IU whacks Archie Miller

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
So where does Indiana go from here? There last 2 hires have been from coaches who had great success at smaller schools (Crean at Marquette and Miller at Dayton), but have not translated to success at IU. So when Crean was canned those delusional fans at IU were convinced they were going to hire Brad Stevens from the Celtics. Well that obviously was a pipe dream but what about now? Fast forward and Stevens is still an excellent coach but perhaps the NBA has begun to take its toll? I have always said that when the head coaching job comes open at either Duke, UNC, UK and KU, Brad Stevens (or agent) will be the first person called by all 4 schools. And let's be honest, Duke and UNC are not that far away from having to make that decision. So could IU get aggressive, see if Stevens is interested in returning to the state of Indiana before one of the big 4 schools gives Stevens a call with a wad of cash attached to it?

And if IU wants my suggestion, I recommend they call Mike ASAP!!!!!!

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Miller was a popular choice on GC and we all scratched our heads when mw was picked. I haven't followed iu, so i don't know why Miller couldn't make it work, but I think it's worth the gamble to see if he can recruit/coach better in a warmer climate. I just don't see anything from mw that suggests he can outperform his Elite 8 miracle Cheeze win.

Towels 'N Sporks

We R Bad Cause Urban Cheated on Wife
May 19, 2016
Miller was a popular choice on GC and we all scratched our heads when mw was picked. I haven't followed iu, so i don't know why Miller couldn't make it work, but I think it's worth the gamble to see if he can recruit/coach better in a warmer climate. I just don't see anything from mw that suggests he can outperform his Elite 8 miracle Cheeze win.

Yeah and it really was a miracle. I'm pretty sure we were up big in the last 6 or 7 minutes of that game and let Wisconsin come all the way back. I think we were up substantially in the next game against South Carolina and couldn't score in the last 5 minutes so they ended up coming back to win and make the final 4.

Even his best year with the best run in the tournament he had a soft team that couldn't close games out and had to be saved by a 20 foot running floater

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

Miller is who I wanted and thought IU made a great hire...perhaps my eval of him sucked. I still think White sucks

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
IU is a lousy job. Much like Nebraska in football, their time has passed.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
everybody sucks..........until they dont.............My new SI had a story about "The Program". As if Gonzaga has ever won anything. I call it white boy U. Its all recruiting and the magic of getting stars to buy in and maybe stay an extra year. But usually and mostly, chemistry. So maybe we need a scientist.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah and it really was a miracle. I'm pretty sure we were up big in the last 6 or 7 minutes of that game and let Wisconsin come all the way back. I think we were up substantially in the next game against South Carolina and couldn't score in the last 5 minutes so they ended up coming back to win and make the final 4.

Even his best year with the best run in the tournament he had a soft team that couldn't close games out and had to be saved by a 20 foot running floater

Great point!!

That game should never have gone to overtime.
He was showing us exactly who he was early on and we were blinded by the win.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Billy D will get the Duke, UNC, or Syracuse job when they open.

Perhaps the Cuse job if he wants, but who wants to live in Cuse? And perhaps you have a point with UNC or Duke, but I still contend Stevens is #1 on the wish list.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Perhaps the Cuse job if he wants, but who wants to live in Cuse? And perhaps you have a point with UNC or Duke, but I still contend Stevens is #1 on the wish list.

If Donovan comes back to the college game, it'll be at an established blue blood that is not UK, since when Cheatapari leaves, the NCAA will nail them, just like at UMass and Memphis.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah he REALLY flopped at IU. He didn't recruit very well and had a losing record in the Big Ten where he should have excelled. His teams were very inconsistent and never really gelled. Sound familiar? Except White has had a better record at UF overall and in the conference. I still hope for Brad Stevens at UF in a year or two. Would Miller be a good fit at UF? Didn't he have some sort of allegations against him recently? Not sure we would want that baggage here and he simply was underwhelming at a big name school and just a blah hire it would seem.

The coach Indiana wants, and the coach the Hoosiers can probably get

Interesting read about IU and their possible candidates.

Quote from the article, "Two recurring on-floor issues under Miller were Indiana's lack of consistent shooting -- a problem the fan base constantly harped on when lamenting the team's recruiting and roster construction -- and its affinity for "letdown" games." Here I was thinking that we were the ONLY team that had those problems. Gotta make shots.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator