Just for grins, let's go head coach shopping

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I don't know if he would go for an OC position after TAM and Houston.... But if so I'll take him

He might not have a choice... I don't know how many big time programs will take a HC who has not had success. This game against UCLA might really close the door for him. It seems like OC would be the perfect spot for him.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
He might not have a choice... I don't know how many big time programs will take a HC who has not had success. This game against UCLA might really close the door for him. It seems like OC would be the perfect spot for him.

One good year as an OC and he'd have a HC gig again. I think he gets one anyhow.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
One good year as an OC and he'd have a HC gig again. I think he gets one anyhow.

I'll take him for that one good year... maybe it would be enough to show what a good OC can do and get us another one.

Lake Gator

SUBMARINERS GO DEEPER
Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
As referenced earlier by Zambo, let's see how DJ Durkin does at Maryland this year. If he is competitive or upsets either Penn State, Michigan, or Ohio State and has a winning record, he deserves a look. He substitute-coached Gators to victory in a bowl when Muschamp stepped away, rose quickly thru the ranks to become a successful coordinator and has SEC/BIG 10 experience. Maryland just beat Tom Herman's Longhorns in Austin so he's off to a good start.

First though, I am not against replacing Nussmeier b4 season's end (da soona da betta).

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
This thread in itself is depressing.... I haven't seen one name that really stands out.

Fleck is still unproven
Gundy hasn't even won theBig12

I just doesn't seem like there is a great coach out there, yet we know what we have isn't working... I feel like we could be in for another 5 or 6 years of bad football

Disagree about Gundy. He's had a ton of success at Ok State, can you imagine what he could do with the talent we have here in FL?

Gatorjunky47

Jan 19, 2016
I can agree with that

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Let's try some logic for a change.

First every large program has as much money as we do, so offering Saban 25M just means he gets a raise to 26M. Same with most other big program and successful coaches.

Some unemployed coaches might be an option. SOS might be a bridge coach if he was asked by say the Bull Gators. Les Miles was interested in a lesser position so he might be an option as well.

People want a coach who shows no interest in coming back to college even on the west coast where he might be more comfortable, so while it would be fine to offer and perhaps OX should make contact I don't think this is happening.

Perhaps an NFL assistant that has some connection to UF might be a possibility, who is a great question.

GatorSkin

Founding Member
Nord for President 2020
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Let's try some logic for a change.

First every large program has as much money as we do, so offering Saban 25M just means he gets a raise to 26M. Same with most other big program and successful coaches.

Some unemployed coaches might be an option. SOS might be a bridge coach if he was asked by say the Bull Gators. Les Miles was interested in a lesser position so he might be an option as well.

People want a coach who shows no interest in coming back to college even on the west coast where he might be more comfortable, so while it would be fine to offer and perhaps OX should make contact I don't think this is happening.

Perhaps an NFL assistant that has some connection to UF might be a possibility, who is a great question.
Kelly didn't have any interest in coming back to college when he thought he would get a job in the NFL he interviewed for a couple of jobs and got turned down.
Unless he's just not interested in coaching again college football is his only option.
He's not an NFL coach and never will be again.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Disagree about Gundy. He's had a ton of success at Ok State, can you imagine what he could do with the talent we have here in FL?

Probably give up 35 points a game. He's a great offensive coach and he'd win a lot of games here, but I don't think he'd ever field a good enough defense to win a championship.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Fuente would be a solid option, but I doubt he's leaving VT for UF unless there is a tremendous amount of money involved. I've never been to Blacksburg, but it must be a decent place because it seems like coaches go there and stay for a while (Beamer, Foster).

To me, a guy like Gundy would be a mistake. Plus I doubt he's leaving his alma mater at this stage of his career unless TBP wants it to happen.

I could get behind Fedora, though I'm not sure he's a complete coach. But his staying at UNC despite being mentioned for other big jobs makes me wonder if he's just not interested in the high stakes element of those programs. He wins 9 games there and he's lauded. Here, that would have him on the hotseat within 3 years.

I have to agree with Ox on Kelly. I don't know if he'd be willing to come here, and I'll reiterate that he'd be as much a mercenary as Meyer was(maybe more) and would be hard to hang on to for more than just a few years. So we'd need more forethought on his eventual replacement than we did the last go around. But the draw to him, imo, is the name. Right now this state is dominated by Fisher, with Richt also commanding attention. The conference is owned by Saban. We need a name that turns heads and immediately puts us in the same conversation as those coaches. I'm sure guys like Fleck and those other up and comers are nice. But with the UF brand where it's at, and the programs and coaches we're having to go up against, we simply can't have another "who?" or "yeah he's the guy from ___, right?" type of hire. It has to be someone that is nationally recognizable and creates the perception that UF is once again a force right away.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
As referenced earlier by Zambo, let's see how DJ Durkin does at Maryland this year. If he is competitive or upsets either Penn State, Michigan, or Ohio State and has a winning record, he deserves a look. He substitute-coached Gators to victory in a bowl when Muschamp stepped away, rose quickly thru the ranks to become a successful coordinator and has SEC/BIG 10 experience. Maryland just beat Tom Herman's Longhorns in Austin so he's off to a good start.

First though, I am not against replacing Nussmeier b4 season's end (da soona da betta).
Dj seems like a good guy and good recruiter. And in any other situation would be definitely someone to consider. But we need a coach from the offensive side of the ball.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Probably give up 35 points a game. He's a great offensive coach and he'd win a lot of games here, but I don't think he'd ever field a good enough defense to win a championship.

Well first off, I'm desperate for offense, so I'm willing to look past that. That's how bad it is.

Second and lastly, SEC offenses suck. His defense would automatically be better if he came over to the league still running 3 yards and a cloud of dust offense. Throw in the FL athletes he can get on D and he is 100% worth it to me.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member

Define success? Has he won the Big 12? What is his record against OU? It's 2-10 if you are wondering...

He had been there long enough to turn recruiting around and compete better than that... don't you think?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
. It has to be someone that is nationally recognizable and creates the perception that UF is once again a force right away.
Thisband lots of it The next hire cant be another "WTF? Who did the eff StrickFool hire?" again. It cant be another low energy guy, it cant be a ball control run the clock out and punt guy (Saban Miles etc).

Florida football is about throwing the ball around. Florida produces WRs like no other state. Any 1950s option or I formation guy (Fuentes or Tressel junior at Minnesota) should be nonstarters.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
People said the same thing about SOS, and the brutal truth is most of the SEC (except aTm) couldnt score 35 points against air. Sunbelt teams hold us to 20 points often.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Define success? Has he won the Big 12? What is his record against OU? It's 2-10 if you are wondering...

He had been there long enough to turn recruiting around and compete better than that... don't you think?

He's at Ok state dude, not necessarily a powerhouse with a history. He consistently pumps out top offenses and has his team in the top 15-20 teams with little talent.

Gimme Gundy, at least we will be entertained!

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
One of you two dudes is going to have to change avs. I'm seeing double.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

Thats like expecting usf to beat uf everu year. Huge difference between ou and osu

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator