It's all about the QB

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
OK... it's not all about the QB, but if you look at the last 5 years where the Gators have failed to have success they have also failed to have a top QB.

UM recruited Brantley, Murphy and Driskel. Muschamp finaled the recruiting for Driskel and brought in Brissett. None of these guys were successful at UF and contrary to what many say Brissett and Murphy really haven't been that successful elsewhere... not enough to succeed at UF.

I know most people will blame Muschamp and QB development on this, but what if it is just a string of bad luck when it comes to recruiting. As much as teams and players to their best to evaluate and develop... sometimes the top guys don't pan out.

Johnny Manziel was a 3 star QB who was being recruited a safety for some schools. Remember Garrett Gilbert.. you probably don't... 5* recruit and Gatorade player of the year... was supposed to be a superstar at Texas... complete bust.

It seems like we have had a string of QB recruiting busts from both Meyer and Muschamp that have killed us.

This is one of the reasons why I think we really need to start Treon. Let's see if this kid can play... we've got to hit on one of these kids sometime soon... let's give him a chance!

TheBigClaw

Founding Member
Proud to be a Gator
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I agree. Him, Grier, anyone. Driskel plays hard but he's a bust, pretty evident at this point

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Any coach with sense would have gone after a qb after the 12 season. Staver and morningwig were recruited as back ups . They've recruited the position poorly imo.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n79673 said:
Any coach with sense would have gone after a qb after the 12 season. Staver and morningwig were recruited as back ups . They've recruited the position poorly imo.

and offensive line, wide reciever and tight end.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n79685 said:

these positions aswell. That's what I believe has been one of his biggest downfalls is his roster management when it comes to recruiting.

Oct 5, 2014
I predict each of them will throw at least one interception. If you recall, Treon Harris only threw four passes against Tennessee, but one of them was very nearly intercepted at the right sideline near the line of scrimmage.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Yep sticking with Driskel no matter what has definitely hurt us. I think if Harris is the starter by the Georgia game we may have a chance to win the East.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I agree on recruiting. Muschamp has lost battles on key WRs. He has done better at OL than any other position and the OL is finally starting to play well. They aren't great, but they are average.

It's hard to get a top QB when you have two other QBs on the roster, so I see why he had a tough time after the 2012 season.

I also agree that Treon may throw an INT, but as a true freshman I am more OK with him making mistakes as long as he learns from them and doesn't repeat them. The problem with Driskel is we already know he is going to continue to make the same mistakes over and over again. At worst they are equal, but Treon has a ton more upside.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
ATXGator;n79719 said:
I agree on recruiting. Muschamp has lost battles on key WRs. He has done better at OL than any other position and the OL is finally starting to play well. They aren't great, but they are average.

It's hard to get a top QB when you have two other QBs on the roster, so I see why he had a tough time after the 2012 season.

I also agree that Treon may throw an INT, but as a true freshman I am more OK with him making mistakes as long as he learns from them and doesn't repeat them. The problem with Driskel is we already know he is going to continue to make the same mistakes over and over again. At worst they are equal, but Treon has a ton more upside.

The problem that I have with giving WM a pass for his QB recruiting is that after the 2012 season, possibly even in the Sugar Bowl, the position should've been opened up again. Yes, JD had done some really good things for us up to that point. But we were generally abysmal on offense, had won nothing of any consequence, and had two highly rated QBs. The job should not have been essentially handed to Jeff post that season. But, as I've touched on in other posts, the problem is Muschamp doesn't see anything wrong with how 2012 went offensively. At various times last year, he reminded us of the 2012 season and the "success" we'd had. He wasn't, and still isn't willing to recognize that 2012--despite its good record--was not sustainable. We needed a QB that season in recruiting. But more than anything, we needed to retain what we had, and we stubbornly refused to do that.

I actually thought JD played well at times on Saturday. Hopefully Harris plays even better. But until we change the mindset along the sidelines, thins won't change all that much. Again, even factoring in the cupcakes we play each season, plus weak opponents like VU, ut, and Uk, we're averaging approx 25 points a game, and winning by an average of less than 6. That's ridiculous and the biggest culprit to our record over the past 4 years.

Let's also not forget that we had one of the best HS TEs in the country on our squad just a year ago, and had him behind two converted defensive players because we like blocking better. Play that hand smart, and we're all praising JD for his game-winning TD pass the other night.

GatorFin

Jul 24, 2014
soflagator;n79753 said:
The problem that I have with giving WM a pass for his QB recruiting is that after the 2012 season, possibly even in the Sugar Bowl, the position should've been opened up again. Yes, JD had done some really good things for us up to that point. But we were generally abysmal on offense, had won nothing of any consequence, and had two highly rated QBs. The job should not have been essentially handed to Jeff post that season. But, as I've touched on in other posts, the problem is Muschamp doesn't see anything wrong with how 2012 went offensively. At various times last year, he reminded us of the 2012 season and the "success" we'd had. He wasn't, and still isn't willing to recognize that 2012--despite its good record--was not sustainable. We needed a QB that season in recruiting. But more than anything, we needed to retain what we had, and we stubbornly refused to do that.

I actually thought JD played well at times on Saturday. Hopefully Harris plays even better. But until we change the mindset along the sidelines, thins won't change all that much. Again, even factoring in the cupcakes we play each season, plus weak opponents like VU, ut, and Uk, we're averaging approx 25 points a game, and winning by an average of less than 6. That's ridiculous and the biggest culprit to our record over the past 4 years.

Let's also not forget that we had one of the best HS TEs in the country on our squad just a year ago, and had him behind two converted defensive players because we like blocking better. Play that hand smart, and we're all praising JD for his game-winning TD pass the other night.

Was just thinking of how bad the situation is where a #1 QB throwing to a # 1 TE became a bottom 10 statistical QB throwing to a converted Defensive End.

NCOGator

Sep 5, 2014
If it is all about the QB as you say then why haven't we gotten the all star QB Florida should get? I say that is because of the coaching. Love or hate Driskel, but what he said about "running plays to set up a punt" was crazy! What kind of QB would want to play for a coach like that. Can you think of Marino or Elway coming into the huddle and saying this, "Okay guys all we need is about 15 yards on this drive. Then we can punt it down to inside the 10. Then a few series later we may have good enough field position to kick a FG and win 9-7."

Sorry it is coaching in my book.

Gatorbreath

Founding Member
The original "Breath" of the GCMB.
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The OP is spot on.

Leave aside for a moment that CWM has had ample time to recruit for the position and that wins and losses are ultimately his responsibility; despite all of our best efforts to give the game away last Saturday, we'd have beaten LSU were it not for JD. Merely slightly better QB play and not turning the ball over as much would have won the game for us. And yes, it all wasn't JD's fault, but the Westbrook drop and all of the other gems fall into the "all our best efforts to give them the game" category. Slightly better QB play wins the game. Period.

Consider how handicapped this team is with JD at QB. Likely Roper can only use a fraction of his playbook for fear of a stupid throw into coverage or some other mistake or turnover; we hamstring our passing game making our offense one dimensional. We have to gameplan around our own QB as much as the opponent's defenses. Consider how that impacts the other phases of the game - especially the defense.

Yes, Muschamp is responsible for the whole mess - but I really believe we'll see things improve instantly once JD is out of the picture. The kid just doesn't have it.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
NCOGator;n79795 said:
If it is all about the QB as you say then why haven't we gotten the all star QB Florida should get? I say that is because of the coaching. Love or hate Driskel, but what he said about "running plays to set up a punt" was crazy! What kind of QB would want to play for a coach like that. Can you think of Marino or Elway coming into the huddle and saying this, "Okay guys all we need is about 15 yards on this drive. Then we can punt it down to inside the 10. Then a few series later we may have good enough field position to kick a FG and win 9-7."

Sorry it is coaching in my book.

It absolutely is. I still have no idea why some are so reluctant to accept what is staring them in the face.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Gatorbreath;n79804 said:
The OP is spot on.

Leave aside for a moment that CWM has had ample time to recruit for the position and that wins and losses are ultimately his responsibility; despite all of our best efforts to give the game away last Saturday, we'd have beaten LSU were it not for JD. Merely slightly better QB play and not turning the ball over as much would have won the game for us. And yes, it all wasn't JD's fault, but the Westbrook drop and all of the other gems fall into the "all our best efforts to give them the game" category. Slightly better QB play wins the game. Period.

Consider how handicapped this team is with JD at QB. Likely Roper can only use a fraction of his playbook for fear of a stupid throw into coverage or some other mistake or turnover; we hamstring our passing game making our offense one dimensional. We have to gameplan around our own QB as much as the opponent's defenses. Consider how that impacts the other phases of the game - especially the defense.

Yes, Muschamp is responsible for the whole mess - but I really believe we'll see things improve instantly once JD is out of the picture. The kid just doesn't have it.

Slightly better Defensive Back play, we win that game. Better linebacker play we win that game. When the crowd can tell you the opponent is going to run and to which sign and the linebacker is still going the wrong way, there is an issue. Better reciever play, we win that game. What is the handicap the recievers make by dropping balls (4 Saturday Night, 22 overall). This team is an overall cluster, and just changing the qb isn't be a cure all.

G 2

Founding Member
Gator Great
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
This isn't rocket science. Not only do you need talent but you need solid coaching too. All or nothing statements are just stupid and make excuses for failure.

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
TheDouglas78;n79685 said:
Yep. This is why it is referred to as a team sport.
more-you-know.gif

Gatorbreath

Founding Member
The original "Breath" of the GCMB.
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n79814 said:
Originally posted by Gatorbreath View Post
The OP is spot on.

Slightly better Defensive Back play, we win that game. Better linebacker play we win that game. When the crowd can tell you the opponent is going to run and to which sign and the linebacker is still going the wrong way, there is an issue. Better reciever play, we win that game. What is the handicap the recievers make by dropping balls (4 Saturday Night, 22 overall). This team is an overall cluster, and just changing the qb isn't be a cure all.

Hard to argue with the DB play in all of our last 3 games, especially Bammer and LSU. By all that is holy, I have NEVER seen receivers more open than Cooper and the rest a few weeks ago. And converting that 4th down last Saturday....

There is no cure-all, I agree. And I take your point and agree that everything is a mess and that's CWM's fault.

That said, you watch. If Treon comes in and allows Roper to open things up - even just a bit, and eliminates turnovers, momentum will pick up quickly and impact the entire team. Heck, we saw it against the Buttchuggers in the 4th quarter.

There's is no magic pill to this mess - aside from a coaching change. But improved QB play will come pretty damned close.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Gatorbreath;n79826 said:
Hard to argue with the DB play in all of our last 3 games, especially Bammer and LSU. By all that is holy, I have NEVER seen receivers more open than Cooper and the rest a few weeks ago. And converting that 4th down last Saturday....

There is no cure-all, I agree. And I take your point and agree that everything is a mess and that's CWM's fault.

That said, you watch. If Treon comes in and allows Roper to open things up - even just a bit, and eliminates turnovers, momentum will pick up quickly and impact the entire team. Heck, we saw it against the Buttchuggers in the 4th quarter.

There's is no magic pill to this mess - aside from a coaching change. But improved QB play will come pretty damned close.

We are assuming that a guy who is 4-6 in his college career is all the sudden going to make us marketly better. Now I do feel the Offense at Tennesse had more life when he came in. But at the same time it was at Tennesse and Driskel was being pretty god awful. But take away his two touchdowns against the highschool team, he is 2-4 for 17 yards. One of his passes would have been a pick 6 against Alabama or LSU. That being said I beleive Harris deserves a shot, I just think we are fooling ourselves if the thought is the product is going to be marketly better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator