Lady Gators rolling in softball semi-regionals

Yankeetown

Gator MBA '84
Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2014
Florida 11, Alabama St 0. (5 innings)
Florida 5, UCF 0. (Closer than it looked, we added some runs late.)
Florida 8, UCF (up from loser's bracket) 0. (5 innings.)

3 games, no runs allowed. Needless to say, excellent pitching. I believe our top three pitchers are #1, #2, and #11 in the nation in ERA.
Excellent defense, timely hitting with contributions from the entire line-up.
My favorite play was probably when Kelsey Stewart stole home while the pitcher was gathering her thoughts.

Looking strong going into the Regional Finals.

If you are a sports fan, you should be watching these Gators. Serious talent. And they are the defending 2-time National Champs, going for a three-peat.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I bet that SEC tournament refocused them. Perfect timing.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014

3 games, no runs allowed. Needless to say, excellent pitching. I believe our top three pitchers are #1, #2, and #11 in the nation in ERA.
My favorite play was probably when Kelsey Stewart stole home while the pitcher was gathering her thoughts.

If you are a sports fan, you should be watching these Gators. Serious talent. And they are the defending 2-time National Champs, going for a three-peat.

Great job by the Gator Gals... here's a great photo and I noticed something... a trend if you will

image_handler.aspx

58705d8c959b856c44867b611f367ba2.jpg

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Playing the Dawgs next weekend in Gainesville best 2 out of 3 .

BostonGator84

Founding Member
Infrequent Frequenter
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Interesting...doesn't seem like they've played UGA yet this year.

UGA went 12-12 in the SEC this year. Good for 8th in the conference. On paper, we should take this easy but you never know in the Playoffs.

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Interesting...doesn't seem like they've played UGA yet this year.

UGA went 12-12 in the SEC this year. Good for 8th in the conference. On paper, we should take this easy but you never know in the Playoffs.
We only played 8 SEC teams this year.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Glad to see this...hopefully the baseball team gets it together in the SEC Tourney.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member

Very cool play. UCF pitcher threw a bases-loaded walk and while our "forced-in" runner was jogging
home from third Kelsey sprinted her "free-pass" from 2nd to 3rd and while that disappointed pitcher,
with the ball returned from catcher, turned back staring at the ground, Kelsey almost ran up the back
of her "walk-in" teammate in scoring additionally. Hilarious and swift smarts = extra run.
turned her back

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Playing the Dawgs next weekend in Gainesville best 2 out of 3 .
FYI - the super regional is Thursday/Friday - 7PM Thursday, 5PM Friday and 8PM Friday (if necessary).
Go Gators!
:chomp:

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Absolutely hilarious! The third baseman points ineffectually at stealer as if to say "Naughty, naughty! You really shouldn't do that. It's not nice."

Delg8tor

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
It surely was a great heads-up play. However in hindsight I bet the next batter wishes she hadn't stolen home. She cost her a grand slam! Not there's anything wrong with a three run HR. It just not the same.

Delg8tor

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
OK. Time to step up on my soapbox. Is anyone else tired of the announcers mis-using the phrase "walk-off"? A walk-off HR is a home run that ends the game. A HR is really the only hit that can truly be a walk-off. You cannot have a walk-off double (other than a ground rule double, that could be the other legitimate walk-off hit I guess. ) a double is earned by hitting the ball somewhere where you are able to run your ass off and make it to second base before the throw gets there. Yes your teammates scored the winning runs but it wasn't a walk-off. Same goes for singles and triples. They cannot be walk-offs because by definition you have to make it to the base before the throw gets there or you will be out and that will nullify the runs that scored in the case of a single. That actually happened over the past week. Girl hit a screamer to RF and the runner from third and possibly even second, can't remember, scored but because she hit it so hard the right fielder was able to come up throwing and threw her out at first. Runs nullified third out, inning over. But I guarantee that if she had made it to first they would have said she had a walk-off single. Fvking Idiots.
The whole reason the term came to be is because you literally can walk to your base that you earned with your hit, touch the base or home plate and then walk off the field into the high fives of your celebrating teammates.

Delg8tor

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I am not disputing that a game can or can't end on any of those plays. But other than the walk, the rest are not "walk-off" plays. Which is my point. Just about any come from behind win gets called a walk-off and it just isn't accurate. And IT DRIVES ME NUCKING FUTZ!!!!

Delg8tor

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I googled this
the term itself has been bastardized a bit from the original meaning which was strictly referring to game-winning home runs and is now used to describe ANY game-winning hit that ends a game
/
This is exactly my point. Good find!

Delg8tor

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I don't doubt the term was coined 27+ years ago. But it is just the last few years that the media has gone overboard with the "bastardized" use of the term.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.