and next he could get fired or leave the 49ers. No other nfl team would hire him as head coach and he would come back to college. Grandslam hire. Imagine Kelly with Florida talent and a top DC. Am drooling thinking about it.

*Chris Petersen: grandslam hire

I wanted him the last 2 times we were head coach searching. I think he would leave Washington and come here if we throw enough money at him. Most realistic candidate on my list. He built Boise into a power first as OC then as HC and now has Washington undefeated and ranked 9th. Destroyed a very good highly ranked Stanford team last night. Would kill it here.

*Bobby Petrino : grandslam hire

Don't care about what anyone thinks about him. Just want to win. I wanted him the last 2 times we were head coach searching. He won 11 games at Arkansas in his final season and killed fsu 63-20 with UL talent. He would be unstoppable at UF. The only negative is his huge buyout. I wonder if it decreases after this season. He had never had the luxury of coaching at an elite program and consistently getting elite talent.

Art briles : grandslam hire

Like Petrino above I just want to win... But this one is very unlikely, but like the others on this list he would kill it here. Only hope is that the new AD is Mississippi football crazy and doesn't care about character over championships like foley did.

Hugh freeze: very good hire

*would do great here. Great recruiter, historic success at ole miss, exciting offense, is the saban destroyer. But with the ncaa stuff I'd say this is unlikely but you never know.

Gary Patterson : very good hire

*see above hugh freeze discussion (except without ncaa stuff and there is a better chance of hiring him).

*Bob Stoops: good hire

Not anywhere as excited with him as the above names. Would probably have a couple more names above him as well. He would do very well here. His teams do underachieve at times. But he is a very good coach and the state of Oklahoma has no talent and these days with the rise of the other Texas schools it has cut off Texas talent for Oklahoma which is what Stoops used to make OU dominant in the first place. Exciting offense and can and has beat saban. OU is an overrated has been program that was dead until Stoops arrived. Would be a great recruiter here.

There are other names further down the list that I may or may not be very excited about like Mike Gundy etc plus young up and comers (but I want proven not unproven). I'm sure I'm forgetting some other choices hire up on the list as well.

Last search I wanted dabo as well and a lot of Gator fans were opposed to it. Sadly with his success at Clemson that ship has sailed.

Kyng

Founding Member
The Freak
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2014
Founding Member
Bill belichick for head coach. Nick Saban DC, Chip Kelly OC

gooneygoogoo

Dec 3, 2015
Why doesn't Dabo Swinney ever get mentioned. Is he firmly entrenched or is there something about him people don't like? I don't watch Clemson much but he seems like a likeable young guy who recruits well...maybe I'm missing something.

Gator98MD

Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2014
Don't think Dabos super southern schitck would work in yankee Florida

Fun N' Stun

Nov 15, 2014
Why doesn't Dabo Swinney ever get mentioned. Is he firmly entrenched or is there something about him people don't like? I don't watch Clemson much but he seems like a likeable young guy who recruits well...maybe I'm missing something.
I would love a dabo hire. I'd go after him. Not sure he would come here but uf is clearly superior to Clemson.

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
Tom Herman: Going to be too late to get him

Chip Kelly: Not leaving the NFL for a few yrs

Chris Petersen: Possible

Bobby Petrino: Possible for crazy money

Art Briles: Shouldn't be considered

Hugh Freeze: Might get Ole Miss to have football team stripped from existence. Why on Earth would you want him now?

Gary Patterson: Maybe, but a lot of questions about his team/coaching

Bob Stoops: Possible

Fun N' Stun

Nov 15, 2014
Well apparently the 10 million dollar Petrino buyout is only good for the first 4 years. So if Mac gets fired next season that big buyout is no more unless Petrino signs a new deal this year with another big buyout, which I don't see happening .

Gator98MD

Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2014
The reason I ask is here at Florida, losing one game gets a firethecoach website.
Dan, serious question. What part of what you've seen in the past 1.5 years give you optimism for program turning around. Consider the holes this roster has and that they are not being addressed in recruiting which is a programs lifeblood. Help me to understand

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Didn't we have this thread last week? And Mac isn't getting fired this year. Less than zero chance.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Dan, serious question. What part of what you've seen in the past 1.5 years give you optimism for program turning around. Consider the holes this roster has and that they are not being addressed in recruiting which is a programs lifeblood. Help me to understand

Go thru and read my posts from the last few days. I have said several times THERE IS NO EXCUSE FOR THE PRODUCT WE SEE ON THE FIELD. It sucks. Still doesnt change what I said above.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Didn't we have this thread last week? And Mac isn't getting fired this year. Less than zero chance.
Less-Than-Zero.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.