Kyle Pitts should abandon his teammates and opt out

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I'm hard core. I'm going to watch the first two defensive possessions. Then I'm quite sure I'll throw and destroy the remote and have to change channels from the box. I have planned for other activities the rest of the evening.

JDH is much smarter. He'll save himself a remote or worse.
I agree that it's impossible not to picture our Gators being down 14-0 in about 45 seconds.

Maybe they'll surprise us.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I won't watch this **** show the rest of the season so if Pitts opts out, I don't care.

Done with Mullen. Done with fat **** Todd.
damn man, two weeks ago you were slaying us for criticizing Dorky Dan.

I had some trouble understanding how a guy who understood x's and o's had that opinion. I see you were hiding it just to not join Team Realist too soon.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Kyle Pitts should abandon his teammates and opt out?

WTF kind of advice is that? This is an embarrassing thread. He got a scholarship, a UF education and a chance to succeed in the NFL and set himself up for life. Abandon his team/family and sit out the SEC championship game? This is the dumbass stuff that makes a fan base look like idiots.
allegedly someone changed the thread title. allegedly.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
allegedly someone changed the thread title. allegedly.
Only changed it from "Pitts should opt out" to "Pitts should abandon his teammates and opt out". They are the exact same thing, mine just had more detail. Pitts opting out WOULD be abandoning his teammates. Period.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Only changed it from "Pitts should opt out" to "Pitts should abandon his teammates and opt out". They are the exact same thing, mine just had more detail. Pitts opting out WOULD be abandoning his teammates. Period.
Since you said period, I believe you.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
For the record. I'd opt out if I was pitts. It was absolute horse shcit that Mullen sat him last week. It completely fuked our season

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
For the record. I'd opt out if I was pitts. It was absolute horse shcit that Mullen sat him last week. It completely fuked our season
So you'd opt out to punish Mullen? What's the thinking here?

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

That’s fine. But I’m really glad Ellis Johnson, Kevin Carter and Eddie Lake didn’t think that way in ‘94 after we botched away a 31-3 Q4 lead a week earlier, along with any national title hopes we had.

Btw, right now, our odds of actually being a 4seed with a win tonight are increasing by the second. If you’re convinced we have no chance tonight, which is reasonable, then really last week doesn’t mean a whole lot any way.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
That’s fine. But I’m really glad Ellis Johnson, Kevin Carter and Eddie Lake didn’t think that way in ‘94 after we botched away a 31-3 Q4 lead a week earlier, along with any national title hopes we had.

Btw, right now, our odds of actually being a 4seed with a win tonight are increasing by the second. If you’re convinced we have no chance tonight, which is reasonable, then really last week doesn’t mean a whole lot any way.

we have absolutely no shot at the CFP even if we beat Bama. None. No way a 2 loss team is in over a 1 loss aTm who actually beat the 2 loss team.

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017

Only dropping one spot probably makes this discussion pointless now. But, the rationale is that Pitts was risking a lifetime of money that 99.9% of the population will never know. He could have sat out all along in this weird season (many did - see LSU, fsu and others), but he risked all of that life changing opportunity for a truly great Gators' season. Contrast that with his coach, who gave off a coasting mentality for nearly a month (including discussing 2 losses before we even played LSU). While Pitts is risking it all, his coach is not even risking his game strategy or time on LSU. Pitts sitting while seemingly healthy, plus the 3 week coasting lead in, all contribute to the picture that Mullen was less dedicated than Pitts. The team reacted to the coach down the stretch too. The Kevin Carter, Ellis Johnson analogies simply don't apply. Spurrier may have lost to top 5 ranked FSU teams at the end of seasons, but they didn't just blow those games off by their behavior in advance nor lost to a 3-7 rival.

I get many would make different decisions, and good for us Gator fans that Pitts is planning to play. But, the point of this thread and take is that regardless of how upset some of us are at the way we approached the last month, culminating in the LSU loss, no one has a right to be as livid as Pitts. Mullen minimized all of Pitts' personal risk and sacrifice while acting like Marco throwing a shoe, and most likely taking us out of the CFP hunt as a result, was no big deal.

I will give Mullen some credit, though, because if today continues to break right for him, he might have been right. Being lucky to be right though, doesn't justify the mindset or poor decision making around it.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
we have absolutely no shot at the CFP even if we beat Bama. None. No way a 2 loss team is in over a 1 loss aTm who actually beat the 2 loss team.

It’s ridiculously slim, but if by some chance we beat Alabama, Osu and Isu lose, we’d be essentially neck and neck. They’d a have the head to head by a last second FG, but we’d be the SEC champs who beat the team that beat them convincingly. Extremely slim, but I could see the committee placing a lot of value on that in that scenario. Not likely, but the whole thing is unlikely.

My primary point was about ‘94. We have a championship opportunity. You play.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
As a competitor I'd want to be out there especially when we're in the hunt for the playoffs. If a coach arrogantly sits me and I have to watch my teammates lose and pretty much all hope is down the drain. I'd basically tell Mullen to fuk off. There's nothing to play for anymore. The doubt that the LSU loss instilled in this team is gonna be impossible to overcome.

no1g8r

Bringing Reason to the dumb masses
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2017
I see that absolutely no one believes that it was the medical staff who held Pitt’s out of the LSU game, not Mullen, despite all official reports saying that was the case.

This further confirms what we already knew: Mullen has lost the confidence of Chatterers. His days are truly numbered regardless of performance.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
I do wonder after tonight (assuming we lose as expected), how many of these players will bother to play in the bowl game? I'd think most higher draft eligible players wouldn't bother, very likely to have EJ at QB as well, but I kind of think Trask is the kind of player that would choose to play in that scenario.

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
I see that absolutely no one believes that it was the medical staff who held Pitt’s out of the LSU game, not Mullen, despite all official reports saying that was the case.

This further confirms what we already knew: Mullen has lost the confidence of Chatterers. His days are truly numbered regardless of performance.

Can we also stop this false narrative, after the fact, bolstering of Mullen when the strategy blew the fuchs up in Dan's face: UF star TE Kyle Pitts sits out LSU game due to injury

UF tight end Kyle Pitts is spending what could be his final game in the Swamp on the sideline.

The Gators star pass catcher sat out Saturday night’s visit from LSU due to a lingering injury. Pitts, who leads the team with 11 touchdowns catches, warmed up and ESPN’s Todd McShay reported he was dying to play, but the athletic training staff said he was a little beat up from last week’s win over Tennessee.

The head coach finally made the decision. Dan Mullen, saying, ‘You know, he’s not going to play tonight. We’re trying to make sure he’s 100% next week,’” McShay said during the ESPN broadcast.

THAT is what occurred live and prior to the strategy backfiring in a complete mess. Yes, since then, Pitts has continued to be a good teammate and call out his coach. Note the quote is also not other statements attributed to this decision. He did not say "Kyle has a great future ahead of him and we are not going to risk that if he is even a bit questionable." Nope. Straight look ahead, which is ironically the only reason I think we have any chance tonight. We've been prepping for it since the second week of November.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator