Kyle Trask to start against Kentucky?

How would you grade the Gators in Week 2?

• A

Votes: 18 12.9%
  • B

Votes: 88 63.3%
  • C

Votes: 30 21.6%
  • D

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • F

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
TBH its been so long since I've seen a decent QB in Orange and Blue I've forgot what it's like. Every fckin team in the country has better QBs than us.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
I’d be curious to see Trask vs Franks yds (in the air) per attempt. Sure did seem like Trask was more open to those intermediate routes across the middle but could be wrong. Don’t think we’ve seen trask try to uncork a deep ball yet either - maybe that was Franks advantage?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Neither have you.
I think you misunderstood. Fourth quarter Franks has been more effective too.

First through Third Quarter Franks was forced to keep running the ball bc the coach insisted on "trying to tire the defense" with an endless barrage of 1 yard runs.

I hope we get to see him throwing, but I really doubt it.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Don’t think we’ve seen trask try to uncork a deep ball yet either - maybe that was Franks advantage?
Plenty of functional QBs dont have a cannon.

We just need to make the defense respect the threat of the pass and run on most downs.

UFHealthGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 12, 2017
I think you misunderstood. Fourth quarter Franks has been more effective too.

First through Third Quarter Franks was forced to keep running the ball bc the coach insisted on "trying to tire the defense" with an endless barrage of 1 yard runs.

I hope we get to see him throwing, but I really doubt it.

I see now. But honestly do you really think Mullen is going to run Trask who was out on injuries he got in practice most of his backup career? If he is in he will be passing. Otherwise he would put Jones.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I'm suggesting this is the mystical reason for our team improvement with Trask =

= Imagine OLinemen, in their "coil", facing north, thinking: "Where do I block? I have no idea where my QB is going to be back there." = (confidence stalled.) All these on-rusher DLs looking south, know exactly, see where the QB-target is. = unsure, OL footwork gets clumsy. They cannot "practice" that aberrant blocking. FF is doing misdirection on his own linemen. That's the team's accidental predicament most every pass play. It's a not blameable but not good.

With Trask back there, Olinemen have a solid idea where their QB is and that, in little time that QB's quick-decide and quick-release gives the OL a bit more confidence they can do this. Trask's style allows the OL to decide a "strike-push" block force that can work, i.e. the rusher doesn't veer around our blocker because the line-of-attack to get to Trask is straight through him, and so our blocker knows where to stand his ground, with no doubts, no hesitancy, no imbalance. Now, Trask, most-times, executes the play before the DL executes him.

And let's see what a promotion of QB decisiveness does for our already excellent WRs?

I'm suggesting this is the main reason for the mystical team improvement that we can't quite put our finger on.

Feleipe, heal strong. Enjoy the new role of inspiring teammates. (But don't give Task any frank advice.)
Dear Trask, this is your moment in 7 years of waiting loyally.. do yourself and UF proud. You Kyle, can be one of the nation's favorite "feel-good" sports stories this year. Dream of touchdowns, young man. You now have the right to give teammates advice and encouragement full bore.
Drive your team, Trask.

Last edited:

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Seeing a QB in there with a lightning release was a breath of fresh air.

Discuss.
I'll break down the reactions to this post:

Like (6):
t-gator
UFHealthGator
revgator
Bait'n Gator
Delg8tor
Gatorup!

Facepalm (4):
MJMGator
GatorRaed
ThreatMatrix
Captain Sasquatch

Drunk (4):
BMF
GatorJ
TLB
Itraz

Stoned (3):
Gatorraid81
Sec14Gator
neteng

Dislike (2):
SeabeeGator
GatorInKnox

WTF? (2):
SamIamGator92
5-Star Finger

For those of you who downvoted me:

:moon3:

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
We’ll see what happens once teams come out in something other than a soft zone against him moving forward. UK had no idea how to defend him, but other teams will.

UFHealthGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 12, 2017
We’ll see what happens once teams come out in something other than a soft zone against him moving forward. UK had no idea how to defend him, but other teams will.

I agree Mullen just has to do what he is paid 6 million to do and figure out how to rotate QBs effectively each game for each situation instead of sticking with one QB and going with it.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014

Yeah who knows what will happen. Im just glad he did what he did last night. It at least gives us a reason to have a little hope. We aren't very good.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I'll break down the reactions to this post:

Like (6):
t-gator
UFHealthGator
revgator
Bait'n Gator
Delg8tor
Gatorup!

Facepalm (4):
MJMGator
GatorRaed
ThreatMatrix
Captain Sasquatch

Drunk (4):
BMF
GatorJ
TLB
Itraz

Stoned (3):
Gatorraid81
Sec14Gator
neteng

Dislike (2):
SeabeeGator
GatorInKnox

WTF? (2):
SamIamGator92
5-Star Finger

For those of you who downvoted me:

:moon3:

Bringing up and calling out past missteps is not what this board is all about.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
I’d be curious to see Trask vs Franks yds (in the air) per attempt. Sure did seem like Trask was more open to those intermediate routes across the middle but could be wrong. Don’t think we’ve seen trask try to uncork a deep ball yet either - maybe that was Franks advantage?

FF just over 10 yds per attemp. KT just under 10. Yds per completion FF 14.5 and KT 14.0. In the air is probably very close as well as FF had several downfield throws. It seemed we mostly stayed away from most sideway throws but did throw some RB screens.

The next 2 games are valuable for our QB’s as tuneups for the gauntlet upcoming soon.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
FF just over 10 yds per attemp. KT just under 10. Yds per completion FF 14.5 and KT 14.0. In the air is probably very close as well as FF had several downfield throws. It seemed we mostly stayed away from most sideway throws but did throw some RB screens.

The next 2 games are valuable for our QB’s as tuneups for the gauntlet upcoming soon.
I’d be really interested to see one of those throw distribution charts. I’m guessing we’d see a bunch of check downs and bombs for Franks but a mix of short and intermediate throws from Trask.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah who knows what will happen. Im just glad he did what he did last night. It at least gives us a reason to have a little hope. We aren't very good.

And we haven't been good at getting better. Can we expect to see that change? Maybe because Trask and all his teammates know 2 new QBs are going to split leadership without the previously time-domination of FF? How will that change the dynamics of practice and game-play? Surprises may emerge. Olinemen's performance may improve a tad, RBs may find some holes better,(hope DM doesn't over-favor Perrine). I have no idea what to expect? Sure seems #1-Trask should have an improvement jump compared to under-utilized Trask. Emory may have much better spells less tethered by FF favoritism.

This team's quality and character has been a mystery with the QB of very most experience, very most favored in everyone's thinking. Shouldn't UF have developed more? Will we now? Odd how DM over-favored Perrine, under-favored Swain & Hammond.?? Maybe with Trask we get more plays in, more touches by revealing more stars? We've been a mystery with doubts. Now, maybe a mystery with hopes. It's up to this UT game to provide new hope.? Hope Henderson's back, Zuniga's back.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
I think we see EJ on some run plays and Trask does the majority of passing. I still want to see EJ in passing situations though...

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I see now. But honestly do you really think Mullen is going to run Trask who was out on injuries he got in practice most of his backup career? If he is in he will be passing. Otherwise he would put Jones.
I would think no sane OC would and yet I saw him do it with Leak for two years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.