Internet Service: What speed, from who, and what do you pay? Any tricks?

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I hate Comcast and I am always looking for alternate sources for ISP. My primary service is in Tallahassee and the city has granted Comcast a monopolistic franchise. My only copper alternative is crappy Century Link at 3 Mbps which just won't stream HD. I have ATT cell but their data rates are exorbitant compared to cable.
I have Comcast Internet Plus which is local stations, HBO, Streampix, and 25 Mbps....I really only want the Internet access but Comcast makes it cheaper to bundle it this way. It started out at $39.99/ month for one year plus $10.00 gateway/modem rental plus tax for about $54.00/month the first year. It is now $83.00/month starting year 3 for the same crappy speed.....

Any good suggestions or comparisons?

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I have the crappy Century Link 3Mbps. I fuking hate it. Hate.

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I have Comcrap in Jacksonville (50m+) and Windstream DSL 3m in the country but it is on the end of the line and can give me 1m or less. Truth be told I have less trouble streaming on the slow DSL than the speedy cable internet. I would like to be able to give Comcast the boot.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I have Comcrap in Jacksonville (50m+) and Windstream DSL 3m in the country but it is on the end of the line and can give me 1m or less. Truth be told I have less trouble streaming on the slow DSL than the speedy cable internet. I would like to be able to give Comcast the boot.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Who is your DSL provider in Jax and what is their speed?

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Phone lines are DSL and can approach 25 m which is like 100 m Comcast due to different tech.

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
We had Uverse for two years and just went back to Comcast. As the contract runs out the cost skyrockets. Everything is bundled to include a landline. Momma refuses to get rid of that line cause that phone number has been attached to this address since the mid 60s. The only people that call it are telemarketers and the Florida Police Chiefs Assoc so I do get some comic relief fukking with them. Used to have problems with both because all cables come in overhead and they are at the mercy of winds, limbs, and squirrels. With Comcast, you have to call Punjab in Bombay and between my horrible hearing and their thick British accent I never could get repair directions and always had to wait a week for the service man. Whether it's AT&T or Comcast the problem always seems to get resolved after they replace the dvr. Fingers crossed, our time with Comcast this time hasnt been too bad as far as service goes, no interruptions.

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
We had Uverse for two years and just went back to Comcast. As the contract runs out the cost skyrockets. Everything is bundled to include a landline. Momma refuses to get rid of that line cause that phone number has been attached to this address since the mid 60s. The only people that call it are telemarketers and the Florida Police Chiefs Assoc so I do get becausesome comic relief fukking with them. Used to have problems with both because all cables come in overhead and they are at the mercy of winds, limbs, and squirrels. With Comcast, you have to call Punjab in Bombay and between my horrible hearing and their thick British accent I never could get repair directions and always had to wait a week for the service man. Whether it's AT&T or Comcast the problem always seems to get resolved after they replace the dvr. Fingers crossed, our time with Comcast this time hasnt been too bad as far as service goes, no interruptions.
yeah , I want internet in Jax for streaming

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
You can stream over ATT landline if you're close enough to a sub station
That's the problem I'm having in the country, max distance is 18000 ft(3.4miles) without a repeater. In Jax that shouldn't be a problem but they do have a data cap.

Kyng

Founding Member
The Freak
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2014
Founding Member
Also get every channel, except PPV channels. 180$ a month.

5448503114.png

pilot-in-fla

Deplorable
Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2015
I have the crappy Century Link 3Mbps. I fuking hate it. Hate.

I have the crappy CenturyLink 6Mbps which doesn't actually go above 4. They're always promoting gigabit service but when I call and ask when they'll provide anything better than the 4 that I pay at the 6 rate to my area, they say they don't know. Comcast is the local cable monopoly here and, at one point, they had planned to offer Internet and phone service here but they decided to overbuild those services in Orlando instead.

I even tried to see if I could get bonded DSL from CenturyLink but they told me they only offer it in places where their single line service is 10Mbps or better -- in other words, places where you wouldn't need it as much.

By the way, I've looked into satellite services and, while they are better than they were a few years ago, they all have some fairly stringent bandwidth caps and, of course, lag times are always going to be far longer than terrestrial service.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I have Verizon FIOS 75/75. However they've sold to Frontier and service has gotten sketchy. Tampa should be getting Google Fiber in the next couple years. Can't wait.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.