JUCO DL Javier Edwards is a Gator

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Also, I think athleticism in a DT is overrated. We want size. Where we want athleticism, is at linebacker. All of our national championship teams have had some big boys at DT.

Big DTs clogging lanes and then fast, athletic linebackers cleaning it up.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I really don't know. But according to a tweet I saw, Rumph is really excited about both these kids because he has felt that we have been missing size at DT.

Personally, I think we need another JUCO DT.
There is probably room for another to smooth out the peaks and valleys...

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Also, I think athleticism in a DT is overrated. We want size. Where we want athleticism, is at linebacker. All of our national championship teams have had some big boys at DT.

And letting safety's do what their supposed to do....play safety. How many times in the last few years have we had someone bust off a huge play because they hit a seam and our safety's were out of position, or had someone(LSU & Mich.) throwing bombs because our safety's were too close to the los in run support instead of supporting our CB's in coverage.

The value of size and strength on the defensive line goes beyond stats and star rankings it changes the entire effectiveness of a defense. If a guy develops enough to be both a space eater and stat grabber look out...Can anyone imagine what our defense would have been like over the last few years with a guy like Suh or Cody in the middle. Talk about dominance.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Lots of Cody references. He had offers from Bama. Auburn, FSU, Miami, etc. Seems a little different than this guy. Big doesn't automatically mean good. In Mac we trust!

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Lots of Cody references. He had offers from Bama. Auburn, FSU, Miami, etc. Seems a little different than this guy. Big doesn't automatically mean good. In Mac we trust!
True. Omar Hunter was a 5 star who did next to nothing until his last season when he became decent, by no means great. Would that make him any better than the average 3 star?

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Here we go again. Javier grew an inch in 28 posts. It must be in the water.

It's only on this site. Ox denies using "Supporting Members" funds, so maybe he's using it to grow guys stats by the post?

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Another fine example of pumper extraordinaire. No problem 3 star lover. I'm finding my way to accept mediocrity. Sorry it took me so long. I'm getting there. Pretty soon I will be saying things like..."Just STFU. You really add nothing. You don't know shyt about football and all you do is bytch. We will be fighting people off these DTs in weeks"

FIFY

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
True. Omar Hunter was a 5 star who did next to nothing until his last season when he became decent, by no means great. Would that make him any better than the average 3 star?
He had back issues. But he was pretty decent when he was in there. He always required two blockers.

That's a big damn deal. I know it's not as sexy as a sack, or even a tackle on a running play, but its a big damn deal.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
He had back issues. But he was pretty decent when he was in there. He always required two blockers.

That's a big damn deal. I know it's not as sexy as a sack, or even a tackle on a running play, but its a big damn deal.
Yeah he had a good year in 12. He pushed a lot of stuff outside where Floyd and Easly got the stat. He also did a great job of sniffing out screen plays. My comment was just trying to show how despite being recruited by everyone on the planet and being a 5 star played out in his case. The expectations Meyer placed on him were crazy. Maybe this kid will be average but he is only a 3 star and his importance could be felt more in transitioning this defense into one that is built to dominate regardless of the opponent.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
We did take andrew Ivie (joey's brother) and yes he was lower ranked, but he's big and strong as heck. Here's to hoping he grows into a stud. Saw him walking campus one dau and he's big but its all muscle. dude looks like an olympic heavy lifter

Hopefully the kid can play!

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member

I have to agree with that. Remember the big fat guy that played for Green Bay for eons. He couldn't move and nobody could move him either.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
This is HUGE Florida, HUGE!

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Law thinks sacks are sexy.
snl-ambiguously-gay_0.jpg

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

You would hope that the sub 5.0 40 time is due to some explosiveness

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.