If Muschamp had never been fired, where would our program be?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You'd make a wonderful manager.

Folks, here's what you can't do on the job. Don't ask what you should do.
We've been over this a thousand times. Settling on known bad coaches is never the answer.

It is just lazy.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
We've been over this a thousand times. Settling on known bad coaches is never the answer.

It is just lazy.
Anticipating only your next chess move isn't any better. We could be stuck with an interperm for years while we wait for the supposed right guy.

JDW

Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
The problem was Strong wasn’t given a shot to interview for the job and bolted after Meyer left to Louisville imagine where we’d be with a competent coach like that

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
The problem was Strong wasn’t given a shot to interview for the job and bolted after Meyer left to Louisville imagine where we’d be with a competent coach like that

I love Strong and I would take him back in a heartbeat...just not as the HC. I don't believe he is a championship coach either....but I really do like him.

JDW

Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
He’s a great coach and awesome recruiter look at who he pulled in on defense for Meyer...but the fact is he’s been a smaller tier coach but that being said...if given the opportunity I think would def be better than taggart or Richt with our resources and could at least win the state in recruiting and competence on the field

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
If you told me the only two options were Strong and Mullinz there is a zero percent chance I take Mullinz.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
I’m not sure Strong is an elite coach but he is probably the only one on these lists who would have taken the job. Elite coaches are not clamoring to coach here.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Strong might not be a championship coach, but after four years of Strong we would have a disciplined team that represented UF well, a stocked defense and our winning tradition would be back. He could even get lucky with an OC and who knows?

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Strong might not be a championship coach, but after four years of Strong we would have a disciplined team that represented UF well, a stocked defense and our winning tradition would be back. He could even get lucky with an OC and who knows?

I completely agree but I think the coaches fraternity suspects that would amount to being ridden out of town as a failure. As you can see DM hasn’t even coached a game yet and we are already reviewing contracts and calculating buyouts. Coaches...rightly or wrongly...seem to view this opportunity as you must win NC’s every year to satisfy the base. Obviously I think that is not really accurate but I do believe any coach who does not win the SEC every year will be on a hot seat.

5-Star Finger

Apex predator of the political forum biome
Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017
Just askin'. Would it be better or worse?

giphy.gif

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Anticipating only your next chess move isn't any better. We could be stuck with an interperm for years while we wait for the supposed right guy.
we've had terrible interperms since 2009

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
I completely agree but I think the coaches fraternity suspects that would amount to being ridden out of town as a failure. As you can see DM hasn’t even coached a game yet and we are already reviewing contracts and calculating buyouts. Coaches...rightly or wrongly...seem to view this opportunity as you must win NC’s every year to satisfy the base. Obviously I think that is not really accurate but I do believe any coach who does not win the SEC every year will be on a hot seat.

Sorry but you are completely wrong in both points you make:

1. Sure on this board there is a lot of skepticism about Mullen. No place else in the Gator fandom is that true. Most fans think UF got a guy who punched above MSU's weight and will do really well at UF.

2. The coaching fraternity which is another word for the mediocre mass knows UF is a tough and demanding job. This is not much different than UAL in 2006. From the 1997 season through the 2006 season UAL was even more mediocre than UF in this lost decade:

Alabama Crimson Tide Football Record By Year | College Football at Sports-Reference.com

They had 4 non-winning seasons. They had 4 coaches, 3 that coached an actual game. I do not remember any coach anyone wanted to hire running from the job. I am sure the "coaching fraternity" knew is was a tough job still and I bet some of the mediocre mass did not want the job, but the guys you want always want such a job.

Last edited:

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
You think I’m wrong...I think you’re wrong. That’s how it goes sometimes.

I personally don’t know a single Gator fan...including myself...who was praying we would land Mullen. I don’t know a single Gator fan who did back flips upon the announcement of DM. I count myself among the fans who are approaching DM and the upcoming season as optimistically as we can. That’s a long ride from believing we got “the man”.

Elite coaches have avoided UF for a long time. This past year two of the hottest commodities said no thanks. Nobody is pursuing the job. Were it not for Machen coming to UF we would have absolutely, positively not landed Urban. We have had to rummage down a tier or two to get coaches who would never say no.

Either DM gets it done or we have to hope he at least gets us back to respectability enough so that the next young gunslinger sees the opportunity. A Scott Frost type will need to come along and not buy into the perceived negativity as it does not appear that championship level coaches have much if any desire to coach here.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
He’s a great coach and awesome recruiter look at who he pulled in on defense for Meyer...but the fact is he’s been a smaller tier coach but that being said...if given the opportunity I think would def be better than taggart or Richt with our resources and could at least win the state in recruiting and competence on the field
oh give me a break. By that logic Mullen pulled in tebow and harvin. Meyer got those kids just like he did everywhere else he's been. Talk to me about all the studs that strong and Mullen have pulled in after Meyer. Short convo. Get off his nuts, he already completely destroyed a national program that literally has more money than God and unlike us, actually has zero issue spending it on football.

JDW

Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
Ok then...apparently you can’t say anything positive about any subject (Good to know)

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator