Kentucky & whether or not Florida is truly southern

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah I'm gonna disagree. I've lived in 3/4 of the southern states at 1 point or another. Florida isnt southern, it's just a state with beaches, hicks and northeast transplants. And Florida man, lots of Florida man.
angry get out GIF

Bait'n Gator

Go away..... bait'n
Lifetime Member
Mar 14, 2015
The truth is Kentucky is more "south" than Florida is. Florida isn't really south at all. The panhandle is redneck but its not really southern. Bourbon and horses are better than meth heads and Florida man. That's for sure :lol:
Yeah It's good for 4 or 5 Saturdays a year and maybe a week in the keys every other year. Besides that fuch that trash ass state. :lol:

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Listen, I think you’re great. I even asked for a second windbreaker for you. But you live in LA. So I kinda assumed you’d just sit this one out altogether, or you know, maybe start a diversionary topic like “Hey, am I the only one that still likes Mr Pibb?” or something.
Mr. Pibb
Its Been A Long Time Waiting GIF

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
unfortunately truth hurts. some of yall wouldnt know what an actual southern state looks or feels like because youve never lived outside of florida except in yankee areas. looking at you sofla :stickpoke:

I’ll give you that it’s not a true southern state, and have argued that many times before. But I also find it funny that we romanticize what it means to be a true southern state and culture, then, in the same breath point out that Nalt and his kind are typically pushing 4 bills, laugh that vol fans have very few teeth, bash places like Mississippi for being, well, Mississippi, and are infuriated when our current head coach from ga/La takes an hour and a half to say his ABC’s. Yes, Florida would be great if we had more of that.

Also, @Bait'n Gator , thanks again for costing us the Senate. Twice. Nothing says “southern” like elected officials pushing the trans movement.

1712763521832.gif

And just to keep this thread on topic, sadly the state of Gator sports still isn’t very good.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
unfortunately truth hurts. some of yall wouldnt know what an actual southern state looks or feels like because youve never lived outside of florida except in yankee areas. looking at you sofla :stickpoke:

I’ve lived in

Florida
Georgia
Texas
North Carolina

Did I make a southern state in there anywhere?

LaylaGator

Born to Hate Florida State
Lifetime Member
Feb 28, 2021
When I went to Emory Law, I always joked that I moved north to the South.

No, Florida is not the South. It's better than the South. It's FLORIDA.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
So, I lived in the southern part of Florida (LA), Alabama, and Texas. Alabama and LA are as southern as it gets. Old Florida has to include the Keys except for Dogbone. Kentucky ain't southern because they were on the wrong side of the late unpleasantness. Alabama, South Carolina, and Arkansas are southern. Texas is Texan. Louisiana is Cajun. Tennessee is will toothless. North Carolina and Virginia have been overwhelmed with Yankess and Georgia with Atlanta. The Georgia coast however is southern.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
So, I lived in the southern part of Florida (LA), Alabama, and Texas. Alabama and LA are as southern as it gets. Old Florida has to include the Keys except for Dogbone. Kentucky ain't southern because they were on the wrong side of the late unpleasantness. Alabama, South Carolina, and Arkansas are southern. Texas is Texan. Louisiana is Cajun. Tennessee is will toothless. North Carolina and Virginia have been overwhelmed with Yankess and Georgia with Atlanta. The Georgia coast however is southern.
The southern part of Florida is not LA. LA is the panhandle and in the north. And LA isn't southern, it's just redneck. I still like it, and have lived here most of my life. Actually grew up here, then moved back as an adult. It's a good area, but it's not "southern" in the traditional sense. There's a significant difference between north Florida and southern Alabama.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I’ll give you that it’s not a true southern state, and have argued that many times before. But I also find it funny that we romanticize what it means to be a true southern state and culture, then, in the same breath point out that Nalt and his kind are typically pushing 4 bills, laugh that vol fans.......
To the bold - exactly.

To the rest - all inference on everyone's part in the thread. Not being southern is not a bad thing and I haven't claimed otherwise. I stated a position that most ppl tend to agree on, Florida isn't really southern. Everything following that statement was Floridian insecurities coming out and folks showing their desire to be associated with southern culture along with some thin skin when it comes to the topic.

Truth is unless you grew up in a really small town in very rural Florida, you aren't southern. Nobody that grew up in a Florida urban location is southern, nobody south of Tampa is southern. But go to a traditional southern state and try to apply the same thing - doesn't work. Georgia, bama, sip, Tennessee, Carolina - those places are deep south whether you're in urban areas or not. And the culture is consistent and strong throughout. Just doesn't ring true for Florida and that's fine. We probably have more 1st and 2nd gen northern transplants in this state than we do actual historical Floridians. You can't be 'southern' if the majority of the population is either from or have parents who are from northern states. Sorry everyone, unless you grew up Florida rural and can track at least a few generations back, you really aren't southern.

Don't @ me.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
The southern part of Florida is not LA. LA is the panhandle and in the north. And LA isn't southern, it's just redneck. I still like it, and have lived here most of my life. Actually grew up here, then moved back as an adult. It's a good area, but it's not "southern" in the traditional sense. There's a significant difference between north Florida and southern Alabama.
No, LA is the southern part of Florida. Everything geologically south of Ocala, except some of the Keys, are Yankee infested. I grew up in Pensacola. Red Level, Brewton, Florala, Pace and Jay are as southern as you can get.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
To the bold - exactly.

To the rest - all inference on everyone's part in the thread. Not being southern is not a bad thing and I haven't claimed otherwise. I stated a position that most ppl tend to agree on, Florida isn't really southern. Everything following that statement was Floridian insecurities coming out and folks showing their desire to be associated with southern culture along with some thin skin when it comes to the topic.

Truth is unless you grew up in a really small town in very rural Florida, you aren't southern. Nobody that grew up in a Florida urban location is southern, nobody south of Tampa is southern. But go to a traditional southern state and try to apply the same thing - doesn't work. Georgia, bama, sip, Tennessee, Carolina - those places are deep south whether you're in urban areas or not. And the culture is consistent and strong throughout. Just doesn't ring true for Florida and that's fine. We probably have more 1st and 2nd gen northern transplants in this state than we do actual historical Floridians. You can't be 'southern' if the majority of the population is either from or have parents who are from northern states. Sorry everyone, unless you grew up Florida rural and can track at least a few generations back, you really aren't southern.

Don't @ me.

Meanwhile, in Atlanta…

1712835640695.gif

But yeah, I think Layla nailed it. We agree it’s not traditional south, but it’s the best state to live in at the moment I terms of the whole picture. Still some southern influence, tons of NE influence, which ftr, isn’t the worst thing in the world in a lot of respects, and some old unique Florida culture as well.

Also, I think B-52 is meaning, southern Florida in a cultural sense, not geographical sense. I was thoroughly confused as well, which is par for the course.

But mostly this was just to @ you. :lol:

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Kentucky is a dreadful place. You’d be better off flying out of Toledo or Cleveland.
Since you have never been to KY, nor will you ever visit KY, I’ll consider all your opinions about KY null and void. I’ve lived in FL half my life and KY the second half. Both have their merits and issues. I’ve enjoyed and disliked both states.

In the words of the great esteemed philosopher, Jimmy Buffett, don’t try to describe the ocean if you’ve never seen it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.