James Franklin Presser

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
He’s basically asked why he doesn’t just throw the ball down field to stretch the defense, regardless of what the defense is.

His response is hilarious.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Remember Spurriers mindset?

3rd and long, throw the ling ball. Either he catches it, pass interference or an int. An int is the same as a punt.

(of course, he was speaking generally. We also had QBs that could throw and WRs that could fight for the ball).

I like Spurriers mindset.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Have said this before, but I didn’t want to let him leave the swamp that day after Vanderbilt, 2013. He isn’t wildly popular here, and I don’t know that we would’ve definitively won any championships, but I can just about guarantee the last 10 years would have been a hell of a lot better if we had. At a minimum, the recruiting would’ve never reached the lows it reached, allowing uga to become what it’s become.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
I doubt anyone wants to throw hail marys down field all the time. Thats what Franklin sounded like. No, send your receivers down field and give them the opportunity to catch a long ball. But remember, scared money dont make money so....

I Have No Friends :(

Founding Member
Gator Bait! It's only racist to dumb Fuchs
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Have said this before, but I didn’t want to let him leave the swamp that day after Vanderbilt, 2013. He isn’t wildly popular here, and I don’t know that we would’ve definitively won any championships, but I can just about guarantee the last 10 years would have been a hell of a lot better if we had. At a minimum, the recruiting would’ve never reached the lows it reached, allowing uga to become what it’s become.
Yeah, well, covering up rape by his players has a funny way of making people not want to hire the guy :lol: Other than that, I agree with you.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
He’s basically asked why he doesn’t just throw the ball down field to stretch the defense, regardless of what the defense is.

His response is hilarious.

It is funny and it’s an ignorant question, but Franklin’s response is typical of today’s coaches where making a questioner look stupid is more important than getting the jist of their question. In this case, the real question is why not more deep throws? Franklin could probably explain it better and maybe make a guy feel better about being a Pedo fan, but no; he goes off and humiliates the guy instead. The guy probably deserved it, but there’s better ways to treat the fan base.

Years ago I saw Saban really embarrass a young reporter asking a dumb question. He’s won a ton of titles before and since so it’s OK, right? He probably created an enemy unnecessarily, but in his case it won’t matter. For most people it’s a mistake.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
It is funny and it’s an ignorant question, but Franklin’s response is typical of today’s coaches where making a questioner look stupid is more important than getting the jist of their question. In this case, the real question is why not more deep throws? Franklin could probably explain it better and maybe make a guy feel better about being a Pedo fan, but no; he goes off and humiliates the guy instead. The guy probably deserved it, but there’s better ways to treat the fan base.

Years ago I saw Saban really embarrass a young reporter asking a dumb question. He’s won a ton of titles before and since so it’s OK, right? He probably created an enemy unnecessarily, but in his case it won’t matter. For most people it’s a mistake.
Agreed, the intent of the question was clear and it wasn't some insane suggestion. Why aren't we trying to stretch the field more? Even if a guy isn't wide open, the threat of knowing an offense is willing to take some shots keeps the defense honest and covering the entire field. Franklin knew this and so did everyone else, but he just chose to be a collosal prick about it and feign fake indignation. Honestly the only person that looked ridiculous in that exchange was him.

Tunaboat

4th & 34
Lifetime Member
Nov 22, 2015
I understood the guy's question from the get-go and Franklin jumped on his high horse and tried to frame the reporter as being a smartazz for asking a legit question. Put away the knives coach and answer the question. Why not open the defense by making them cover the whole field? Maybe electrify the team and fans with a big play and turn the game in your favor.. Not a bad question at all coach, but your response was juvenile - sucked.

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
I think this question derives from something Stewart Mandel wrote about today. PSU is near the very bottom of the country in explosive play rate, which per Bill Conolly has almost as strong a correlation to winning as turnovers. Not sure where we rank in plays over 20 yards. PSU has only 12 on the season and it is among the country's worst.

For comparison, UF has 22 on the season. It might be double if the cutoff was at 19 yards, or less than 5 if the cutoff was over 25 yards. But, we have substantially more "explosive" plays than Penn st. Oddly, we only had 1 against UT, but 7 against Charlotte, despite only scoring 22.

Last edited:

PastyStoole

Founding Member
Man, there's no boundary line to art. ~Bird Parker
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
"Coach, just a follow-up question to that last one. If your players, say, gang-raped a co-ed, would you blame the victim and protect your players so they could be on the field Saturday?"
"I mean, would you do that again if that happened again?"

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Yeah, well, covering up rape by his players has a funny way of making people not want to hire the guy :lol: Other than that, I agree with you.

The reason I never put much stock in those allegations is that Foley apparently thought the world of him. So much so that he went out of his way to go to the visitors locker room and personally congratulate Franklin. Think he also did it at his presser. Now don’t get me wrong. The guy has zero nose for talented head coaches. But he has a very high “moral” “don’t embarrass the University” standard. Plus JF has been offered a ton of head coaching jobs since. I don’t think he’s so great that you put up with that baggage if there was anything supporting it. No different than Briles at Baylor.

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
Dude has won just a bit more than **** at Pedo U (conference his third year) and they have damn near as good of resources he would have here.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Dude has won just a bit more than **** at Pedo U (conference his third year) and they have damn near as good of resources he would have here.

As I said, not sure he’d have won a title here or not. But he inherited an absolute mess at Psu while they were still reeling the Paterno issues, and he’s been solid the whole time once he got up and running, with the COVID year being the outlier and ‘21 where they went 7-6…a record we’re crossing our fingers for this season, and one that beats 4 of the seasons we’ve had in that same span.

And they may have resources, but they are a considerable little brother to OhSt and Michigan in their conference. Again, maybe we don’t win the SEC at all, but we’d be in better shape over the last 10 years, and I would have liked seeing what he could do here.

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
As I said, not sure he’d have won a title here or not. But he inherited an absolute mess at Psu while they were still reeling the Paterno issues, and he’s been solid the whole time once he got up and running, with the COVID year being the outlier and ‘21 where they went 7-6…a record we’re crossing our fingers for this season, and one that beats 4 of the seasons we’ve had in that same span.

And they may have resources, but they are a considerable little brother to OhSt and Michigan in their conference. Again, maybe we don’t win the SEC at all, but we’d be in better shape over the last 10 years, and I would have liked seeing what he could do here.
I've often thought Franklin was better than any of the yahoo's we've hired recently. Should have grabbed him before Pedo State.

ted

Aug 24, 2019
I've often thought Franklin was better than any of the yahoo's we've hired recently. Should have grabbed him before Pedo State.
Right now , Franklin is paid Jimbo type money and producing Jimbo results. He has a 5 star quarterback, two NFL running backs , a top 5 draft pick OT and bunch of WR and TE’s that will at least be in camp with NFL teams in August 24 and his offense is worse than what Muschamp produced. The Penn State fans are fed with the mediocrity on offense with so much talent. It will be interesting how his tenure in Happy Valley ends up.

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014
Right now , Franklin is paid Jimbo type money and producing Jimbo results. He has a 5 star quarterback, two NFL running backs , a top 5 draft pick OT and bunch of WR and TE’s that will at least be in camp with NFL teams in August 24 and his offense is worse than what Muschamp produced. The Penn State fans are fed with the mediocrity on offense with so much talent. It will be interesting how his tenure in Happy Valley ends up.
Shocked to hear that QB was a 5 star.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator