Is Kelly Barnhill doomed by illegal pitches?

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
Her lifetime habit and "untimely" illegal pitch calls by Georgia umps led to 3 homers back to back last night in Georgia. It started with 2 outs in the bottom of this first, after getting a pop out to end the inning she was saddled with an illegal pitch and then gave up the homer...and then 2 more. It was obvious she was afraid to pitch and was pulled in the 3rd. I remember this spelling the end to a former star pitcher in the World Series a few years back. Certainly a bad omen if nothing else.

Gator87

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
She still hasn’t learned to throw an off speed pitch. Good hitters can hit a fastball all day no matter how fast it is and if you see a pitcher enough times and see nothing but fastballs you’re eventually going to time it up. Another thing is that she has been playing for the USA during the summer and the international pitching rules are different than the NCAA rules. In international softball you don’t have to keep one foot on the ground when you push off the rubber.

Ocalaman

Mar 7, 2018
She still hasn’t learned to throw an off speed pitch. Good hitters can hit a fastball all day no matter how fast it is and if you see a pitcher enough times and see nothing but fastballs you’re eventually going to time it up. Another thing is that she has been playing for the USA during the summer and the international pitching rules are different than the NCAA rules. In international softball you don’t have to keep one foot on the ground when you push off the rubber.
It's ridiculous that the NCAA rules on this are different from pro & international softball. And the purpose of calling the illegal pitch is to keep the pitcher from gaining an advantage with an extra pushoff. Barnhill's little hop in no way does that for her. So technically it's an illegal pitch, but not in violation of the spirit of the rule. And I agree that if she wants to be a truly great pitcher, she's going to have to develop some type of offspeed pitch instead of relying on pure power. But it's going to be hard for her to develop a new pitch and adjust her pitching motion in the middle of the season. Stephanie Brombacher was the pitcher who got destroyed by umps calling illegal pitches in the WCWS several years ago after having almost none called on her all year.

Last edited:

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Try watching a few games and I bet you'll get hooked. I've been a college softball fan for 25 years, way before the Gators became nationally relevant. Pretty exciting sport to me.

I’ve watched the World Series and it just doesn’t do it for me. Not sure why, but it doesn’t. Obviously I enjoy seeing UF winning championships though.

Ocalaman

Mar 7, 2018
I’ve watched the World Series and it just doesn’t do it for me. Not sure why, but it doesn’t. Obviously I enjoy seeing UF winning championships though.
Yep - to each his own. I love the Florida Gators and would watch them in tree bark chewing competition if they had a chance to win a title! :)

Blacklabgator

Lurking Member
Lifetime Member
Jul 7, 2014
Eh. She’s been illegal long before she got to Florida. If she wasn’t so dominating it probably wouldn’t get called

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Try watching a few games and I bet you'll get hooked. I've been a college softball fan for 25 years, way before the Gators became nationally relevant. Pretty exciting sport to me.

Agreed. I got started watching about 15 years ago and I am a big fan now.

I have gotten older and more cynical about gator sports. That is, I just can't praise a program or a coach too much until they win it all. Tim Walton and his program shut me up a few years ago so I am a big fan now and I enjoy watching them play.
I said the same thing about Sully until he shut me up this past summer.

g8tr72

Lifetime Member
Jun 8, 2016
Love Gator softball.

Not a "new" controversy.

Based on my understanding of the rules, most of KB's pitches are definitely illegal. Her right foot leaves the rubber, leaves contact with the ground and then makes contact again before the pitch is released. Her right foot appears to bear her weight again prior to release of the ball - she "crowhops."

This video shows a much less egregious example of her mechanics.

Here is where the illegal pitch calls started in the 1st game of the UGA series. KB was very consistent with her (illegal) mechanics up to this point, but the ump chose a very interesting time to start enforcing the rule. If you watch closely, you can clearly see her right foot leave the dirt on most of her pitches.

MADGator

This space intentionally left blank
Jan 28, 2015
Here is where the illegal pitch calls started in the 1st game of the UGA series. KB was very consistent with her (illegal) mechanics up to this point, but the ump chose a very interesting time to start enforcing the rule. If you watch closely, you can clearly see her right foot leave the dirt on most of her pitches.

Holy shyt. I hadn't seen this but what a bunch of crap by that home plate ump. I realize that softball has some quirky differences from baseball but in hardball if the pitcher commits a balk it is called immediately and emphatically; I saw nothing from this ump until the hitter was turning back to the dugout and the ump kinda surreptitiously gives a little wave for her to come back to the plate. Damn man if it's an illegal pitch then call the damn thing!

And FVKC the dwags!

g8tr72

Lifetime Member
Jun 8, 2016
Holy shyt. I hadn't seen this but what a bunch of crap by that home plate ump. I realize that softball has some quirky differences from baseball but in hardball if the pitcher commits a balk it is called immediately and emphatically; I saw nothing from this ump until the hitter was turning back to the dugout and the ump kinda surreptitiously gives a little wave for her to come back to the plate. Damn man if it's an illegal pitch then call the damn thing!

And FVKC the dwags!

The illegal pitch call is made by the third base umpire. The home plate ump is reacting to his call. But yes, it was late and the timing questionable, especially given that her mechanics were consistent throughout the inning.

The UGA home run threat was bailed out from a flyout on a 0-2 count with two outs. They went on to hit back-to-back-to-back homers all with 2 outs.

EDIT: Forgot to add, the last illegal pitch was called on a called 3rd strike to end the 1st inning. Here it is.....

Last edited:

MADGator

Jan 28, 2015
The illegal pitch call is made by the third base umpire. The home plate ump is reacting to his call. But yes, it was late and the timing questionable, especially given that her mechanics were consistent throughout the inning.

The UGA home run threat was bailed out from a flyout on a 0-2 count with two outs. They went on to hit back-to-back-to-back homers all with 2 outs.
So let me be sure we're on the same page; is the illegal pitch call the total responsibility of the third base ump and not home plate? It would make sense given the better viewpoint. Or can any of them call it? Funny how you don't know as much as you think you do when it comes to these small issues.

Totally agree with the questionable timing and if the third base ump made the call then it was even more egregious because that guy did absolutely nothing from what I could see. I mean, even the announcers didn't see it!

g8tr72

Lifetime Member
Jun 8, 2016
From my understanding, any ump can make the call, but for a RHP, the 3rd base ump has the best view of her right leg/foot.

MADGator

Jan 28, 2015

I caught the fever a few years ago and just love it. The smaller dimensions make for quick paced action and I too find it a lot of fun to watch. Been to several games this year but haven't been able to make a baseball game yet, although SEC Network+ is awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator