It was just a matter of time

How would you grade the Gators performance?

• B

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • C

Votes: 48 42.1%
  • D

Votes: 54 47.4%
  • F

Votes: 6 5.3%

• Total voters

Gatormac2112

The Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Sep 7, 2014
It was just a matter of time before the talent gap reared it’s ugly head. It did today. The thing is, even though it was a tough pill to swallow, this game leaves me encouraged for the future.

The horrid recruiting in recent years is just too much to overcome, yet we are still very competitive. That speaks volumes about coach Mullen and our future once we get better players across the board and the needed depth to boot.

I’m not going to speak about this player or that player and their strengths or weaknesses, I’m sure that will be covered here plenty. I’m proud of the players and coaches and know a bright future lay ahead.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
proud of how they didnt quit, well until about 5 mins left... then it seemed like they did a bit, but were probably just so tired they didnt have anything left.

anyway, alot of those kids really arent even sec caliber players, but dan has them playing their tails off. another year and we will be back to animal abuse in jacksonville and itll be oh so sweet.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I gotta admit, I got too confident about our ability to win this game. We would’ve had to play really well and we didn’t. Turnovers, missed opportunities early and piss poor defense in the second half killed us.
Oh well, we’re still a helluva lot better than I expected us to be. Let’s win out!

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I thought Mullen called a pretty good game and that the defense hung in there, though tackling was spotty and McWilliams had a tough day in coverage.

We obviously suffer from having a quarterback who cannot play with any degree of consistency.

Turnovers put us in an early hole. You don't want to be coming from behind against Georgia.

@NVGator We'll be back.

Ocalaman

Mar 7, 2018
Turnovers and the difference between Fromm & Franks were the 2 main reasons we lost. Do you think Fromm misses the TD pass on our first offensive play? CB injuries have hurt us bad and the safeties didn't play well today either. Georgia simply has more talent across the board and Mullen is getting the most out of what he's got. I just hope they can rebound quickly because Missouri is going to be a challenge.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
anyway, alot of those kids really arent even sec caliber players, but dan has them playing their tails off.
Name a player on our team that isn’t SEC caliber. You’re saying they aren’t good enough to play for Ole Miss or Vandy or Miss St. or Kentucky?

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Mistakes. You can't commit turnovers against Georgia and expect to win. Go back a week ago. Georgia made the mistakes and LSU capitalized.

It's really a simple game when you get down to it. Avoid turnovers.

diehardg8r

Sep 14, 2014
I hope that sometime in the future while I can still enjoy watching football, that this team will recruit AND develop a QB that can actually run the offense, sustain drive and win games. I'm tired of the QB that has to be "managed" and can't read a defense without being coached from the sideline the entire freaking game. I'm also tired of some of you that continue to make excuses as to why someone else isn't at least given a chance to run this offense. Let's not forget how Danny got his shot or Fromm for that matter and both were TRUE freshman.

KronoGator

Aug 28, 2014
Any game where we need the QB to win it for us is going to be a loss, just the way it will be until we get a game changer back there.

I trust Mullen enough to think that he knows that neither Trask or Jones can do any better right now.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Name a player on our team that isn’t SEC caliber. You’re saying they aren’t good enough to play for Ole Miss or Vandy or Miss St. or Kentucky?
I feel like you're joking right now. :confused:

MissouriGator

Aug 30, 2014
Mistakes. You can't commit turnovers against Georgia and expect to win. Go back a week ago. Georgia made the mistakes and LSU capitalized.

It's really a simple game when you get down to it. Avoid turnovers.
THIS.
You cannot turn the ball over and win against a talented team. We knew that we could win this game if we played to our strengths--which is not turning the ball over and creating turnovers.
It hurt us losing Henderson, no doubt, but the turnovers hurt us more.
We hit that big play for a TD on the flea flicker and it's a different game.
I think the game plan was sound; we just didn't execute. It sucks but I'm proud of this team and their heart. That goal line stand was a thing of beauty.
What I don't understand is why we didn't blitz on 3rd and long. I guess Grantham didn't have confidence in our corners. I would have liked to see more pressure on Fromm in those situations but whatever. Ugly made the necessary 2nd half adjustments and won the game.
Still, **** Georgia.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
We committed three turnovers and they were killers, including a fumble which stopped a drive in the making and a pick in our end. Georgia converted the first into a TD. It's impossible to say what either TO prevented in terms of momentum. You just can't have turnovers and expect to win.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
All 3 turnovers had nothing to do w/ coaching and/or play calling. That was on the players (Franks & Scarlett) not protecting the ball. It was actually pretty sad. Then to waste that goal line stand and come back and do nothing was even more demoralizing. We had plenty of chances, unfortunately they played better - and out-coached us (especially on the Defensive side of the ball).

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
Yeah, it's always tough to lose - especially to UGA (whom I do truly hate). But as we were all reminded today, X&Os will only take you so far, and at this point we just don't have the players and depth needed to compete with the big boys. Like others though, I too believe/hope that the future is more promising than the dreary mess we've endured for so long now. Going into this game, I honestly thought we could hang with what I thought was an overrated Dwag team and find a way to steal one at the end. Clearly, I underestimated the talent and coaching we saw on display today on the opposite sideline - specifically the obvious differences at QB and in the now depleted secondary.

Actually, at 6-2, we're about where I thought we would be before the season started. I predicted 9-3 or maybe 8-4 at the worst. So now it's time to pull up our socks and set about the business of achieving a "strong finish." However, to be honest, the loss of another CB is a serious blow and will make that "strong finish" considerably more difficult. Right now I see us losing at least 1 more and possibly 2. I also think that Jones is the future at QB and the sooner we get to that future the better. Franks is who he is. He's better that he was, but today we saw what an actual SEC QB looks like and Franks will never reach that level. Ever.

Since we officially are back to "rebuilding season" status, why not yield to the inevitable and give EJ some valuable experience in the last third of the season? We don't know what EJ can do at this point, but we know everything there is to know about FF. There are no championships to worry about and the most important task that lies before us now is the development of what young talent we do currently have. Which brings me to the ten thousand pound gorilla in the room: If we don't get a serious infusion of talent in the next two classes, we are royally screwed and DM will ultimately fail. I'm not bailing at the first sign of trouble, but facts are facts, and if the talent level doesn't improve dramatically, we are doomed to also-ran status for the foreseeable future. Recruit and develop - that is all..

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
We also left the defense out there way too long. Trask running out of the end zone was a mistake by my criteria. If you want to do that go wildcat with at better runner. The defense never quit, but could not get pressure against pass protection like it got against run blocking. Why that was so is a question I don't have an answer to. This will be a good challenge to recover for our next game, none of them are givens now.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
McWilliams and Stiner for starters
don't name names, it's silly. All the kids played their hearts out, including the secondary players who just don't have the talent. I'm proud of this team, they gave it everything they had. Just didn't have quite enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.